MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
clikover
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Maverick Accuracy Issues

I got suspicious about the quality of the readings from my Maverick, so I bought a Thermoworks TW8060 to test it against...the difference in accuracy is really bad. The Maverick meat probe is ~20 degrees high and the smoke box probe is incredibly slow...it lags hugely. Eventually the Maverick smoke box probe gets to within 1 degree of the Thermoworks...but on changes, the Maverick is really inaccurate and could cause you to overshoot thinking your pit temp is way different than it is.

I WISH THERMOWORKS MADE A WIRELESS THERMO!!! Maybe if enough people asked they would consider it. The 8060 in a wireless model would be the ultimate BBQ tool...if they incorporated Bluetooth like the iGrill, they wouldn't even need to make a separate receiver, you could just use your phone. (hint, hint).
clikover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I've checked all three of my Mavericks with boiling water. All three were perfectly accurate. Mine don't take that long to get up to temp. Maybe 30 second - 45 seconds. I'm not sure what you're seeing.

I don't think the Mavericks are a commercial or industrial design. They have limitations. But for the price, they are decent.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

My ET 732 was 214 in boiling water. Close enough for me.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
bbqchicken
is One Chatty Farker

my et 73 is A OK. Can you return it?

Old 01-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Mine is 4 to 5 degrees high. Not enough to worry about in my book.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

TW8060 works great ya it would be great if they did make a wireless unit, my probs are off by 3 degrees the meat probe and the smoke prob both I got from Auber I've had them for a few months there cheap and work well. I almost got a Maverick but I got the TW8060 I'm never away from my smoker for long periods of time. Ya you should call up maverick, how long have you had it?

Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
clikover
Knows what a fatty is.

I've had it 1.5 years. Original probes. I would have thought it was accurate, until I decided to hook the Thermoworks up at the same time. The readings there make so much more sense. I don't know what the probe times are supposed to be on the Maverick, but mine are SLOW. Eventually the smoke box probe gets to the ~same temp as the Thermoworks...but like 10 minutes later! The meat probe was high by ~15 degrees the entire cook. I'm pretty positive that's what screwed up my last brisket, but given I had the Thermoworks this time...I don't have an excuse for the most recent brisket.
clikover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
Nate4e
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I just returned the food probe for my 732. After two uses it was reading about 30 degrees high ( checked it in boiling water). Their website states that will happen if/when the probe shorts out. That have a 90 day warranty, I hope yours is new!
Nate4e is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I did have high reading once. Could have been my fault. I think the food probe was to close to the bone. Now I double check with a digital 6 second thermometer that I bought from Themoworks for $15. It was America's Test Kitchen's pick for budget thermometers.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
chomper's bbq
Full Fledged Farker

Maverick sells new probes for around $12-$13. Maybe you just need a new probe.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #11
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clikover View Post
I've had it 1.5 years. Original probes. I would have thought it was accurate, until I decided to hook the Thermoworks up at the same time. The readings there make so much more sense. I don't know what the probe times are supposed to be on the Maverick, but mine are SLOW. Eventually the smoke box probe gets to the ~same temp as the Thermoworks...but like 10 minutes later! The meat probe was high by ~15 degrees the entire cook. I'm pretty positive that's what screwed up my last brisket, but given I had the Thermoworks this time...I don't have an excuse for the most recent brisket.
I could be wrong, but didn't the ET-732 hit the market in January 2011, 1 year ago?

clikover, you never stated which model Maverick you own.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I've heard a few complaints that some of the 732s will read about 20 degrees high. What is even stranger is a few reports that they will suddenly jump 20 degrees in temp. This could really be bad. The slow response time does not bother me because if I'm using them, I'd be leaving the probes in for many hours anyway. I've bought two Mavericks before and both of them were POS. I was hoping the 732s would be better, but from what I've read, they've just got different issues. I know if I took a chance, I'd end up with one with jumping temperature problems and probes that go bad after 4 cooks. Yes, still waiting for a good remote therm.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #13
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

FYI, I learned from my own experimentation, if you try and use the probes from the original E73 with the newer E732, it will be way off. 20* - 30* sounds about right.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
DVBBQ
Got Wood.

I am having issues too. My new et732 seems to be inaccurate by 20-30 high. It starts off well, 15 higher than my side mount thermo on the drum, and them will randomly shoot up 20 - 30 degrees about a few hours in. When I get the drum down to 225 on the maverick, then the drum thermo says 150-160. Doesnt seem right.

I am going to do a boiling water test tonight. This thing is brand new. I dont trust it right now...

Old 01-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
DVBBQ
Got Wood.

Alright. I got aggravated and pulled the maverick out. boiling water test put both the pit and meat thermo at 214 degrees in boiling water. These probes are working fine I guess. But there is absolutely something funky going on here.

There is no way the thermo on my drum reads 195, the stand alone oven thermo on the grate reads 220, and the maverick reads 235.

How does this make sense?

Tags
Accuracy, Maverick, Thermoworks