喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #9301
Ehudbenjamin
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Thanks for the input, I saw an 8" chain saw cheap that would make quick work of some branches. Free UDS food :-)
Ehudbenjamin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #9302
Nemo
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
I do notice that when building a UDS and the builder deviates from the tried and true K.I.S.S. method that this is when the trouble starts. I always advise if you possibly can to build a simple K.I.S.S. UDS and then build a second one if you want to experiment. Makes life and cooking so much more fun when your not fighting your cooker. I'm on # 11 and don't have any issues because I follow this.
I am planning on a pretty standard build, only slight difference is how I handle the lid. Since this will live outside, I am reluctant to drill 8 holes around the edge of the lid because it'll just fill up with rainwater. I know I could get a cover but since these things stay hot for so long afterwards, I expect it'll get rained on before I can get a cover on. Also, I've been known to grill in the rain.

So the side exhaust is interesting for my needs, and I can imagine the benefits, but I think I'm going to cut a 2" hole in the lid, opposite side form the ball valve intake, and then use a short stack with a threaded cap to seal things up.

So otherwise, I think it'll be a pretty conventional build.
Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #9303
msuman
Knows what a fatty is.

Ive only found one place around me that sales drums. Is $45 to high for a reconditioned unlined drum?
msuman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #9304
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuman View Post
Ive only found one place around me that sales drums. Is $45 to high for a reconditioned unlined drum?
If it isn't too high for you get it. I normal buy brand new drums for $65

Unread 03-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #9305
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Duplicate please delete.

Unread 03-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #9306
lfperkins
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I used 8-1/2" pipe nipples and caps on mine. It also helps with better heat distribution

[QUOTE=Nemo;1972749]I am planning on a pretty standard build, only slight difference is how I handle the lid. Since this will live outside, I am reluctant to drill 8 holes around the edge of the lid because it'll just fill up with rainwater.
lfperkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #9307
Beef
Full Fledged Farker

Default UDS Webber lid mod issues

I have lurked on this sight for many months, and now love my UDS. I am able to hold temps at 180 or 250 for an eternity, with the flat lid with 8 holes in it for exhaust. Thanks to y'all for the insights.

My problem is that I recently found a Webber grill lid and had to bend the rim out to fit on my UDS. I was not happy with the loose fit, so I picked up a length of 5/8 inch flat fireproof gasket from the local fireplace store, and attached it with hi-temp silicone.

I did a chucky on it yesterday and could not get the temps below 280 yikes! It was windy in Wisconsin, but what gives? Interestingly. I blocked all bottom air holes and went in the house, and when I came out hours later it was still going pretty strong. Is the gasket material the wrong tool for the job, and is it just breathing air in. I intend to use a large soup can for an exhaust stack to see if that helps.

I need to do 60 lbs of pork shoulder later this week, and really really need the second grate and the domed lid. Who can offer some sage advice to a greenhorn?

Thanks
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #9308
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

Sounds like a air leak is most definitely taking place...With the lid on and some decent smoke going seems like you should be able to see where smoke is coming out.Could be wrong in my thinking...

brickie
brickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2012, 01:55 AM   #9309
BigG_UK
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

My UDS had it's first cook yesterday, What an impressive success, thanks to this Forum and all the tips and advice from everyone here, She held temp perfectly from 10:00am for an easy 10 hours when we ate everything, so I closed off the main intake and shut the exhaust to smother her, She could easily have smoked all night long, I'm sure. I'd have got 24 hours no problem, I initially loaded her with 5kg lumpwood charcoal and 1 piece of hard wood for smoke minion method, had a look this morning now it's cold and its not even used half the fuel or burnt all the piece of wood, I had her smoking away at 225-275 all day yesterday, My neighbours are all curious and asking what I've been up to, Smoking isn't common here in UK, everyone grills on an open bbq grill so my facebook album of the build is getting a lot of comments lol Cooked a bunch of sausages, A Fatty, Pork Rolls & lamb ribs. Definitely going to try bigger things next time, She peaked to 300 when I basted/turned the food but only for 10 mins and she settles back down to temp by herself, I wouldn't change a thing at the moment, apart from fitting a bottle opener I opened a couple of intakes just to experiment and she soared to 375 easily so closed it down before my ribs got too crispy back to 250F. I'm more than happy with the build. Thanks again to everyone here that gave advice. Before I lit her I also shortened the 2" bung hole exhaust down to 4" above the flat lid with just 2" below, works perfectly.

Unread 03-12-2012, 05:32 AM   #9310
BigM
Found some matches.

Iam with BigG did my first Burn on uds and was total success i just made a basic uds as i dont weld i used coal pan from a pro q excel20 as expanded metal in uk is not cheap and u have to buy big sheets.anyways did babyback 4 hrs unfoiled and they were Great

my Basic uds will mod a bit

first cook this is after bbq glaze and 4hr cook at 225-250

BigM is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #9311
WvSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
I am planning on a pretty standard build, only slight difference is how I handle the lid. Since this will live outside, I am reluctant to drill 8 holes around the edge of the lid because it'll just fill up with rainwater. I know I could get a cover but since these things stay hot for so long afterwards, I expect it'll get rained on before I can get a cover on. Also, I've been known to grill in the rain.

So the side exhaust is interesting for my needs, and I can imagine the benefits, but I think I'm going to cut a 2" hole in the lid, opposite side form the ball valve intake, and then use a short stack with a threaded cap to seal things up.

So otherwise, I think it'll be a pretty conventional build.
Make sure you weld or otherwise seal the stack to the lid. Saturday morning I found out the hard way that my cover has a hole in it. Had a half basket full of mush and an inch of water in the drum. It leaked in around the lock nut that holds the stack on.

My name is Monty, dad, or grandpa...depending on who you are.
WvSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #9312
Nemo
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvSmoke View Post
Make sure you weld or otherwise seal the stack to the lid. Saturday morning I found out the hard way that my cover has a hole in it. Had a half basket full of mush and an inch of water in the drum. It leaked in around the lock nut that holds the stack on.
Thanks for the advice, will do!
Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #9313
ButchB
Full Fledged Farker

Heres my UDS. Has a new temp gauge now. Lid is a perfect fit from a cheap dollar store 22" grill. No leaks at all and didn't have to modify either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uds.jpg (21.5 KB, 768 views)

Unread 03-14-2012, 12:05 AM   #9314
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

Okay, I've read enough for my eyes to cross. Do any of you use water basins in your drums? Or, do you just rely on the fat drippings for moisture?

Unread 03-14-2012, 03:54 AM   #9315
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

Some do; most don't. The fat dripping on the fire below adds its own flavor profile, which some folks don't care for. Try it both ways to see what you prefer. I don't use a drip pan or water pan unless I catch the drippings for gravy. When I do a turkey, I put a drip pan on the rack below it, and prime it with some water so the first drippings don't burn up. The resulting drippings get used as a base for gravy- rich, smoky gravy! Otherwise, I don't use anything.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker