• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

competition vending advice

Right on, oh bro from NC.
To the new guy, you might want to consider vending an "ALTERNATIVE" to heavy BBQ. That is to say, try offering something else which isn't demanding to produce or serve, especially if others are vending the traditional BBQ heavy faire.
Twice last year while competing, we operated "Maddog's Dog House" where we offered all kinds of dogs and sausages with a zillion and one different topings including championship chili. Our big item was the $10 "Incinerator Ghost Dog". Hot link, big deli bun, pickled peppers, 5-alarm chili, onions and Oh, did I overlook the Bhut Jolokia Ghost Pepper Sauce just for good measure?!?
You should have seen the Firefighters lining up and challenging the Cops. It was "Who's man enough?" We were feeding them cold cottage cheese afterwards! It was hilarious!! Same event this year, that price is going up!
But the point is, that offered something aside from the standard BBQ items which most come there wanting but it also offered something for the little kids and we sell out when we do it. It doesn't kill us to do it and it's good cash on the side.

Interesting finding this thread here. Me and another Brethren are teaming up to compete together this summer and were JUST talking this morning about maybe trying our hands at vending at a couple of comps this year too. We're not sure exactly what menu items but are fully aware that we'll need some help working the counter and serving. Our significant others and other relatives are gonna be that help.

Not sure how big the menu should be. A giant menu just seems to mean more work and all, but may attract more customers. The turn ins come first, but we're trying to figure all that out....

Bottom line.....there was a team last year who came in 9th at a comp and made about 13 times more cash than the GC did because they also were vending. THAT is what I'm talking about!

Back