The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Unread 06-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #16
bobaftt
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I am just a consumer. Have been thinking about getting into the vending thing. If they are buying 3lbs of meat and a rack of ribs I would not be surprised to see them a couple of 2 oz cups of each sauce. Especially considering they are taking it home and everyone may like a different variety. Part of the problem with lots of variety is that it encourages people to take 2 or three cups per person so they can try everything rather then just 1 because thats just the sauce you get with the barbecue. Just trying to share a consumer viewpoint fwiw...
Unread 06-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #17
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

A very important part is COMMUNICATION to the regulars, the ones you do see often and know by either face or name. Take a moment and share with them why you had to change up the sauce situation. Be honest and share it was costing too much the way it was. Most regulars will be OK with an open, honest and direct communication from the owner. If not communicated to, they may make their own assumption that may not be positive. Such as "being nickled and dimed"... even when not the case. I hope your new plan works out, it sounds solid.. and 50cents is well worth 2 ounces of a home brewed sauce.
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-22-2011, 07:28 AM   #18
chachahut
Full Fledged Farker

A bit of an update. We posted the sign & started the new policy a couple of weeks ago. So far so good. No one has complained & sauce usage has been reduced to a reasonable amount. We've even seen an increase in people buying bottles with the big feasts.

Smiter Q - we have been letting the regulars know why the change happened. Usually with a "I can tell you this - it's not you but a few people had to ruin it for the rest..." type of line. Most of our regulars are quite good about their To Go sauce use. We also usually slip them an extra cup or two.

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Competitor
busted Backwoods Fatboy
Weber 22.5 Kettle
some stainless wood fired thing
chachahut is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #19
dataz722
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaftt View Post
I am just a consumer. Have been thinking about getting into the vending thing. If they are buying 3lbs of meat and a rack of ribs I would not be surprised to see them a couple of 2 oz cups of each sauce. Especially considering they are taking it home and everyone may like a different variety. Part of the problem with lots of variety is that it encourages people to take 2 or three cups per person so they can try everything rather then just 1 because thats just the sauce you get with the barbecue. Just trying to share a consumer viewpoint fwiw...
i would agree with this. Would it be possible to give them a choice of 1 2oz cup or 2 1oz cups. That way they could get a little more variety if they wanted.
dataz722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #20
chachahut
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
i would agree with this. Would it be possible to give them a choice of 1 2oz cup or 2 1oz cups. That way they could get a little more variety if they wanted.
Trying not to add to many extra items to the paper goods inventory. So far - we have not seen any real issues with the Feast orders. If they ask for a couple extra cups - we give them some. Most cases, they've just gone ahead & bought a bottle or two.

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Competitor
busted Backwoods Fatboy
Weber 22.5 Kettle
some stainless wood fired thing
chachahut is offline   Reply With Quote