עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #16
HOPTOAD
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Found this in my last bag of RO lump.

HOPTOAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #17
LM600
Full Fledged Farker

Empty fag packet, nails, lengths of thin plastic strapping, stones, small lumps of concrete...all from two bags of el cheapo lump....
LM600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #18
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

That's the reason not to pour directly into cooker. There no reason to smell or taste foreign objects that could be culled out. Just look into what you're using then pour. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #19
kennyd0118
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
You better at least get one free bag out of that after you contact the company and show them those pics. That's filthy.

The only thing bad i've found so far with wicked good is too many huge pieces of logs.

I use RO too, but that is ridiculous. Just some small rocks so far. Find some WG.
It looks like a tooth from the machine they use to scoop it up. They are usually replaceable since they wear.

I love Wicked Good WW. I'm in NH so it's fairly cheap. I pay $16-$17 for a 22# bag. My only complaint is a lot of times the pieces are TOO BIG!
I usually have to break them into smaller chunks. I do sometimes find a piece of concrete in there but that is about it.

-Kenny
kennyd0118 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #20
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

I am so farkin' jealous. I found a chunk of UFO-shaped concrete in Cowboy lump that was nearly a foot in diameter and weighed well over 5 pounds (the bag was significantly heavier than the 10 pounds advertised). What you have there is REALLY cool though. That is better than anything I've ever gotten!
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #21
R2Egg2Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
You better at least get one free bag out of that after you contact the company and show them those pics. That's filthy.

The only thing bad i've found so far with wicked good is too many huge pieces of logs.

I use RO too, but that is ridiculous. Just some small rocks so far. Find some WG.
I have some WG but usually save it for my long cooks. Like you I have to bust up the "logs". Only object I've found in WG has been some nylon cord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest2906 View Post
looks like a possible native american artifact, I would take it to the museum and have it carbon dated, may be worth it's weight in gold. :)
It does look like an axe head! Maybe MartyLeach can make me a fancy custom handle for it & I can use it as a lump buster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPTOAD View Post
Found this in my last bag of RO lump.

Looks very similar but yours looks a bit more lethal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyd0118 View Post
It looks like a tooth from the machine they use to scoop it up. They are usually replaceable since they wear.

I love Wicked Good WW. I'm in NH so it's fairly cheap. I pay $16-$17 for a 22# bag. My only complaint is a lot of times the pieces are TOO BIG!
I usually have to break them into smaller chunks. I do sometimes find a piece of concrete in there but that is about it.

-Kenny
You're probably right about it being a tooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I am so farkin' jealous. I found a chunk of UFO-shaped concrete in Cowboy lump that was nearly a foot in diameter and weighed well over 5 pounds (the bag was significantly heavier than the 10 pounds advertised). What you have there is REALLY cool though. That is better than anything I've ever gotten!
Wow, 5+ lbs! That's got to be a top contender for largest & heaviest object!

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Mini BGE, Superior Smokers SS-Two, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Imperial Kamado, Santa Maria Grill, UDS (Darth Maul), Thai Charcoal cooker, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; Stoker, Rocket Red Backlit Thermapen, custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #22
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Oh, I have found onsulation as well

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #23
Bbqin fool
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
That's why I don't use lump. It's just disgusting some of the stuff you get in the bag.

So do you use KK Blue?

[COLOR=blue]Extremely Durable, Fast and Amazingly Accurate Maverick Pro Temp PT-100 Thermometer & ET-732[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]Found new homes: [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Modded Brinkmann SNP(it's finally holding temp!), 18.5" Weber kettle[/COLOR]
Bbqin fool is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #24
Bbqin fool
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I'd love to try WG but it's $25.00 a bag in my town.
Boy do I feel ya on that one Bo! Olde Towne Butcher right? I bought a bag from them and it had to have been the best lump I've ever used but just to dang much

[COLOR=blue]Extremely Durable, Fast and Amazingly Accurate Maverick Pro Temp PT-100 Thermometer & ET-732[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]Found new homes: [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Modded Brinkmann SNP(it's finally holding temp!), 18.5" Weber kettle[/COLOR]
Bbqin fool is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #25
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

A live toad.

I poured in the lump and when I went to stir it around a piece jumped. Little farker scared the heck out me. He was covered in black dust and blended right in (until he jumped that is).

CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #26
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

It is a shame Wicked Good is so expensive. I have a friend who sells it and I often trade him rubs and sauce for charcoal. Don't tell him, but I usually get the better of the deal. I also usually save that for long cooks and use RO in between.

Jason

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

XL
Big Green Egg
, 22.5 Weber OTS, WSJ
Gold/Mini WSM, 18" & 22" WSM, UDS "No.8"
Flyers Orange Thermapen
Napkin Killers BBQ
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #27
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

Wow, your hunk-o-iron ranks my biggest find.... I used to find a lot of fur. Heheheee.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #28
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

This seems like a box of Cracker Jack. I found a 6" chunk of asphalt in my last bag of RO. I've found a few rocks here and there, nothing too big and also some wire. I agree that the Wicked Good is excellent but expensive. And no complaining about the pieces being to too small either. There are some big, dense pieces in there.
Churrasqueiro Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #29
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i feel left out as i've found little to nothing and i do go through it instead of dumping it. i did find rocks in an off brand bag of lump. i think its just something thats to be expected. for sure if it rather heavy, contact ro and they should get you another bag.

Unread 04-08-2012, 01:52 AM   #30
R2Egg2Q
is One Chatty Farker

I certainly wouldn't care to find insulation or a toad in a bag but this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
kinda makes me ill

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Mini BGE, Superior Smokers SS-Two, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Imperial Kamado, Santa Maria Grill, UDS (Darth Maul), Thai Charcoal cooker, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; Stoker, Rocket Red Backlit Thermapen, custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lump, UFO