The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Unread 06-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default 4 categories. thoughts, suggestions

it seems selling BBQ/Food has 4 distinct categories.
health/state dept.
marketing
expenses, and
time
good food being a given...

i hope i'm on the right track. with that said, how do you guys go about securing meat vendors?
even RD prices aren't low enough to make a profit or break even, really.

how is it done?

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

I'm not a vendor but insurance also comes to mind as really important.

As far as vending... it would seem that unless you had a very low cost meat provider direct from the source, a Restaurant Depot or general food distributor like a Sysco would be the most common if you're buying in relatively low qty... or maybe a local meat wholesaler if you've got decent volume.
Unread 06-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
Sledneck
Time Out

meat prices are real high and continuing to go up. RD prices are a lot better than you think. call some wholesalers and you will see
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
I'm not a vendor but insurance also comes to mind as really important.

As far as vending... it would seem that unless you had a very low cost meat provider direct from the source, a Restaurant Depot or general food distributor like a Sysco would be the most common if you're buying in relatively low qty... or maybe a local meat wholesaler if you've got decent volume.
i was thinking that would fall under health/state...but agreed, insurance is quite important.

that's kinda what i was asking...do you guys go direct to source? how do you find the source? google is my friend, but finding a guy selling FDA approved pigs at a good price doesn't come up with many results...

Unread 06-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
meat prices are real high and continuing to go up. RD prices are a lot better than you think. call some wholesalers and you will see
REAL high. but again, goes to my question...i can't seem to nail down how to contact wholesalers...like, do you just call IBP?

anyway, the spot i had in mind, i just got info on.

a small shack on 1/3 acre( i was hoping for tractor trailer parking)is 3/4 million.

not happening.

but thanks guys....i'm not giving up. i have a small dream....

Unread 06-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #6
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Watch what supply trucks frequently stop in your area. You may think bigger chain equals bigger savings, but that's not always true.

Sysco is a good supplier, but it seemed that I was just about their only stop in town. Another supplier was much smaller (Cash-Wa Dist.) but seemed to stop all over town. The smaller company was much more accommodating, and seemed like they wanted to give me a huge deal. And yes, just call them. Call the sales dept. You won't call IBP, or Tyson, but food distributors or food wholesalers in your yellow pages.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Finally got my dream cooker, Runaround Sue.

Team Whosoever Q

If a man looks lustfully at eggs and bacon, he has already committed breakfast in his heart.
txschutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Start with these guys. They deliver the whole Eastern Seaboard.

G & C Foods

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Finally got my dream cooker, Runaround Sue.

Team Whosoever Q

If a man looks lustfully at eggs and bacon, he has already committed breakfast in his heart.
txschutte is online now   Reply With Quote