The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
humdogj
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default First Smoke on ECB - Chicken Legs

Just did my first smoke today on my modified ECB. I smoked chicken legs . They turned out really good, but I know there is definitely room to grow.

First things first, I'm a new smoker and figured I would go the ECB route to see if I like doing it. I modded it out, seasoned it, and set out on the first smoke. I put approximately 50 unlit briquets in the charcoal pan, and then some cherry chunks (small ones from Fleet Farm) on that, and then about 20 lit briquets on that (10 on each side). The chunks (very small and thin) caught on fire right away and one I got the body over the firepan with the cover on, they flamed out and started to smoke. I waited until the temp got up around 300 and then put the chicken on.

It got up to temp really quick and I put the meat on. It seemed to settle in around 325/350 F. I didn't use a water pan because people have said you want to do chicken a little higher than the low and slow 225ish. Also, because I really wasn't sure how that was going to affect the chicken. I will use it for low and slow things that I plan on doing next.

It was a windy day and it seemed that if I closed all my dampers, it didn't effect the fire too much. She was still up around the 300's. I wonder if the wind has a major effect of getting around the open space that's around the firepan and body of the smoker?

I do have the grate raised off the bottom of the firepan and it worked great, but I still was getting ash buildup, but I think in the future, if I'm doing low and slow, by the time I need to replenish the coals, I would be dumping the old stuff out anyways. The coals weren't smothered, but would have to be dumped upon replenishing the coals.

The chicken, I thought turned out pretty good. I used Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction for my main rub, and a homemade rub on 5 legs. I was really surprised how quick it went. The total time the chicken was on the smoker was 1 hour. I know my heat was up so it's probably not considered "smoking", but it was the first run. I'm going to have to play with the ECB and find out what works well before I get into some serious longer smokes.

My concern for the future, and on longer smokes, is when people go to replenish the coals, how do they do it so they don't lose to much heat. Do they get a chimney going, dump out the old ash/dying coals, and then dump the chimney into the firepan? Or, do they get a chimney going with a few lit coals, dump old ash/dying coals out of firepan, put unlit charcoal in the firepan, and then dump the lit ones on top of that?

I'm probably forgetting some questions, but I wanted to share my thoughts on the first smoke. Any suggestions/advice/insight is always appreciated and I love this site for the valuable information it provides.

BTW - What does pron mean/stand for? I'm sure it has something to do with pictures, but I couldn't seem to find info on it.

Anywho, below are some pics from the first smoke? How do people add text to their images? Do they do that before they upload them, or is there a function somewhere here that I'm missing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic 2.jpg (70.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg pic 3.jpg (57.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg pic 4.jpg (80.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg pic 5.jpg (71.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg pic 1.jpg (39.4 KB, 51 views)
humdogj is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

PR0N is a way of getting "p0rn" through firewalls. It's what we call pics of our cooks.

Nice chicken and awesome first cook, congrats!
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
humdogj
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks Boshizzle. I Googled it and read something about that but I just didn't think that made sense with this being a bbq site. I guess it's true what they say, "We learn something new everyday!"

Unread 08-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
tmehlhorn
Full Fledged Farker

Looks like a great first cook. One of the inherent problems of a ecb is air leaks. You mentioned your dampers, i can see the top, did you also seal the bottom and put dampers down there? If not you will always have problems with temp. You have to be able to control oxygen to the coals. This will be alright to get you started. When you are ready to upgrade i would suggest getting a weber 22.5 kettle. They are and excellent grill and can easily smoke with them too.