喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
Riskyguy
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default WSM and a BGE?

Do any of you have both a Weber Smokey Mountain and a Big Green Egg? I have a 22" WSM and am considering getting a BGE. I think that the WSM will hold more for smoking but the BGE will serve as both a grill and a smoker.

Any thoughts on the merits of having both? My wife will kill me of course!
Riskyguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
fnbish
Babbling Farker

I have both and obviously you can really only smoke on the WSM. Though I have grilled on it using just the base and a cooking rack. The egg adds the higher heat stuff into the mix. So grilling, pizza, higher heat roasting, etc. Though I do smoke on my egg when I feel like it. I got my egg at a crazy deal and if it hadn't been for the low price I wouldn't have it. I was happy with my WSM and a weber kettle.

I do feel the egg runs more like a tank when doing the longer slower cooks. You can dial in a WSM easily, but I have had some fluctuations when it gets windy. The egg just stays put for me. I don't even run my stoker on it anymore. You are right that the WSM will hold more food, unless you get additional racks in the Egg of course. The accessories definitely add to the cost.

Also the lump conversation comes into play and using a cleaner burning fuel. Without the egg I do feel like I could still do the high heat stuff on a weber kettle (even pizza), but if you can afford it and like toys then get you an egg. It works damn well.

Other will have more input too. You really just need to figure out what you will use it for. If you wife will kill you if you got one just let her know she can get the equivalent in whatever she likes .
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
fnbish is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Grain Belt
Full Fledged Farker

We can rationalize anything. Do you "need" a BGE. Of course not. Do you want one and think it will enhance your outdoor cooking experience? Of course. Could this turn into a situation where your wife tastes the 35 day old aged new york strip off the new BGE and asks if she could have the honor of renewing your vows with her absolute stud of a cook husband? Possibly. Could the BGE be the final nail on the coffin of your outdoor cooking equip and all you will get in the future to grill on is a Mecco 700 watt electric grill that you get the privledge of steaming a boneless skinless chicken breast on once a month for your grilling? Possibly.

If you are good with the WSM and have the major smoking covered maybe you want to pick up a little OTS 18 inch weber kettle, a bag or two of lump, and sear the snot out of all the grilled food you want for about a hundred dollar bill.

Or maybe you really have your heart set on a BGE and want to rock your patio with it. More power to you. What will be your technique to rationalize your "need" to your wife if that is what you need to do?

I hunt a lot of pheasants and I have hunted with gentlemen who "need" to use $3000 shotguns. I happen to use a $300 shotgun and shoot a pretty good amount of birds and love my old shotgun. As you can tell, I am an old-school kettle man. But once in awhile I do look over at an Italian made over and under and go, damn, that's a nice gun.

To some snobbier folks a BGE or a nice Summit Weber gasser is for the commoners and they need to pick up a Viking or equiv. to really stand out in the crowd.

All we need as hobbyists is confidence in what we cook on and the food will be outstanding. If you "need" the BGE to put a little swagger in your step I bet the food will be awesome. They are also a great specialized tool that kicks butt in cold weather and can sear the hell out of a nice ribeye when called upon.
Grain Belt is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
Riskyguy

Part of me wants one for the following semi-rational reasons:

1. The food tastes better. I don't know if this is true or not.
2. The BGE will be more efficient fuel wise.
3. I have trouble with getting the WSM temps up high enough in the winter here in Colorado at an altitude of 5,000 feet.
4. The BGE temp control may be somewhat easier. I don't have an ATC on my WSM and sometimes it is a chore keeping the temps in the range that I want.

However, I probably don't want to buy one if the food will not taste better.

Thoughts everyone? Thanks for taking the time to give me some guidance!
Riskyguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Grabnabber
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
... They are also a great specialized tool that kicks butt in cold weather...
That's the main reason I got one.

Weber OTG
Cast Iron Hibachi
Large BGE
Grabnabber is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
Grabnabber
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riskyguy View Post
BGE won't make the food taste better. That's up to you.

With good fire management, the taste is probably pretty close.

Definitely more fuel efficient for cold weather BBQ during long cooks. For grilling, maybe not so much. I use both. They are both great!

Weber OTG
Cast Iron Hibachi
Large BGE

Unread 05-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

I'm fortunate to have a wife that support my bbq habit. In fact, she had a WSM before me!

We have both, well, 1 large BGE, 3-18.5 WSM's, a 22.5...just look at my signature!

But my day to day is the BGE. Why? well, it's handy, always right outside the kitchen door, and very versatile as temperature ranges go. You can do everything from cold smoking to 800+ degree steak sears and pizzas, AND, although it costs up front, your fuel costs will decrease as it's extremely efficient!

The bullets, we use for comps as they are much easier to haul around. And for slow smoking, or even higher heats up to maybe 375, they're great!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
jsperk
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riskyguy View Post
Part of me wants one for the following semi-rational reasons:

1. The food tastes better. I don't know if this is true or not.
2. The BGE will be more efficient fuel wise.
3. I have trouble with getting the WSM temps up high enough in the winter here in Colorado at an altitude of 5,000 feet.
4. The BGE temp control may be somewhat easier. I don't have an ATC on my WSM and sometimes it is a chore keeping the temps in the range that I want.

Thoughts everyone? Thanks for taking the time to give me some guidance!
I have a Weber kettle and a Grill Dome. I love having both. I know a lot people say the food off a ceramic taste better but I disagree. The chicken from kettle is just as good.
I just did baby backs on my kettle which I usually use the ceramic for and they were some of best ribs I cooked.
For what ever reason I have more fun cooking on my kettle.
Biggest advantage of ceramic is long cooks and stable temps and fuel usage, especailly in the winter months. That's why I keep my ceramic grill.
I don't cook a lot of food at once or do a lot of long smokes. I actually thought about selling my ceramic but I'll keep it just cause I may regret selling later on down the road and I know I won't ever fork out the money they want for a large ceramic after cooking on both. At least for my cooking needs I just need a Weber kettle. Just my opinion, I'm probably in the minority.
jsperk is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
Grabnabber
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
I'm fortunate to have a wife that support my bbq habit.
Amen, brother.

Weber OTG
Cast Iron Hibachi
Large BGE

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsperk View Post
I have a Weber kettle and a Grill Dome. I love having both. I know a lot people say the food off a ceramic taste better but I disagree. The chicken from kettle is just as good.
I just did baby backs on my kettle which I usually use the ceramic for and they were some of best ribs I cooked.
For what ever reason I have more fun cooking on my kettle.
Biggest advantage of ceramic is long cooks and stable temps and fuel usage, especailly in the winter months. That's why I keep my ceramic grill.
I don't cook a lot of food at once or do a lot of long smokes. I actually thought about selling my ceramic but I'll keep it just cause I may regret selling later on down the road and I know I won't ever fork out the money they want for a large ceramic after cooking on both. At least for my cooking needs I just need a Weber kettle. Just my opinion, I'm probably in the minority.
+1 - I actually prefer the taste of my bbq off the WSM's, but as jsperk mentions, the egg is fast to fire up, efficient, and does a great job. I just don't get the same depth of flavor for some reason that I've never figured out
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
hcj3rd

I have the Weber 22.5 WSM and I just purchased the CharGriller Acorn at Lowe's for $299. Its a poor mans Egg but I love mine for the money and versatility.
hcj3rd is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Poor man's egg, I like that!

FWIW. There's gotta be a way to grill on a WSM. With all the creative people around here, it can be done. A couple holes drilled, and an extra grate installed. It's a piece of metal that can be worked just like a UDS.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
goro25

I just remove the middle section - smokey joe style.
goro25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
STCL01
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a Lyftyme offset, a gas Weber, and a Large BGE. They all serve a specific purpose. The BGE is a great goto grill when you don't have the time to mess with the smoker. I do not smoke on the BGE, although I did put a turkey on it for Thanksgiving a few years ago. I do not like cooking steaks at 700 degrees as specified in the BGE instructions. I sear them then pull steaks off and drop the temp down or put the stone into diffuse the heat and cook slower. Add some woodchips and you get good flavor. I still don't think that it compares with the flavor that I get out of my Lyftyme pit. Once again they all serve a purpose. If you have a hole in your cooking supplies the BGE will fill then go for it.
STCL01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #15
GreenDrake
is one Smokin' Farker

Tools of the trade, I use my Kamado Joe more than any of my grills. Ceramics are just plain utilitarian multi-purpose grilling and smoking machines. That being said I just started a UDS build for this year to play with at comps. I think I need more deck space.