The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
larrymac360
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Vacuum Sealing

Stupid question here ,, will vacuum sealing sliced brisket pull the moisture out of the meat ?

thanks in advance ..larrymac
larrymac360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Soybomb
Full Fledged Farker

I'd do it with the meat cold from the fridge and figure that any juice that was going to come out of the meat has by that point. Trying to pack anything hot is an exercise in frustration, at least for me.
Soybomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not really I don't think. As Soybomb said, trying to seal piping hot may be different. I usually let the meat cool completely and seal it all up later. I can't say it's always "refrigerator cold" when I've done it, but even then, very little moisture loss (if any).
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
Old Smoke
is one Smokin' Farker

^^^^^^Yep! What he said ^^^^^

"Brown it's cookin', Black it's done"....................Dad.
Guess that is why he was truck driver, not a chef......
Old Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
JD08
Full Fledged Farker

No. If there's excess fluid around the meat, then it will pull some of that into the overflow tray, but it's not going to dehydrate the meat itself. The suction isn't that strong and it doesn't suck long enough.
JD08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
rdenn_58
Knows what a fatty is.

I use what the others have said about letting the meat completely cool and then sealing. When it's time to eat some of your hard work, just drop your frozen sealed bag in boiling water to heat it up. This will keep the meat tender and juicy. If you pull the meat out of the sealed bag and heat it in say the microwave, you lose moisture and will have drier meat.
rdenn_58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
TheMidnightSmoker
On the road to being a farker

I always let my meat cool in the Freezer for an hour or so to prevent juices from escaping during the sealing. Losing Juices pulled into the overflow tray is not your biggest problem-the bigger problem is that the seal will be compromised as the escaped juice will settle in the channels of the bag preventing a tight seal.

Unread 04-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightSmoker View Post
I always let my meat cool in the Freezer for an hour or so to prevent juices from escaping during the sealing. Losing Juices pulled into the overflow tray is not your biggest problem-the bigger problem is that the seal will be compromised as the escaped juice will settle in the channels of the bag preventing a tight seal.
Good point. I think the instructions on my Foodsaver even say to watch for this. When I do have some juices travel to the opening before the suction stops, I'll just open up the end, wipe it out and run an extra seal or two to be safe. Seems like it seals up fine the first time, but I'd rather not risk it.
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote