MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
scm1226
is one Smokin' Farker

Default WSM top for a UDS??

Strange I know But i have fallen into a top from a friends WSM (some warranty issue). Has anyone ever used the top for a UDS??? If so have any pictures?
Thanks,
scm1226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Lots of folks use them on drums. It takes some specific size drum or you will need to modify the top of the drum to make it fit, but it works well.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yep, I have one on mine. It didn't fit around the "rolled" top of my drum and since I also use this lid for my OTS at times, I didn't want to modify it. So instead, I just welded on some short tabs inside the drum at the top to prevent the lid from falling off. Basically, my lid sits directly on top of the rolled bead at the top of the drum.

You can see the tabs in this photo....the ones that run vertically.....hard to see. I wish I had better pic.

As you can see, the Weber lid sits on the top of the rolled edge.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
scm1226
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Yep, I have one on mine. It didn't fit around the "rolled" top of my drum and since I also use this lid for my OTS at times, I didn't want to modify it. So instead, I just welded on some short tabs inside the drum at the top to prevent the lid from falling off. Basically, my lid sits directly on top of the rolled bead at the top of the drum.

You can see the tabs in this photo....the ones that run vertically.....hard to see. I wish I had better pic.

As you can see, the Weber lid sits on the top of the rolled edge.
Is that a WSM or OTS top? Looks like a kettle top.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm1226 View Post
Strange I know But i have fallen into a top from a friends WSM (some warranty issue). Has anyone ever used the top for a UDS??? If so have any pictures?
Thanks,
Just to make sure. You are talking about a 22.5" WSM top, aren't you?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
scm1226
is one Smokin' Farker

YEs a 22.5 inch WSM top. Is there anyway to fit it to a UDS?

Old 10-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I remember one build that used a WSM lid. Let me see if I can find who did it.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #8
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm1226 View Post
Is that a WSM or OTS top? Looks like a kettle top.

Sorry. Yep....it's from my OTS. TOTALLY misread the OP. My fault.....
I read it as "Weber" top.

Dumbarse......

Old 10-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #9
Wampus

Here's a post put up by brother 4dueces. Is THIS a top or bottom?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...3&postcount=34

You'll have to ask him how he attached it.
Forgive me....I don't own a WSM so I'm not sure if that's a bottom or top.

I really AM trying to help here......

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-20-2011, 04:31 AM   #10
swamprb

The lid of a Kettle and a WSM are formed differently.

A kettle lid fits over the bowl, and a WSM fits into the center section and will not fit its own base. A kettle lid will fit the base of a WSM.

I have yet to find an open 55 gallon drum that will accept a kettle lid without the soon to be patented swamprb Kettle Flange mod or flaring the lip of the kettle lid to fit.

Mine are removable to utilize the drum lid, rotisserie rings or the Weber lid.

The majority of closed drums that I have built have been able to accept the Weber lids without any mods. Just be sure to cut the top off inside the lip edge of the barrel.

The lids of a Smokey Joe will fit on 15 gallon drums.

And my 26.75" Weber Bar-B-Q-Kettle lid fits on my 85 gallon drum.

I also have an open 30 gallon drum that is too wide for the 18" Weber lids but the flange mod will take care of the fit issue. I'll probably make that a Winter project.

YMMV

So to answer the original question - IMO, No - the WSM lid will not fit or be a suitable lid for a Drum Smoker. (but you can send it to me and I'll trade you a kettle for it!)
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2011, 04:35 AM   #11
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Here's a post put up by brother 4dueces. Is THIS a top or bottom?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...3&postcount=34

You'll have to ask him how he attached it.
Forgive me....I don't own a WSM so I'm not sure if that's a bottom or top.

I really AM trying to help here......

It is the bottom of an old Silver with the daisy wheel vents.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #12
scm1226
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the responses. I will however play around with it this summer, I will send you the pics if I come up with anything. My UDS currently has a otg lid, not a great fit though, we shall see.
Thanks,

Old 10-20-2011, 05:51 AM   #13
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

My 22.5" Weber kettle lids fit my drums perfect, no mods or anything. I am told that if you get drums with a bolt on locking ring instead of a clamp on locking ring it will fit. These drums contained food grade grease and had the bolted locking ring.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #14
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I use Weber lids on all mine. The only modification i made was to bend out the lip on the lid and then tap it back in place with a rubber hammer.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #15
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post
My 22.5" Weber kettle lids fit my drums perfect, no mods or anything. I am told that if you get drums with a bolt on locking ring instead of a clamp on locking ring it will fit. These drums contained food grade grease and had the bolted locking ring.

Nice setup!

I have (and had) drums that had both the bolt on and clamp on styles of lid rings and none of them fit the kettle lids. Early on in my drum smoker journey I used lube barrels with plastic bladders to hold the grease and they had had the bolted rings.

But looking at yours the opening is nothing like the ones I've used or seen at the local drum and barrel recycler. Nice to know they are out there!

I still feel the drum lids cook best!