The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #31
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeshineboy View Post
Lookin good!! Ribeyes are the best. Where did you get the grates from?
http://www.cast-iron-grate.com

I think I'm gonna order one for my Smokey Joe also...

Unread 06-09-2011, 01:23 AM   #32
mykz26
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
Here's the recipe for the yeast rolls...

Ingredients go in the bread machine pan in this order:

1 cup water
2 tablespoons softened butter
1 egg
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons active dry yeast

Put the bread machine on the dough cycle and run this batch of ingredients until the cycle is complete... remove the dough from the bread pan and form a dough mound on a lightly floured surface. Let sit for 15 minutes or so covered.

Divide the dough into about 14 equal size pieces and form them into small 2" balls. Place the dough balls on a greased cookie sheet. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes. You can brush the top of the dough balls with melted butter at this point if you wish. Cook 12-15 minutes in an oven that has been preheated to 375° You can also brush the tops with melted butter again if you like after they come out of the oven... serve hot...
Thanks for the recipe. Think i'll give it go this weekend. Great looking meal overall.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #33
gtsum
is one Smokin' Farker

nice spread!
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #34
sahc03
Found some matches.

That's some good lookin grub!
sahc03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #35
Cook
is One Chatty Farker

Not only would I buy her (only because she like well-done) a cheaper steak, but...if I were going to ruin one of the two ribeyes you purchased, it would have most certainly been the lesser of the two.

Why on earth did you give her the larger/better looking of the two? Don't get me wrong...I believe my better half deserves the best anytime I can give it to her, but since you're ruining the meat anyway...

I also like more heat when cooking steaks. I don't like "black" steaks, but I do like the exposed fat to be a little crispy.

I'm another fan of s/p/garlic or just garlic salt. I don't need anything else on a steak. Hell, I'm happy if I just have salt (it helps with the crust).

I also pan cook ribeyes every now & again...but I baste it in butter for the entire cook, or I cook it in the style of au poivre.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 06-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #36
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great looking feast JM!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #37
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks good - I am suddenly hungry.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1 18.5 new to me WSM
Super Fast BLUE and RED Thermapen
1 - The Great Outdoors Smoker Sea Bug cooker
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al

Unread 06-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #38
Dave S
On the road to being a farker

Saiko, that looks amazing. Do you keep the kettle cover off while you're heating up the grates? Do you have it on or off while you're cooking your steak? I have always kept my lid on but I'm wondering if I am keeping the temps down when I do that (restricting the airflow). We all like to keep the smoke in the kettle while cooking to keep the flavor and reduce flare ups but is it worth sacrificing the temps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
Looks awesome! I have similar cast iron grates on my kettle, and can let you in on a few tips I have for searing. Since I always have chunks of wood lying around for my WSM, once I pour a chimney full of lump in the kettle I also add about 6-8 chunks of wood. I let this burn for about an extra 20 minutes or so (you might have to lift off one of the grate sections and break up some of the wood embers to get things moving along). This serves 3 purposes: The wood embers add flavor, the flame from the wood will burn off all the residue from the previous cook, and your grates will get nice and hot for searing. Once I have a good sear on both sides I move the steaks to the cooler side of the grill until done.

I also like to add a coat of fresh ground ancho chili powder (along with kosher salt and pepper) to all my steaks. Gives it a nice color and crust, as well as some flavor. Here is a porterhouse I grilled this weekend:
Dave S is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #39
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
Saiko, Do you keep the kettle cover off while you're heating up the grates? Do you have it on or off while you're cooking your steak?
I keep the cover off while heating up the grates so that the flames from the burning wood chunks really heat up the grates and burn off the old residue.
I keep the cover on while cooking.

For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 06-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #40
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
I keep the cover off while heating up the grates so that the flames from the burning wood chunks really heat up the grates and burn off the old residue.
I keep the cover on while cooking.
Saiko,

Thanks for the advice on this. I'll use the technique to make sure my grates are good and hot for my next cook on the kettle. I also think I'll do the same (Crack the lid open a bit) AFTER the cook as well to get them good and hot so I can brush off the residue after the cook rather than before the next time. I like to clean and oil the grates before I put them away. I wanna get a really good seasoning on them so I won't have to worry about rust or any of that fun stuff :)

Unread 06-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #41
matt4574
Found some matches.

Looks great.
matt4574 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #42
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

JM that whole meal looks fabulous. i too love cast iron seared steaks because it gives a very nice crust to the steak. however, i like getting the smokey charcoal flover o\when cooking on the grill so there is nothing wrong with putting that cast iron pan on the grill grate and letting here rock for a nice sear and finishing the steak on indirect heat. works great. howevefr alton brown's method of cooking a steak here (in this case porterhouse) has produced for me the best cryst and char i have ever gotten on a steak: YouTube - ‪Good Eats S14E01 Porterhouse Rules 3 of 3‬‏

the one problem is that some residue from the charcoal did end up on the steak and added an unwelcome gritty texture. however this was not enough to ruin the steak as long as you bang the chimney on the cement to get out the ash. i have not tried it with lump which would presumably be an even cleaner cook. the method produces an amazingly juicy and crusty steak. word of advice though is to make sure you dont go over his time limits even by a couple of seconds or you will end up with a medium to well done steak. if you do, give it to your gf
dealm9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grilled Corn, grilled onions, ribeye, yeast rolls