MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Default 300 burgers

I have a lunch gig in a couple of weeks that calls for 300 burgers. I can smoke them or grill them. I can hold in my smoker, cambro, or pans.

Service will be buffet with potato salad and slaw.

My current plan is to grill them, then hold in the smoker...

I would love your suggestions...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

I think you have a great idea, grill them and you can keep them warm in the smoker. Depending on the type of smoker as to how low you can hold the temps you might take them off just short of cooked, they should carry over and finish off nicely in the smoker and be ready to go.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

hold em in a pan with beef broth
tastes dang good

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Grill them and make a bath in a roaster with onions, peppers and beer.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ht=burger+bath

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree with most, cook them and cambro. Leave the smoker home.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

What size grill are you cooking on? If you cook 30 at a time by the time you get to the last batch you are talking an hour later. The first batch might be dried out holding. I would use a very fatty burger if you are going to hold

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
fil
Full Fledged Farker

Cook the first couple of batches until almost done, put in large disposable aluminum pans and add beef broth and a little worcestershire sauce. When you are getting closer to being finished cook the burgers a bit more and hold in the smoker til serving time.

fil

"Primitive summertime rite at which spirits are present, hunks of meat are sacrificed by being burnt on braziers by sauce-smeared men wearing old hats and aprons with cabalistic slogans, and human flesh is offered to insects." --Henry Beard
fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:42 AM   #8
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hughes View Post
I have a lunch gig in a couple of weeks that calls for 300 burgers. I can smoke them or grill them. I can hold in my smoker, cambro, or pans.

Service will be buffet with potato salad and slaw.

My current plan is to grill them, then hold in the smoker...

I would love your suggestions...
Have you figured out the actual burgers you will be using? I do tailgate parties for 200-300 where i do the burgers on site, so i have a little experience with this. The actual burgers used can help a lot. Fresh is way better then frozen, they cook a lot faster and you don't have to destroy them with overcooking to get them to temp. If you need to go with frozen, buy the better ones. When I use frozen, i buy at Restaurant Depot, where they have different quality levels. I use the Farmland Gold Medal angus burgers, which come in different sizes. The great thing about these is they are made with whole muscle meat, and are individually flash frozen, so they are not stuck together. They are super quick to get on the grill, just like a stack of big beef poker chips that you just toss on the grill. They also have holes to help with cooking. Season them with salt, pepper, and garlic powder (which is key) and nobody will think they are frozen.

With my party, it is a 4-5 hour affair and people gradually show up, so i don't need all at once so i can just keep churning them out. When I do need a big pile at once i pull them off the grill, toss them into a pan, cover, and stack pans on a far side of my grill with the burner underneath it off. I use a crown verity mcb72 6ft long grill with 2 3ft roll domes, so i have plenty of space to do all that, so ymmv.

Cheese is the other issue, stacking cheeseburgers does not work, and the cold cheese slice thing is lame. You can whip up a cheese sauce or use cheese whiz and have people squirt it on. A cheeseburger on a kaiser with fried or raw onions and whiz is pretty damn tasty actually.
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

We cater whole hog pork burgers and they always please! We grill until just done, then pan in sauce.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

The event went great.

My buddy Mike Hays(Smokedelic on this forum) helped me out, which was money well spent.

We did the 300 dogs in pans in the smoker and 300 burgers on a 2x5 charcoal grill(40 burgers at a time, 10 minutes per cycle). We had all the dogs and 200 or so of the burgers ready at 1120 as planned. Mike kept the burgers coming and 3 girls and I ran two lines.

They had a low turn out, 220 or so. We packed up leftovers for them and were on the road a little before 1pm.
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote