The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #16
tamadrummer
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Sry it too so long to get back to you.

You can inject with anything that floats your boat. I may mix up some italian dressing and inject it too. Sounds good to me.

As far flipping goes, I cook with the skin up for about 1.5h at 300 in the COS Brinkmann (COS = Cheap offset smoker) and I use 3 fist sized chunks of cherry wood for smoke. Very light flavored wood, you could do hickory but I would only use 2 pieces back to back not all at once. After 1.5h or if you think it is done sooner, flip to skin side and baste that side with the butter and lime/lemon juice or you can even paint some more italian dressing in there. Up to you.

BTW you can use other woods, like mesquite or whatever but be careful. Mesquite will really be super strong flavored, if you like heavy flavored smoke, use it otherwise stick to the fruit woods. Apple, pear, cherry etc....it takes a real effort with those woods to ruin meat by over smoking unlike with the hickory/mesquite.

All those flavors work really well together. You need to just have fun and relax. Smoking is slow fun cooking. Drink a cold beer or root beer (I don't really drink) and enjoy some good company and food.
tamadrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-31-2011, 04:07 AM   #17
ytsejam
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe1 View Post
As always I humbley thank the community for their help and support.. Here is what I have done so far:

-Spatchcocked two chickens (One into halves for easy handling and the second whole ala Steven Raichlen style via youtube)
-I put each bird into a ziplock bag and marinaded them in a Vadalia Onion dressing. I couldn't find an injectable marinade in Costco, and my Italian dressing packet was expired. So I found this salad dressing and remember reading that someone uses it as a marinade.

My plans tomorrow are to pat dry the birds and sprinkle Plowboys Yardbird rub... come to think of it...perhaps I should experiment and see if I can taste a difference. One with rub and one without.

Get the drum temp 375* +/- for the 1 to 1.5 hours that everyone recommends. Use the mop (butter/lime) and spray (apple juice and cider vinegar) every 30 min or so.

Hopefully I do not get over whelmed and am able to take some pr0n.
That sounds like a pretty solid plan. Only 2 steps i would add:

-Remember to have fun

-takes notes, to learn from it

enjoy
ytsejam is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #18
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

So sorry for the delay to post some pics.. but here we go. Just so you know I did do this meal 3 different ways.

-All 3 had the sweet vidalia marinade over night (bought at Costco)
-Then 2 had sprinkled Plowboys Yardbird rub
-And one of them had lime/butter baste along with a spray of apple juice and apple cider mist.

The last one came out by far the best.. Although the one with only the rub (no mob or spray) skin came out great.

Thanks again for everyones help on this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Jul 31, 2 37 49 PM (HDR).jpg (69.7 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Jul 31, 4 03 31 PM (HDR).jpg (83.5 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Jul 31, 4 03 44 PM (HDR).jpg (51.6 KB, 218 views)
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #19
bobsuosso
Full Fledged Farker

split & rubbed with salt, coarse pepper & sesame oil, gets a beautiful auburn color.
bobsuosso is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #20
Moose
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That chicken looks beautiful, BTW!

Here's a tutorial I did on Roadside Chicken you might like:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=93647

For some reason, it comes out amazing on the drum and it's the only way I can get the skin uniformly crisp. I use a higher temp, around 325, and put the breasts on about 15 mins into the cook so they are done when the rest of the pieces are cooked through.
Frankenweber Pizza Kettle/Big Red UDS/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
www.mooseonfire.com
Food*BBQ*Delicious

Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #21
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
That chicken looks beautiful, BTW!

Here's a tutorial I did on Roadside Chicken you might like:

www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93647

For some reason, it comes out amazing on the drum and it's the only way I can get the skin uniformly crisp. I use a higher temp, around 325, and put the breasts on about 15 mins into the cook so they are done when the rest of the pieces are cooked through.

your chicken looks a little under cooked....but if i ever want somebody to cook me a beef steak, you are my man.

Unread 08-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #22
Cook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyinsd View Post
your chicken looks a little under cooked....but if i ever want somebody to cook me a beef steak, you are my man.
LMAO

The best looking medium rare chicken I've ever seen.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #23
Moose
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyinsd View Post
There's a few Brethren who have had my Roadside Chicken and declared it some of the best chicken they've ever eaten, but hey, what do they know?
Frankenweber Pizza Kettle/Big Red UDS/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
www.mooseonfire.com
Food*BBQ*Delicious

Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe, Smoked Chicken, uds