MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:34 AM   #8626
chief domestic engineer
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuliku View Post
A very nice solution, how did you attach the bottle OT the fan ? Or is it just leaning against it ?
yes, the bottle is just wedged against the fan. the mouth of the bottle almost fits into the intake hole. it works great.
chief domestic engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #8627
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief domestic engineer View Post
yes, the bottle is just wedged against the fan. the mouth of the bottle almost fits into the intake hole. it works great.
That is quite the perfect shot for "you're a redneck if..." :) wonderful.

However, I recommend NOT to cook with that.

The plastic will melt.

You do not need any "wind" when you get the right hole sizes going. The fire inside the barrel will create the draft for you.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #8628
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

I am using a computer blower fan (made for 1U rack units I think) on mine. It does not take a very big fan to provide ample air to hit high temps. Of course, mine is connected to a digital thermostat - I am so lazy when it comes to maintaining temp - set and forget. One issue with a side mounted blower is that I got somewhat uneven burns - I now have a bottom mount and a diffuser and the burns are very even.

Others have used a shop vac to provide air for a burnout. That would practically turn the barrel into a blast furnace.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #8629
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

I would suggest just opening your vent hole up to 2" and making an appropriate flap for it. We have built over 50 barrels and never experienced an uneven burn but we have never used forced induction. We make our own BGE style intakes as we thought if it works for them then it should work for us. Indeed, it does.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2011, 06:42 AM   #8630
chief domestic engineer
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coewar View Post
That is quite the perfect shot for "you're a redneck if..." :) wonderful.

However, I recommend NOT to cook with that.

The plastic will melt.

You do not need any "wind" when you get the right hole sizes going. The fire inside the barrel will create the draft for you.
yes....i r a redneck :-) I agree, i could open up the intake holes but in my defense I must say I have used it 3 times and the plastic does not melt. I think my charcoal grate needs some work. I have a piece of expanded metal with three bolts holding it off the floor with my WSM charcoal ring on top of it. The ash will choke out the fire before the charcoal runs out. I scored 3 weber lids yesterday so I will start dialing it in i guess.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #8631
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
yes....i r a redneck :-) I agree, i could open up the intake holes but in my defense I must say I have used it 3 times and the plastic does not melt. I think my charcoal grate needs some work. I have a piece of expanded metal with three bolts holding it off the floor with my WSM charcoal ring on top of it. The ash will choke out the fire before the charcoal runs out. I scored 3 weber lids yesterday so I will start dialing it in i guess.
Hmm.. That plastic is not melting? At all? I definitely did not think it would hold up to the 300 degrees or more that's down there by the fire.

How tall are these 3 bolts? It sounds like a fine approach as long as they lift the bottom of the coal grate say 3 inches off the ground.

I recently scored 1 weber-like lid but it's just a hair line too small causing it not to fit properly. I have to maybe hammer out the edge which might do the trick.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:49 AM   #8632
chief domestic engineer
Found some matches.

Nope, no melting of the plastic at all. As for the bolts, I used 3 inch bolts to hold the charcoal grate off the floor. Under that I am using a 30 gallon drum lid as an ash pan (found it by the roadside).

Old 09-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #8633
M.A.D.
Found some matches.

[QUOTE=coewar;

I recently scored 1 weber-like lid but it's just a hair line too small causing it not to fit properly. I have to maybe hammer out the edge which might do the trick.[/QUOTE]

I am building m'y first uds. Same problem with a brand new lid. Mesure the drum and the lid and look for ovalness.... I had to hammer and grind the drum, and make the lid ronder.
M.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #8634
NapalmRunner
Knows what a fatty is.

I ground the top lip of the drum off. Lid fits like a glove now.
NapalmRunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #8635
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmRunner View Post
I ground the top lip of the drum off. Lid fits like a glove now.
I don't know what kind of crazy grinding machine would do that. I have a drill but really? I tried using a little grinding wheel I have for it and it seems like it would take hours. I tried using it to strip paint from the lid. I gave up on that quickly in favor of the metal stripping wheels. It still took maybe 1 hour to clean it off! Just the LID.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #8636
NapalmRunner
Knows what a fatty is.

I used a 4.5 inch side grinder...Took about 20 minutes or so...
NapalmRunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #8637
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Nope, no melting of the plastic at all.
The intake holes are below the fire and the hot air - I bet you could put your hand on the side of the drum near the bottom and it would not be all that hot - the lid is rarely too hot to handle and it is probably the hottest part of the outside of the drum. Many have used flexible magnets to cover their draft holes. IIRC they don't like heat very much either. I have used pvc fittings outside of the drum w/o any issues.

That said, something is off with your intake or exhaust holes if you "need" a blower. The only time one might actually be helpful is lighting your coals with a weed burner. I use a tiny blower very successfully - but it is part of my BBQ guru.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #8638
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coewar View Post
I don't know what kind of crazy grinding machine would do that. I have a drill but really? I tried using a little grinding wheel I have for it and it seems like it would take hours.
Use an angle grinder with a grinding disc. It took me about half an hour to grind down the drum lip (the small rolled lip of a closed end drum, not the large lip of an open end drum). With a little grinding the Weber lid will fit snugly.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #8639
sbramm
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Use an angle grinder with a grinding disc. It took me about half an hour to grind down the drum lip (the small rolled lip of a closed end drum, not the large lip of an open end drum). With a little grinding the Weber lid will fit snugly.

i did this as well on my closed top drum but needed to tweek the weber lid just a bit. now the lid fits nice and snug. start at the top of the lip and grid down until you see a seam and pull the inner portion of what remains of the closed lid out. then grind down the perimeter until your lid fits. you could even do this to open the drum i suppose. easy peasy.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #8640
M.A.D.
Found some matches.

Default First cook in UDS

I built a UDS : 34'' drum, weber 22,5'' lid, 1 grill at 2,5'' from top ( will add a second grill), instead of 4 pipes with caps and ball valve, i am using 6 smaller holes ( 1/4'' ) times 4 blocked with fridge magnet.

I did 2 jerk pork shoulders (3 hours) and added chicken legs ( for the last 2 hours). Tried 7 lbs of charcoal, with 3 pucks of maple (drilled holes in them and stuffed them with allspice). Lowest temp was 240 F, to grill the chicken in the end, highest temp with all the holes opened was 380 F.

I bought a drum with 6 holes in the bottom that i will plug with screws to try to lower the temp to 225 F.

I will add holes to the vents to get up to 400 F.

I oversmoked the jerk pork.

Overall, happy the the result, the meat was juicy and tender.

Can't wait to do ribs for my friends....

Sorry for the poor quality picture, used the laptop ( could not find working batteries). Notice the thermometer probe older, a green tomato from the garden...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uds2.jpg (46.2 KB, 731 views)
File Type: jpg uds3.jpg (87.6 KB, 732 views)
M.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker