MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
Gerrit_Boys
Full Fledged Farker

Default Refreezing pork?

I have some frozen pork loin that I would like to cut into chops. Is it ok to thaw, cut, and refreeze? Any insight as to why or why not would be appreciated. Thanks
Gerrit_Boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
RICK Allen
Full Fledged Farker

I have read and therefor assume it is okay to refreeze although most of us seem to shy away from it, me included, just my .................................02 and am sure there is more ,more knowledgeable here that will speak out, on this
Old 12-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

I think that it's safe, but seem to remember reading somewhere that is damages the meats cell walls, and makes the texture less than desired. Never felt like trying it though
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

ServSafe - raw meat can not be safely thawed and refrozen. As it thaws and sits to be cut and gets back down to temp afterwords the little nasties multiply. Freezing only puts them into a semi hibernation. They grow very slowly at below 28F but they do grow at 0F and if you kept them for months it would be very bad. Fortunately the pork would probably stink enough you would not actually cook it.

Now cooked meat is a little different although it's not allowed by the HD. Only 1 freezing after cooking. For home it should be OK. Personally I'd cut it frozen with an electric knife or a frozen food serrated blade.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
Gerrit_Boys
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
ServSafe - raw meat can not be safely thawed and refrozen. As it thaws and sits to be cut and gets back down to temp afterwords the little nasties multiply. Freezing only puts them into a semi hibernation. They grow very slowly at below 28F but they do grow at 0F and if you kept them for months it would be very bad. Fortunately the pork would probably stink enough you would not actually cook it.

Now cooked meat is a little different although it's not allowed by the HD. Only 1 freezing after cooking. For home it should be OK. Personally I'd cut it frozen with an electric knife or a frozen food serrated blade.
That's kinda the way I've always lived. I just didn't know why. I think I'll cook them up and give them away. Thanks for the responses.
Gerrit_Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
SouthernMagicBBQ
Got Wood.

I agree, if it thaws I never refreeze. Any leftovers get tossed to the dogs or into the trash. I don't like the results of eating a dose of nasty unseen critters just waiting to poison someone. Most of the time I don't have enough left over to feed a starving ant in the first place.