ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > Gravity Fed smokers and Grills

Notices

Gravity Fed smokers and Grills We are the inventors of these Gravity Fed Smokers and Grills. Innovative and efficient, these BBQ Grills and smokers can burn multi-fuel of charcoal, Wood Pellet, Wood Chunks, Wood Logs and reach temps of 300C or 572 F.

Unread 02-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #76
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Well its 12volts and he doesn't ship it with a 110v transformer to begin with so I think this is how he gets around that concern. I am going to open it up shortly to see what we all have soon enough. It seems like a nice unit so far. Picked up a 12v power suppliy for it this afternoon at the local discount store. Will fire it up tomorrow when I put the brisket and ribs on the charbroil smoker (old one) and give it a spin. It will get the smoke test, literally, then. ;>
Unread 02-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #77
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Default It is absolutely SAFER

Quote:
Originally Posted by accuseal View Post
As someone who does business in China, Be afraid, be very afraid. For starters it is probably not up to US safety standards (electrical).

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk
The power is 12 VDC. It is MOST safe voltage.

Many made in China is poor quality as the American importers push the buying price down and down. Say Traeger 070 ex-works price in China is $199. The OEM manufacturer says if I got $20 extra, I would have used 3 mm steel instead of 1.5mm.

This controller is developed, manufactured and sold by me, not via any third party. This controller is already much cheaper than Auber,Guru, Stoker. I do not have any reason to sacrifice quality in exchange of a few extra coins. Instead I would like to pay extra cost of $10 for best quality, and then I can raise my selling price by 30% or 50%.
woodpelletsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #78
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Wang. What is the default password when connecting via your web interface? It looks like the username is admin. Guessing the password is password?
Unread 02-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #79
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Got the unit up and running. Boy does this thing ever need a good manual.
I have the golden lion unit which has wireless and does not come with the wireless handset unlike the GOLDEN-TIGER. You are supposed to be able to access it over a wireless connection using your web browser. I have not been able to complety test this just yet.

It does come up with a default wireless SSID of GOLDEN-LION and the wireless security is off or set to OPEN for those of you are familiar with networking. I ran a port scan on it and its got three open ports on it over the wireless interface. Port 23, typically used for telnet and it does respond with a telnet server but wants an admin password. Good idea since you don't want a tech savey competitor to change your settings while you are asleep.

It also has port 80 and port 1080 open as HTTP interfaces on it. When I connect to port 80 it just sits there and does not respond to get requests from the web browser. Most likely since its not quite setup right yet. I then connected to port 1080 which seems to be the admin port since it pops right up with a login prompt.
Example: http://192.168.1.15:1080.

First off a suggestion. Wang, I am going to assume you are selling to the US for the most part, I would recommend that you set the default temp display to F instead of C. Much easier for most of to use.

Second suggestion: Ship the unit with 110v transformer to 12v allow us plug this in while in the house and setup the unit like we want. Its 38 degrees outside right now where I live so I am not going to spend time outside to do this.

I stopped by my local savers/salvation army/goodwill and picked up a used laptop transformer that puts out 12volts and 1.8 amps which is more than what we need to run the fan.

Third observation. When I am looking at the T1 variable on the screen I only get part of the T on the screen. Programming bug?

Next question: You mentioned that you are going to upgrade the web interface in the next release. So how do I upgrade when you get a new firmware made available? Can I send the new firmware to the unit using the webserver or via the telnet service? Or is there a serial or USB port on the logic board inside the box?
Unread 03-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #80
landshark530
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accuseal View Post
As someone who does business in China, Be afraid, be very afraid. For starters it is probably not up to US safety standards (electrical).

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

The post regarding safety has no merit, and no basis to support such a statement.

I'm no electrician, but I'm not sure how you could start a fire in a sealed metal box smaller that a 4"x4" electrical box with 12 volts, no oxygen, and no fuel, and the whole unit is grounded.....

I had another chance to run my unit on a 7 hour pork butt cook, and it worked great. I started my fire and used the manual setting to get my smoker up to temp. Like Wang stated, you can crank up the fan in manual mode, and it's pushing 50+cfm on high. I ran it at about 30% and was at temp in no time. This is a huge time saver. I run a chargriller which can be a pain to get up to temp. I normally waste an hour+ getting it stabalized. That is no longer a problem now. I also love the fact that when I forget to put in wood and the temp drops (when I fall asleep), I can throw some wood in and put it on manual to get back up to temp. I forgot to add wood about 4 times since having the controller and it's amazing how fast I can get back up to temp.

A small 12 volt adapter will not be enough to run this unit. If your not using a solid 12 volt gel cell battery you need a power supply of atleast 2-4 amps. I am using a laptop power supply which is 4 amp output and it struggles if the fan is on high. Because of the fan's power draw, (which is fine, I'd rather have a big fan than a 5 or 10 cfm whimpy fan) you need a good power supply. The laptop supply is not made for constant output.

I'm going to convert a atx computer power supply to a bench power supply and use that to run everything. Will have enough spare power to run some lights and a radio too. (5 bucks at radio shack and a youtube tutorial).

For a battery, a the standard 7ah battery for a vexilar fish locator will work awesome. They run about 16-20 bucks at sporting goods stores. I just like tinkering, and I sold my vexilar with my spare batteries.

Last edited by landshark530; 03-02-2012 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: added info
landshark530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #81
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

please find the battery I am using, the blue thing
It is 12 VDC 1.5 A.H. Li ion battery It can power the system for 10 hours in my mini cabinet smoker. If you have a big smoker, 4 to 6 a.h. must be big enough. Here in China my battery is US$15 and charger US$15 too. Upper ruler is in cm and lower in inch
woodpelletsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 02:59 AM   #82
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Triple T the log in / password should be-

Username:admin
Password:000000

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 03:15 AM   #83
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple T BBQ View Post
Got the unit up and running. Boy does this thing ever need a good manual.
I found these instructions from other post on the internet...

Quote:
But to help you further, you can follow these steps:
Click GOLDEN-LION, click "property", Highligh Internet (TCP/IP), click "property",
Then you have two options, one is AUTO IP, the other is using following IP. click Using following IP and Input
Fixed IP address:192.168.1.16
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway Address: 192.168.1.15
DNS address:192.168.1.15
and click save(s) to close the window(s)
Then you can view it on IE by typing in 192.168.1.15
to set LION as an equipment of your wireless router in order to view via Internet you need to consult your ISP.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 04:28 AM   #84
DaveW
Got rid of the matchlight.

So has anyone actually got theirs up and running over the internet, not just on their local network???

That other post is from my thread on the Aussie BBQ forums.......... still waiting.

I'm led to believe now that I need to get my ISP involved to get it set up??? Or, maybe (still very unclear), get a degree in wireless networking and tamper with some settings on my modem/router to get it going????

What a waste of time and in no way indicated before purchase

If anyone manages to work it out I'd be all ears, any help appreciated.
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #85
landshark530
Got Wood.

you have to get into the wireless settings on your router and add the controller as a user. This may be of some help. It is instructions for connecting a wii game to your router, but will work for any wireless item.
  1. First - Manually assign an IP address to your pid controller.
  2. Manually assign an IP address to your pid controller. Assigning an IP address to your pid controller is easy!
  • Access the wireless System settings and select Select "Change Settings," and click the right blue arrow twice to reach "Auto-Obtain IP Address."
  • Click on "No" and select "Advanced Settings."
  • Now, click in the "IP Address" field to enter an IP address. Look at the brand of your router, and enter the IP address listed below into the field.
    • Linksys - enter: 192.168.001.140
    • Netgear - enter: 192.168.001.250
    • Belkin - enter: 192.168.002.090
    • D-Link - enter: 192.168.000.190
    • Apple - enter: 010.000.001.250
    • 2Wire - enter: 192.168.001.250
    • Actiontec - enter: 192.168.001.250
    • SMC Networks - enter: 192.168.002.190 Don't see your router brand listed? Click here for help with finding an IP address to enter.
  • Once the IP address is entered, select "OK."
  • Select the Subnet Mask box, then enter 255.255.255.0 and select "OK."
  • Select the Default Router box. You will need to enter the defail gateway address for your router brand. Look at the brand of your router, and enter the gateway address listed below into the field.
    • Linksys - enter: 192.168.001.001
    • Netgear - enter: 192.168.001.001
    • Belkin - enter: 192.168.002.001
    • D-Link - enter: 192.168.000.001
    • Apple - enter: 010.000.001.253
    • 2Wire - enter: 192.168.001.254
    • Actiontec - enter: 192.168.001.001
    • SMC Networks - enter: 192.168.002.001 Don't see your router brand listed? Click here for help with finding an IP address to enter.
  • Select "Confirm" but DO NOT select "Save."
  • Tap the right arrow to reach the page ro "Auto Obtain DNS."
  • Select "No" and then "Advanced Settings."
  • Click into the "Primary DNS" field and enter: 008.008.008.008
  • Click into the "Secondary DNS" field and enter: 008.008.004.004 Please note: These are public DNS's provided by Google and are subject to Google's Terms of Service. If you prefer to not use this service, doing an Internet search for "public DNS" will provide you with several other options you can use.
  • Select "Confirm," and then "Save."
If your router's ip address is 192.168.0.1 give your pid controller 192.168.0.105 or any number higher than that. the subnet mask and dns servers are all the same.

On SOME routers you can access the menu and tell it to search for a new client and then try to connect your controller and see if the router "sees" it to automatically configure it.
Unread 03-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #86
cabledawg007
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Golden Tiger on 22" WSM

Here is my review of the controller. I set my temperature at 250, and it was keeping it at that temperature throughout my test on a potato.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dcadapter.jpg (78.2 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg pid.jpg (44.4 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg P1010114.JPG (72.4 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg pid4.jpg (53.7 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg pid2.jpg (43.1 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg pid3.jpg (39.3 KB, 207 views)
cabledawg007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #87
urbanredneck

Default Remote control over the internet

Hey all- I can probably help out a bit on this one- The instructions that were given are fine for assigning an IP address, but to make it visible to the outside world, you'll also need to have a way to get to your network. An easy way to do this on normal consumer internet stuff is using http://dynamicdns.org

You'll need to sign up for a free account with them, setup a webpage with them, and then you'll need to enter that information into your router.

To do that, you'll log into the router with your user information, and go down to where it says "Dynamic DNS". Depending on the brand that may be under your advanced settings or WAN settings.

Check the box that says "Use a dynamic DNS service" and then drop down dynamicdns.org as your provider. Put in your user name and password for the website and you should be good to go on that part.

Now there is still one other thing you'll have to do to access the BBQ controller from the internet, and that's assign a "Port" to the controller. To do that, go into your "Port Forwarding" section, and select "Add Custom Service" type in the IP address you assigned to the controller, and then for the port number, it usually asks for a range, use something like 8081-8082

After you have done all this, you should be able to go to your webpage that you setup on the dynamic dns's site with the port number and get to your controller. You'll type something like this into your web browser:

http://bbqcontroller.dyndns.org:8081

Then put in your user name and password an you should be all good to go- I've done this once or twice for remote camera's and the like- principle is the same- feel free to post any questions on this thread and I'll try to help out.

Forgot- easy way to check if it's working is to go the site from your smartphone since it's outside your home network anyway.

Last edited by urbanredneck; 03-10-2012 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Edit to add a way to test it from home
urbanredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #88
urbanredneck

Oh, and I can't WAIT for mine to get here!
Unread 03-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #89
Flat_Rate
On the road to being a farker

Waiting on mine as well, have the power supply coming on Tuesday. Couldn't find a good price on a battery.
Unread 03-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #90
urbanredneck

I think these battery packs would probably do the trick- comes with the charger and whatnot too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-Porta...item256ceb4f3b

This look right?