MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Default Cooking for small group

Cooking for 20-25 people in my cigar club, 15 guys/10 gals. I was thinking four 6lb butts, 4 racks of spares, a tray of beans, cole slaw, and potato salad.

Too much? Too little? Just right? Thanks.
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

13 lbs raw butts - Two large ones
3 to 4 racks of spares
1 each half pan full of beans, slaw and potato salad

That will be plenty for 25
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm no expert but I would prefer to cook 2 larger (9-10ish lb.) butts rather than 4 smaller ones if you can find them. I think the come out more moist. How many ribs do you think each person will eat. If an average rack has 12 bones x4 that's 48 bones. So you'll have a little less than two per person. If you think everyone will only eat 2 then you should be fine with 2 large butts, 4 racks and your 2 pans of sides. If it's me i'd make 5 or 6 racks because I always freak out about running out of food. Drives my wife nuts but keeps the people happy. Again i'm no expert.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
Black Dog BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree with the others on the butts and the sides. I kind of agree with fingerlickin on the ribs, but I always make too much food for the same reason he states. But ribs make good left overs!
(2) UDS
Jenair Gasser
Black Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:05 AM   #5
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

Can you get me on the guest list? Sounds like some good chow!
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Depends on your goal I guess if you plan on having plenty of ribs for everyone to eat the amount of ribs they wat you better figure 7 to 10 racks. But a 4oz sammie and 2 to 3 ribs is a nice meal. I don't doubt that if you cooked 10 rack it would all get eaten but you will end up with left over pulled pork but that ain't too bad either :)
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote