ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #16
fnbish
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I started with tHe brinkmann smoke n pit and with some mods it ran decent. Then I got a wsm and wish I had started there.
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
fnbish is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #17
tmehlhorn
Full Fledged Farker

I must vote for the weber performer. It is a wonderful choice since your new. The big thing to great bbq is air control. Nothing is better than a weber at this it is the right way to learn. The performer is also one of the most versatile grills out there. can grill quit a bit of stuff, and is easily adapted for long smokes as well.

Unread 09-16-2011, 11:34 PM   #18
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If I were you and I had $300 I would just go and buy a WSM

Or drive to Glens Falls for this one http://albany.craigslist.org/hsh/2593804757.html and maybe since he's calling it a Webber Rocky Mountain he doesn't know what he has and you can offer him $150. Then go and buy this http://nh.craigslist.org/for/2593707212.html if you absolutely have to have more space for your burgers.

Or as others have mentioned get a performer I didn't see any performers on CL in your area but you could keep an eye out for one of those. Use SearchTempest to search CL btw (if you don't already) Performers are routinely selling around here on CL for around $125-$150.

Or save your money and get an XL BGE or a Primo (find an egg fest and get a used one cheaper) then you could grill direct or cook pizza at 700* or smoke a butt or brisket and sleep through the night.
fingerlickin' is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #19
spider22
Full Fledged Farker

Default weber performer

I looked at the weber performer. How is it used as a smoker? Do you burn the charcoal in that bin on the lower right hand side?
spider22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-17-2011, 09:53 AM   #20
fingerlickin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider22 View Post
I looked at the weber performer. How is it used as a smoker? Do you burn the charcoal in that bin on the lower right hand side?

You would just set it up for indirect with charcoal on one side and add some wood chunks or even chips if you only wanted a quick smoke (say for chicken). You won't be able to get near the amount of meat you could get on a WSM though. I don't know how much meat you plan on smoking at one time.

The bin on the side is plastic and is not for burning anything. You can use it as a trash can or to store your charcoal and the like.

I'm sure you'll hear it over and over but maybe you should build a UDS. I don't have one but I will at some point. Then you can pick up an extra kettle cheap on CL or even a cheap gasser if you need the extra space for grilling burgers and the like. If you had a UDS you would have plenty of room for smoking what ever you need and having a kettle and your current gasser would give you options. If you need to grill and have time you can fire up the kettle, when you're pressed for time fire up the gasser.
fingerlickin' is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #21
spider22
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellor View Post
I would keep an eye on Craigslist for used offsets if that is the way you want to go. I understand the thought process. I joined here ealier this year and went through the same thing. Everyone recommended a WSM or a UDS. But I really wanted the experience of an offset. I bought a used OK Joe for $140. Saved enough with the same budget you had to build a mini WSM for $70 and buy a Weber Master Touch for $20.

I don't know if you want to use an offset for a charcoal grill. I know you can but you will constantly be cleaning up a mess. With weber kettles so cheap used there is no reason to. Just my opinion.

But don't give up on CL. I have seen a lot of smokers on CL for NH/VT/MA this summer. You just need to keep an eye out for them. You want one that is at least 1/8" steel and not the cheaper models...
why would it be more difficult to clean this than any other charcoal grill?
spider22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #22
FlCracker
Knows what a fatty is.

I got a Trailmaster for father's day.Works pretty well without any mods.I used to have new braunfels offset with some mods that i competed with.Also I have cooked on everything from large open grills(5' x 10') to a med Spicewine and 2 dif types of stumps.Iyou want an offset get the trailmaster its not as bad as some people think.
500 gal homebuilt smoker
FlCracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #23
Oldschoolbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Default Spyder

I have one of those,assembled,and will take $100 for it,you pay shipping!

Unread 09-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #24
Ground Pounder
Full Fledged Farker

I'd def. recommend a WSM:

- Right in your budget range.
- Ready to go out of the box, no mods necessary.
- Easy to learn, with a massive, resourceful online community.
- Easy to set up, break down, clean and store.
- Doesn't take up a lot of space when it's in-use.
- Lasts forever and built rock-solid.
- Fuel efficient with lump or briqs.
- Good amount of cooking space.
- Fire management is fast and simple.
- Great resale value if you ever want to upgrade.

Unread 09-19-2011, 12:43 AM   #25
tmehlhorn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider22 View Post
I use mine all the time, i banks some coals on one side and i use a couple of bricks as a barrier and heat sink and place food on other side of grill. Here is a photo of my setup from smoking a roast. You can see the coals, bricks next to them, There is also that aluminum foil you see i was using that to block any direct heat from the coals- a have just started setting a couple of bricks above the bottom ones instead to achieve this. I also cover the half of the great under food with foil to help airflow and usueally i have a pan under it as well. This sounds like a lot maybe, but once youve done it, it really is simple
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weber setup.jpg (89.6 KB, 27 views)

Unread 09-19-2011, 07:50 AM   #26
SmokinAussie

If you learn on a COS, you can cook on ANYTHING!

Definately recommend doing it!

Cheers!

Bill
Just remember... the standard has gone up. You Americans are getting good at LAMB!

IMBAS Certified MOINK BALLER (NOSKOS RULE)
"Bullet Bill" WSM
"Blue Lou" Performer
Too many other bits of BBQ Gear to count!

SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brinkmann, COS, SNP