The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Rib-O-Lator
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Double stacked extension ring ribs

I stacked a Cajun Bandit ring on top of a Weber ring and placed it on my kettle and turned into a mini WSM. I also used a Pitmaster IQ 110 to control my temps and it worked great, kept it steady at 250.

I also used my new home made injector and injected the spares, this thing works great. did i mention that the needles are sharp! One of my fingers found out the hard way, that will teach it for getting in the way. To bad my brain is the one doing the teaching, which means i better carry band aids.

As you can see by one some of the pics i should have pulled them a little sooner, i got sidetracked with another project but they still came out tender and juicy.

Sorry about the editing, i couldn't figure out how to slow down some of the frames.

2. 22.5 kettles
a torch and weed burner in case the others fail, or i just want to burn somthin.
and a few Rib-O-lators (ROL)
Buford UDS kettle diffuser

B-O-B 206-999-0962 info@ribolator.com
http://www.ribolator.com
Rib-O-Lator is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Nice ribbies B-O-B! Bet they was tasty! What did you inject them with...been thinking of injecting next time I cook ribs.

Everything I cook is judged by SIX!!

Daddy and Me BBQ Competition Cooking Team
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Very cool toys
WWWWFBBQADD
0 out of 1 members found this post helpful

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives. ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Rib-O-Lator
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyManBBQ View Post
Nice ribbies B-O-B! Bet they was tasty! What did you inject them with...been thinking of injecting next time I cook ribs.
they was tasty and i injected with beer.
2. 22.5 kettles
a torch and weed burner in case the others fail, or i just want to burn somthin.

Unread 05-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Very interesting! So the rib-o-later worked well, but why two extension rings? Does it need two to work? Also, I see you converted a Weber OTG style kettle for the IQ110. How do you get the ashes out? Does the feed for the IQ110 come off and you extract the ashes out of the one remaining lower vent? And do you need to reseal the other two vents closed very often?

Unread 05-15-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
BigBobBQ
is One Chatty Farker

nice looking ribs and the set up looks good too.

Home built 120 gallon stick burner on wheels,
Master Built 7-in-1 vertical,
Master Forge Charcoal grill,
open pit,
UDS,
BigBobBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Brilliant!!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
Rib-O-Lator
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatoosh View Post
Very interesting! So the rib-o-later worked well, but why two extension rings? Does it need two to work? Also, I see you converted a Weber OTG style kettle for the IQ110. How do you get the ashes out? Does the feed for the IQ110 come off and you extract the ashes out of the one remaining lower vent? And do you need to reseal the other two vents closed very often?
it only needs one ring but i am always trying something different, my AADD is in full bloom. as for the ashes i put a screen in the bottom of my charcoal baskets so most of it stays in them and i just lift and remove and yes you have to seal the other vents for the IQ to work as it should be your only source for air.
2. 22.5 kettles

Unread 05-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
ksgoosekillr
Got Wood.

tell me more about that injector you have there
ksgoosekillr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Oh yeah, the injector, way trick! I look forward to hearing how that was put together. I found a "chicken injector" down in Manila and grabbed it. Just an over-sized plastic syringe, but a whole lot better than nothing. Yours almost looks like it jaccards and injects in one swoop. Sweet!

Unread 05-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
Rib-O-Lator
Full Fledged Farker

for a number of years i had been thinking of a multi needle injector but never got around to it until my son knucklhed made me a single needle pump up injector system.

when the inside of your head is like a speeding derailed train going over a cliff, one needle is way to slow.

also, they say when you inject something it should be in a 1" grid pattern but i find that after the first few injections all the squirt-out covers my holes and i can't figure out where my 1" marks are. so then i'm like a dyslexic monkey on crack just stabbing at it not getting anywhere near the 1" grid.

So out of frustration i made the multi-needle injector. My first thought was to make it with about a dozen needles but I started out doing 6 just to get the idea down and it worked fantastical. i can inject a brisket in seconds with a perfect pattern same for anything else.

swamperb used it on a hole hog but he said the needles where to small. at the time i only had the smaller needles. now i have ones that actually hurt when you stab yourself.

SO HERE IS HOW I DID IT.

i cut a piece of acrylic 4"L X 2"H X 1"Thick. i drilled 1/4" holes about 1" deep where the needles would go ( I spaced them about 5/8 apart) followed by a larger drill bit in the same hole about 1/2 deep. then i drilled a long 1/4" horizontal hole to connect them all.

then i took some syringes and cut off about a 1/2" off the ends where the needle connects, and inserted them into the bigger holes that i made (I made the holes a little undersized so it would be a very tight fit) now i would be able to interchange big to small needles. i threaded the horizontal hole for a barbed fitting and it was done. the first one took about 2hrs or so.

then bought a 1 3/4 liter flo master pump up sprayer from home depot and modified it with a barbed fitting then attached the tubing and bada boom bada bing.

I have been thinking about selling them on my site as a number of guys have been asking for them but Im not sure what to charge. Just for the parts including sprayer, needles etc I have about $36 into it. Any thoughts as to what its worth?

the yellow you see around the needles is the super glue i used to hold the syringes tips in. i will use something different next time.

2. 22.5 kettles

Tags
BBQ Ribs, Rib-o-Lator, ribolator, rotisserie, rotisserie burgers, rotisserie ribs