The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #16
tarheelsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zin View Post
El Ropo, i just cooked my 2nd batch of boneless short ribs, did not like either batch, everything was ok but the flavor was just not there. I will not try a 3rd batch of boneless, its bone on or nothing.
Boneless short ribs are usually cut from the chuck flap.(right behind the shoulder where the ribs start) These are also called flanken ribs They are not short ribs that are boned out. The BI short ribs usually come from the plate. The plate is along the side of the steer, along the curvature almost on the bottom. Think of it as the chest, if a steer had a chest! Two very different locations on the critter.

Those are looking great. That is a great idea to try! Going on the to do list.

Thanks for sharing!
Mike

Unread 04-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #17
Zin
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelsmoker View Post
Boneless short ribs are usually cut from the chuck flap.(right behind the shoulder where the ribs start) These are also called flanken ribs They are not short ribs that are boned out. The BI short ribs usually come from the plate. The plate is along the side of the steer, along the curvature almost on the bottom. Think of it as the chest, if a steer had a chest! Two very different locations on the critter.

Those are looking great. That is a great idea to try! Going on the to do list.

Thanks for sharing!
Mike
I always cook flanken ribs, the flanken ribs i cook always have 3-4 bones, flanken ribs are very delish. Bone just makes meat taste better.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #18
tarheelsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zin View Post
I always cook flanken ribs, the flanken ribs i cook always have 3-4 bones, flanken ribs are very delish. Bone just makes meat taste better.
Absolutely! Bone in meat tastes much better IMO. BI Flanken ribs can be hard to find! It's funny how names for the same cut of meat can be so different regionally, and certain cuts can be hard or impossible to find. I'm Lucky in that I can get Bone In chucks. Those are really hard to find. at least around here.

--Mike

Unread 04-13-2012, 04:03 AM   #19
Zin
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Absolutely! Bone in meat tastes much better IMO. BI Flanken ribs can be hard to find! It's funny how names for the same cut of meat can be so different regionally, and certain cuts can be hard or impossible to find. I'm Lucky in that I can get Bone In chucks. Those are really hard to find. at least around here.

--Mike
Here in South Tx one can pretty much find any cut of meat, flanken ribs also go by the name crosscut ribs. What i really wish i could find is a good meaty beef spare rib hard to come by, most beef spares are shiners. Imho beef spares are the grand daddy of all ribs pork or beef.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-13-2012, 05:49 AM   #20
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Look tasty to me, the only issue I see is there are so few...
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1 18.5 new to me WSM
Super Fast BLUE and RED Thermapen
1 - The Great Outdoors Smoker Sea Bug cooker
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al

Unread 04-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #21
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

Look good and yep I learned that they take much longer the hard way also!
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
2 - Super FAST, Super ACCURATE Green Thermapen1 splashproof)

"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, your best friend will be sitting right beside you on the bench saying "What a Ride!" WooHoo
aquablue22 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #22
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 2

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement! I love trying new things. Sometimes it's a win, others...an epic fail. This was somewhere in between, and I learned something new.

These seemed to cook more like brisket than pork spare ribs. Lesson learned there. It truly is like brisket on a stick, in more ways than one.

The wife and kids loved the flavor profile, just wished it was more tender, but we still ate em all. Wife suggested next time I get another pack. I think I will, and oh yeah, start earlier...
SmokeFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #23
AlanTX
Full Fledged Farker

They look great...give 'em hell next go 'round!
AlanTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #24
daninnewjersey
is One Chatty Farker

They look really good. Just give 'em a little more time and you'll nail them......

Unread 04-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #25
HandsomeSwede
Full Fledged Farker

Flanken ribs are not boneless short ribs. Flanken style is a completely different cut that results in a very thin "rib" that is cut perpendicular to the bone that leaves 2-3 small bone sections in each strip of meat. These are better cooked hot and fast. We serve these marinated overnight in my Asian Junk sauce and then grilled quick, we call it our Korean BBQ.

Unread 04-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #26
daninnewjersey
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeSwede View Post
We serve these marinated overnight in my Asian Junk sauce
That sounds really interesting...always wanted to try Korean barbecue....

Unread 04-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #27
tarheelsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeSwede View Post
Flanken ribs are not boneless short ribs. Flanken style is a completely different cut that results in a very thin "rib" that is cut perpendicular to the bone that leaves 2-3 small bone sections in each strip of meat. These are better cooked hot and fast. We serve these marinated overnight in my Asian Junk sauce and then grilled quick, we call it our Korean BBQ.
Once again, regionally, cuts have different names/availability. Here in NC, the cross cut plate is called a BI braising rib. The cross cut of a chuck flap is called a chuck strip steak, and is hard to find with bones. The flanken rib comes from the chuck flaps right along the first few ribs. If the bones were left on, it would probably look like exactly what you are describing. The original point was there were two brethren discussing why the taste and texture were different between boneless shorties and BI shorties. That was my explanation, they come from different parts of the critter. Didn't mean to stir the pot!

I also have been wanting to try Korean BBQ . You said you marinated in your Asian Junk sauce? Is this a recipe of yours , or is in commercially available? I would love to give it a spin!! (PM me!) I have tried the boneless chuck strip steaks and I like them, but I was just seasoning and grilling them. I think they would be awesome Korean style!!
It was not my intention to hijack the thread, so to the OP, great job, great idea, I have to try that soon.

--Mike

Unread 04-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #28
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 2

Quote:
It was not my intention to hijack the thread, so to the OP, great job, great idea, I have to try that soon.

--Mike

It's all good. I'm here to learn and get better. If my little cook inspires an interesting discussion, and provides an opportunity for me to learn even more, I'm seriously thrilled.
SmokeFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #29
Big George's BBQ

Looks good to m,e Have to agree with LMAJ- a good snack
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #30
Bigdog

Great looking ribs. To get them tender, try using some citrus, either in your marinade or in your foiling or both. Yes, cook them longer if they are still tough. Go by tenderness instead of temp.

Weber Platinum Kettle, Weber OTS, Meco square grill, ECB, UDS, WSM, a cool fold up camping grill, Blackstone flat top camping stove, The MOAB, and now the proud owner of a YS640, MOINK.
Pitman for All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote