The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
YokeUp
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Thumbs up New Double Pass Stick burner design... what do ya think?

here is our latest and greatest new design.
YouTube - The Krieger.... ready to go to powder coat

Not having a door cut out will provide a much more consistent cooking temperature inside... the grates are bigger and the exhaust system allows for me to fine tune the temperature. We're taking it to be powder coated with a new media that incorporates aluminum and can be built up to 30 mil... that is going to provide some awesome insulating value...

anyway, just wanted to share with you guys, let me know your thoughts.
http://www.yokeup.net/XXLBaskets.html
YokeUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks very, very interesting. Not like anything I've seen before. The racks coming out the end are sure a different feature.

I get the theory of how the heat moves through the smoker but I'm not clear on why when the stack is open the heat isn't going to just get sucked right up through it when the heat enters the chamber from directly under the stack.

Or did I miss something?

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I think it has a reverse flow baffle at the bottom. It goes all the to the "door" where it can reverse direction and flow over the meat. I just have to wonder how well and smoothly it will draft. I also wonder if opening the huge door on the end won't flush all the heat as much as a standard offset door. Looking forward to seeing it in action. I hope it works as I like the creativity and craftsmanship.
WWWWFBBQADD
0 out of 1 members found this post helpful

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2011, 01:35 AM   #4
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

I think it's very interesting and looks to be well built. I'm not sure if I'm feelin' pulling out the racks every time I want to tend to something in the cooker. Those racks are gonna be hot as chit, loaded with meat and heavy. If I still drank I know exactly how that would end up. It'd be nice to be able to pull them out and let them hang, but with that orientation I don't think that's really feasible - at least with my non-existent design abilities.

I could see it for specialized uses for someone who has a precise knowledge of what they're doing i.e. x amount of meat will definitely be done in x amount of time with no peeking. There would probably be a more pressurized environment inside the cooker, which is great.

I really do like the thinking and building going on there, just not sure about the rack situation. I'm also wondering if a split door would be something to try, but that would kinda go against the concept of a well sealed cooker. It'll be very interesting to see how she cooks. I'll echo colonel00 and say I too like the creativity and craftsmanship - thanks for posting & I look forward to more.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
YokeUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Looks very, very interesting. Not like anything I've seen before. The racks coming out the end are sure a different feature.

I get the theory of how the heat moves through the smoker but I'm not clear on why when the stack is open the heat isn't going to just get sucked right up through it when the heat enters the chamber from directly under the stack.

Or did I miss something?
It has a baffel, solid 1/4" steel that runs the length of the cooker and is sealed along the bottom and firebox side so the heat travels down the baffel and then enters at the door and works it's way back to the exhaust. We'll see it in action soon.

Unread 05-08-2011, 06:24 AM   #6
YokeUp

Thanks for the feedback guys, my neighbor gave me a great idea for the rack situation, it's a hook that comes up and provides a shelf to rest them on... my thoughts initially were to have the table there to set the rack on and work it from there. In competitions, I haven't had to move things very much, but the new suggestion is a great one.

the draft is already over-designed with the 6" exhaust and the intake vent.. we should be able to generate a bunch of heat that is agressive on finding it's exit and should move through very well... It will be interesting.

thanks again for the help.

Unread 05-08-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 2

It will certainly help you resist the urge to peek! Not many will open up that big door on the end and pull those racks out just to take a look. That's probably a good thing!
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Bob's Hogs. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller

http://TheHogBlog.com
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #8
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

A variation of the reverse flow design... how was the grease fire prevention/drainage addressed?

Former smokers;
Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom, double, pass, smoker