喂我西摩
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Default Patio cover - Started

My easy-up lasted one season and two storms. It's time for something a little more permanent. The first post in in place. digging that hole 24" was a job. roots and more roots! more picture as I progress.

Carolina Pit Master
http://patio-q.com/
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Digging post holes by hand is no fun. Looking forward to your build!!
Blog name added to photos to slow down folks posting them elsewhere as their own. Sorry! :/
http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Wow. In another thread, I just asked how long an EZ Up usually lasts before needing replacement. One season and two storms isn't very long. Hardly seems worth it. Glad you've got an alternative. Good luck on the build. Following.
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tish View Post
Wow. In another thread, I just asked how long an EZ Up usually lasts before needing replacement. One season and two storms isn't very long. Hardly seems worth it. Glad you've got an alternative. Good luck on the build. Following.
I had one last 3 days at a comp the weather just made a turn for the worst 30mph winds, flash flood storm, temp drop into the 40 kinda like what you cooked in the other day. I took it back and got another one mine was a QuikShade 12x12 think it was 60 bucks on sale at Academy Sports, it's made well it's just the weather that killed it.

Looking forward to shaded patio your building, yep digging post holes are a real pain that's the hardest part of the job.
[B]|[/B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]HOOK'EM[/B][/COLOR] [B][B]UDS[/B]|[B][COLOR="DimGray"]MINI UDS[/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Black"]|22.5 WEBER PERF[/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Sienna"][B]|B&B[/B][/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"][B]|OAK & PECAN[/B][/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"][B]|DIGIQ[/B][COLOR="Black"][B]|[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"][B]TW8060[/B][/COLOR][B]|THERMAPEN[/B] [COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR][B]|[/B][B][COLOR="Black"]Char[/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR="Red"]-Griller[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Akorn[/COLOR][/B][B]|[/B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/thinblue.smokery"][COLOR="Red"][B]Thin[/B][/COLOR][COLOR="LightBlue"] [B]Blue[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]Smokery[/B][/COLOR][/URL][B]|[/B]
AustinKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i'm needing a covered area so this will be interesting.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
Arlin_MacRae

Git sum, Sammy! I look forward to your next hole!

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
bluetang

A permanent cover has got to be right! Don't envy that post hole diggin, I see those massive roots in the backgorund. Be cool when it's done tho. I'll be lurkin for more pics
Homegrown 120 Gallon Reverse Flow, Homey, the Homegrown frier, 1UDS, 3 Stack Pro Q Excel 20, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM, 150lb Capacity Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Bicycle Fast Polder Thermo, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
kevine
Full Fledged Farker

If you have an equipment rental location near you, it's pretty cheap to rent a post hole digger...cuts through the dirt/rocks/roots like butter and worth every penny if you have more than a few to dig

Old 04-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

I should get it done before I leave for Germany. (work related)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carolina Pit Master
http://patio-q.com/
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
dmaxphil
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevine View Post
If you have an equipment rental location near you, it's pretty cheap to rent a post hole digger...cuts through the dirt/rocks/roots like butter and worth every penny if you have more than a few to dig
+1 Save yourself now. Run to the nearest tool rental place.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

Hats off to ya for doing those by hand. It's hard work and it seems like you'll never get to the end of it. I have a neighbor with a large tractor and an auger to go with it. It's a pleasure to watch it work. He helped me do the footings for my deck. I sent him a brisket, rack of ribs and a tri-tip in return. I still feel like I got the better end of the deal.
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
Harbormaster

I know what it's like to dig holes in chitty soil brother. And up here where it freezes and all, those holes would have to be 4+ feet deep.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your build. Love to see the ideas all you guys come up with.

I should probably get pics up of my new dedicated BBQ shed. Got the floor done last weekend, getting lumber for walls and roof tomorrow.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
mallorjc
On the road to being a farker

How many holes you got to go & how long till you leave? You're obviously doin it right!, so save it for later, if you should. Bless y'all who will work so hard!

Old 04-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #14
Code3BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

This sounds lie its going to be a great build. Can't wait to see how it progresses.
KCBS & SLBS Member
Code3BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #15
andy_christy
Knows what a fatty is.

I just did the same thing at my house. Here are the results.