Ranch Kettle Restoration.

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ok looks like I have some work to do. Overall the grill is in pretty decent shape, but there was a pretty rusty area on one side that I have already cut out.

uploadfromtaptalk1307670081245.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1307670117836.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1307670139493.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1307670164243.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1307670197091.jpg

Any suggestions on patching this?

It really won't take too much doing. Just need to get a piece of steel the right thickness.

I had to go the route of 600* rated JB weld to re-inforce areas of a Red Kettle I just restored. I have ran it hard for a few hours and all the areas seem to be holding. So you may consider using it or similar to affix the patch panel in place if the metal proves to thin to weld.

I think Tig is the way to go vs JB weld if you have the choice. Stitch welding it with a tig will keep the metal from tweaking while you weld. Maybe your Brother in law would be up for some q in exchange. Kettle metal is pretty thin, but I think it will be an easy fix for you if you can tig it. I definitely will be following this one:thumb:

Just dropped it off the the BIL. As it turns out he does not have a TIG setup like I thought. It's all good though he's got a flux core that he says he can do it with. He's been building cranes for 20 years welding every thickness of steel imaginable so if he says he can do it then I believe him.

He's gonna cut out a piece of 1/8" plate the size of the hole and weld it in. Then I just have to cut in the new vent holes and make some aluminum daisy wheels and I'm in bidness!

Call Weber CS and inquire on the cost of a "damper kit" for it. I bought one a kit for the Red Kettle I restored. $5.60 for all 3 dampers and hardware with free shipping this month. I was going to make one for mine as well until I called them! Only thing is, those new dampers have a AA date code on them....and the kettle of mine is pre 79 with no date code! That will confuse the crap out of someone someday when they look at it! :heh:

Call Weber CS and inquire on the cost of a "damper kit" for it. I bought one a kit for the Red Kettle I restored. $5.60 for all 3 dampers and hardware with free shipping this month. I was going to make one for mine as well until I called them! Only thing is, those new dampers have a AA date code on them....and the kettle of mine is pre 79 with no date code! That will confuse the crap out of someone someday when they look at it! :heh:

Haha it probably will, but the heavy steel plate on the bottom should explain things.

The best way to repair that is pop rivets, if you weld a new plate in the chances arit will rust back out here it been weld .you could braze it but prolly wouldn't look that good, don/t think flux core will work..

Well he's already done. I figured it would be a day or two before he got to it but he cut the plate and welded it on this afternoon.

I'm picking it up in the morning. I'll post pics of the repair.

You can tell by looking at it that the only reason it ever rusted in the first place was neglect. There was old ash piled up in it from no telling how long ago. If cleaned out regularly the Weber porcelain coat can take a ridiculous amount of use.

I think the best (and easiest) way would be to find a piece of sheet metal larger than your hole and just use some small screws to screw it on there.

Ok here is the patch.

uploadfromtaptalk1307812192029.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1307812250350.jpg

His grinder died on him so I'll have to finish dressing it up but he did good!

Next I'm gonna fill the remaining pits on the inside by brazing.

Back