MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
BobM
Babbling Farker

Default First HH Brisket (pr0n)

I've been wanting to do a whole packer brisket for a while. I tried a couple of trimmed flats last year, and the results were disappointing.

I was able to get an 11.5 pound, "boneless beef brisket, first and second cut" at my local Western Beef store (a New York area chain).

I originally was going to cook the brisket as one piece. When I was trimming it, I wound up with 2 groves cut on the sides, near the point end. I had found the fat layer dividing up the flat and point. I just went with it. It was quite easy to separate the 2 pieces. Besides the fat layer, the meat grain on the 2 pieces run in different directions.

I injected the brisket with:
10 ounces of beef broth
10 ounces of water
2 table spoons Worcestershire sauce

Rubbed it with:
1 part salt
1 part pepper
1 part garlic powder
1 part onion powder
1 part paprika
1 part chili powder
1 part Splenda

I fired up my 22 1/2" WSM to 325F. I Cooked both pieces, in an uncovered aluminum pan for 2 hours. I then covered them and cooked until 205F internal at the thickest part. The flat took 1 hour, 3 hours total. The point 1 1/2 hour, 3 1/2 hours total.

I took the flat off, still in the pan, wrapped it in a towel, and put it in a cooler.

I took the point out of the pan, reserved the juices, and put it back on the smoker (no pan). After 1 1/2 hour, I cut it in 1" cubes, put it in a small aluminum pan with the reserved juices, a sprinkling of Splenda and put it back on the WSM for 1/2 hour.

We ate the burnt ends as an appetizer. By that time the flat had rested for 3 hours, ready to eat.

Timeline:
Burnt ends - 5 1/2 hours
Flat slices - 6 hours

The burnt ends were an amazing burst of flavor. The fat melted in my mouth like butter.

The flat slices had a nice bark. It was very flavorful, tender and juicy.

The only complaint was that the meat was a bit salty. That is probably due to the beef broth I used.

The flat ready to go.

The point ready to go.

The point ready to cube.

Burnt ends.

Burnt ends ready to eat.

The flat after resting.

The flat ready to eat.

I learned a lot on this cook and it was a great, overall success.

Thanks to all you brethren for ideas and tips I used in this cook!

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 06-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wow, nice job!

Old 06-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
tomebokr
Got Wood.

Nice job man!
tomebokr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Greg1911
On the road to being a farker

I need to try a high heat brisket.
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]22.5" Green OTS[/COLOR]
Stainless Steel Performer
18.5" WSM
3 burner Genesis gasser
Lump
[COLOR="Red"]Astonishingly Awesome RED Themapen[/COLOR]
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Green BBQ GURU[/COLOR]
Greg1911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
amv81
Full Fledged Farker

Nice looking brisket.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

mmmmmm

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Please... nix the Splenda.

Since the FDA has no definition for “natural,” Splenda (made from "natural sugar" is the trade name for sucralose, a synthetic compound stumbled upon in 1976 by scientists in Britain seeking a new pesticide formulation.

It is true that the Splenda molecule is comprised of sucrose (sugar) — except that three of the hydroxyl groups in the molecule have been replaced by three chlorine atoms.

It is also scary to know that no study has been made of this substance further out than using it for 6 months or less. This means no one knows what it will do for a year, or 10.

Subjecting it to smoking temps is especially problem some and superflous since you are only sweetening the rub and the splenda does not behave the same way as sugar.

Lastly... there is no reason at all to use it if you have sugar problems so why risk it?

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Bob it looks delicious!! Nice job!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #9
RedPig
Full Fledged Farker

Looks excellent. Thanks for sharing with us.