MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default TALKIN' TURKEY!! (The official/unofficial turkey thread)

SO.....Thanksgiving is right around the corner, followed by Christmas.
I know that there's always a KOZILLION turkey threads that pop up this time of year, so I thought I'd chime in with what I've learned.

Everyone feel free to post your favorite smoked/roasted/fried turkey recipe on here and I'll bookmark it and be able to just throw it up when the holidays roll around next year!

BRINING!!!

If I had one single tip for how to improve your holiday bird cook.....it would be summed up in one single word....BRINE!

A quick search on your favorite internet search engine will yield a plethera of brine recipes. Over the years, I've ended up with a pretty simple brine recipe. I have found that the salt is the real secret to a brine. All the other stuff helps a little, but to keep it easy, I like a nice and simple brine:
  • 1 gallon of water
  • 1 cup salt (I usually just do Morton's table salt, but I've also done kosher)
  • 1/2 cup sugar (sometimes white, sometimes brown.....depending on my mood)
  • About a palmful (I'd guess a TBS or more) of whole peppercorns
  • Sometimes if I feel the spirit, I'll add a squeeze of honey or maple syrup or squeeze a fresh orange or lemon
Just whip up the brine, place the completely thawed turkey SLOWLY into the brine and if necessary, top off with water to completely submerge. I've used a 5 gallon bucket before, but a 16 qt stockpot works well too. You want to make sure not to use an enhanced bird (injected) as it won't take the brine as easily and may already have salt in it. I brine my turkeys for 18-24 hours.....usually 24 hours, if I've not pushed the time limit!

One big tip that I can offer regarding brining is this.....PLAN FOR ENOUGH TIME FOR THE BIRD TO REST!!! The skin on a brined bird will also take on some moisture with the process. Pur right on the smoker, this will make more of a "rubbery" skin when finished. If, on the other hand, you take the bird out of the brine the night before the big cook and place it back in the fridge on a rack (or upside down plate in a pan....just to keep it out off the bottom and out of the water), the refer will "dehydrate" the skin a bit and allow it to tighten back up and go back to "normal". This will yield a better finish texture to the skin in the long run.

THE TURKEY CANNON:

For me, I love smoked turkey. I also love gadgets. Brother Norcoredneck turned me on to the TURKEY CANNON a couple of years ago. It' a great way to do something very similar to a "beer can turkey", but it allows the turkey to lay down so it will more easily fit on the smoker/grill.

Here's a link to a thread I posted this past spring where I utilized the cannon:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=104719

Here's more info on this awesome tool and one place where the Turkey Cannon can be found, but you can find it cheaper.....just do a quick search:
http://www.campchef.com/infusion-roa...ey-cannon.html

HERE'S THE RUB ON TURKEY RUB:

For the holidays, I don't usually do the BBQ rub thing. I prefer to make a herb/butter paste and rub it all over and under the skin. I like to use the following recipe as a base, but have tweaked it to my liking more than a few times:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/herb-tu...ub/detail.aspx

There's a TON of turkey recipes out there. I think the herbs are a great compliment to turkey. Rosemary, basil, thyme and parsley are always classic pairings with poultry in general. BUTTER is a turkey's friend too. The only caution is that adding oil, butter or any fat to the skin (especially with a higher temp cook) will surely make it darker.....which is not a BAD thing, just something to be aware of.

TRUSSING A TURKEY:

When I don't have the room on the smoker or the turkey is a bit too big for the CANNON, I'll just cut an orange, an onion and a lemon in half, stuff the cavity of the turkey with the goodies and truss it up. Trussing helps the bird cook at a more even pace and keeps the "limbs" (wings & legs) from overcooking. Here's a great video on trussing a turkey by THE MAN (IMHO):
How to Truss a Turkey-Food Network - YouTube

GET YOUR SMOKE ON!!!!

So.....I mean, it IS a BBQ/Smoking forum, right? Oh, sure you COULD plop that bad boy in the oven like Grandma used to do, but......if you've not tried or had a true smoked turkey......well......you don't know what you're missing!!!

If you've done smoked chicken, you already know that poultry doesn't need a heavy dose of smoke. In my opinion, turkey and chicken also do better with a hot & fast cook time/temp. This is not to say that smoking a turkey at 225 does NOT yield fine results, but most people like the skin on a turkey a little more crispy and less rubbery. THUS.....higher temps!

I get my smoker to at LEAST 325 before putting the bird on. I usually fire the smoker before I start any of the prep for the turkey, that way (and this is nothing new to most of you) the smoker has time to get up to temp and burn nice and clean and hot and get to the "sweet blue" smoke that we know to be the best! Place the bird on a roast rack, on the CANNON or right on the cooking grate and let it go! If using a weber kettle grill or similar device, I like to use a drip pan and heat shield (foil wrapped bricks work well) to prevent the direct heat from the coals.

I usually let my smoker go, exhaust wide open and intakes tweaked to let the smoker temp go anywhere from 325-400. YES....400! This spring, I "screwed up" and by the time I checked the smoker, it was roaring along at 450! I thought surely I'd ruined it, but it ended up being the best turkey we'd ever had! PLUS...it was done in 2 hours!

I prefer apple, pecan or cherry for my birds. Fruitwood, or any other mild smokewood, IMHO yields the more subtle results. Also, I don't use a lot. 1-2 good chunks is all that's needed for me. I like the meat to JUST have a hint of smoke. Overpowered smoke flavor is just too much for turkey for me.

WELL.....that's what I've learned over the past few years of learning how to properly smoke/fire roast turkeys!

Hope it helps someone else out there!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING BBQ-BRETHREN!!!!

25 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
1911Ron, 49erUDS72, Ag76, Al Czervik, AussieMatt, Ayvatr, basuraman, bbqwilly, Beerbreath, big brother smoke, Big Luvin, Bluebyyou, bluetang, Blythewood BBQ'er, Bob in St. Louis, Bone In, Brauma, BruceKWHP, bshm, captjoe06, Carolina gamecock, charlie263, Cherrywood, chip32, CILO, cmohr74, DaChief, daveinwestmont, dbl.cheese, Dex, dmeggers, Dwight Schrute, el_matt, Erle, ernie11, EX~DY, FamilyManBBQ, Fat Woody, FattyMcFatty, Fishhook, Fo Sizzle My Nizzle, Forrestbro, frognot, garyk1398, GMDGeek, Gore, GrandMasterQ, Grillman, gtr, hav, hittman, Humble Soul, Hwy120, Igotgas, Iroquois, Jadog, jcgearhart, jcopple, Jeff H, jerrychill, jfletcher84, jkalbaugh, jklich, Kalbi, Kamado Frank, KnucklHed BBQ, lance0623, landarc, Laraza911, LittleHill Smoke, Lone StarBQ, Mark Henderson, Meatsweat Mike, Melissaredhead, Midnight Smoke, MikeWin, MisterChrister, N8man, noclss2000, Oakswamper, oifmarine2003, Ol'Joe, otterpop, OutlawSwine, Outnumbered, palmcoastbob, PaulieG, Pa_BBQ, Phesant, pwa, Pyrotech, Q2, QansasjayhawQ, RedKamado, rev0jace, rjpfdny, Rocky Branch BBQ, Ron_L, Rubmybutt, Sammy_Shuford, Scottydont81, sdbbq1234, senorpedro, shilo201, Sillius Sodus, silverfinger, slow-smoker, smoke-n-my-i's, SmokeHouse Blues, smoker jayson, Smokie185, SmokinAussie, SmokinJohn, sooner1, stl-rich, Swine Spectator, tarheelsmoker, Tatanka, Teamfour, THoey1963, TIMMAY, tnjimbob, tom b, traylorkenneth, ttix, TwoTon, TXBronco, TX_Southpaw, Vagab0nd, Veejanz, Vexorg, Webrider, wjwheeler, woodbutcher1

Old 11-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Great read! Thanks. I am going to add the trussing video to my favorites.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Speaking of threads...

We have one going, ask your brining questions here. either there or here I'll help with any brining questions:

Ask your Brining questions here
Lastest Smokers (4) FEC100's including Twin Big Reds, FEPC1000 Pellet Grill, Cookshack 36" Charbroiler

[B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1159993040"]Smokin Okie on Facebook[/URL][/B]
A[B]uthor:[/B]
[URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010brining101.pdf"]Brining 101 PDF[/URL] & [URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010Turkey101.pdf"]Turkey 101 PDF[/URL]
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
likeadeere
is one Smokin' Farker

I read the whole thing. It's funny how no matter how many times I've cooked a turkey with great results, I'm always interested in new ideas. Thanks for taking the time to put that together. I'm gonna use some of your tips this Saturday for a cater job.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
moda253
On the road to being a farker

Does anyone know where to get a turkey cannon near Minneapolis, mn???? I need to get one for next week!
moda253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by moda253 View Post
Does anyone know where to get a turkey cannon near Minneapolis, mn???? I need to get one for next week!
http://www.campchef.com/?q=state%3A+...locator.search

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I added this to the KCQuer Roadmap to the Q-Talk Forum and also stickied it so it stays up top.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

This is what I have cooked the last two years and has turned out great!
I plan on cooking one again this year.

Its from weber on youtube now and its called,

Weber Grills - Apple-Brined Turkey with Big Time Gravy Recipe.
Sorry about the video not showing up (NOOB) just click on the link.

http://youtu.be/ZyMMdYkfrYU

I cooked this one in my fire pit with a weber lid last year.

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner! :mrgreen:
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky! :thumb:
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
nthole
Babbling Farker

What about the 'from nearly frozen' concept as seen on one of the Diner Drive-Ins and Dives Q shows?

(and I'm fully aware of the hazards - not really interested in that discussion, but for those that want to try it, the technique).
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Fried turkey for us this year. Just got the Creole Butter injectable marinade for it. Was not planning on brining since I will be injecting. Haven't made a call yet whether I should rub it or shmear some compund butter under the skin? Any suggestions?

And good idea for starting this thread!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #11
zippyt
Found some matches.

Good advice , we have been brineing our big birds for a few years , deff makes a difference !!!
Hot and quick smoking , ok we'll give it a try
zippyt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2011, 03:04 AM   #12
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Excellent post Kempis! Three years on the BBQ brethren have I been, and now I'm thinking I've gotta do my first whole Smoked Turkey!!! You're post has been extremely helpful.

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2011, 05:43 AM   #13
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I added this to the KCQuer Roadmap to the Q-Talk Forum and also stickied it so it stays up top.
Well, shucks Ron.........I feel honored!
Never had a thread get sticky'd before!

Old 11-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #14
littlechief
Knows what a fatty is.

I smoke my turkey about the same as everyone, brine, season & smoke hot and fast so my contribution is about the gravy.

Here's what I did last weekend on my UDS.

Drip pan on the bottom rack with last years smoked turkey stock (you can use canned chicken stock) onions, carrots, celery, apples, sage leaves & anything else that sounds good.

When the turkey is done put everything from the drip pan into the blender and your done.

If you like thicker gravy you can thicken it on in a pan on the stove with a roux.
I found this idea on another BBQ forum a few years ago and have been making the gravy ever since. The smoked turkey is good but the gravy is phenomenal.
I Love Gravy!

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #15
Wampus

AWESOME!!

I love gravy as well! We usually do giblet gravy on the stovetop. I've also got some canned homemade chicken stock in the pantry that I made several quarts of this spring. I think I'll try this. I always figured the drippings would burn off. Do you start with a lot if liquid to keep it from evaporating away?