THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

J

jagardn

Here is a project I have been working on for a while. I poured a 2 1/4" concrete slab as my tabletop in hopes It will last as many years as the grill.
XL_Table_040111_3.jpg

Thanks for looking!:becky:

I watched a show called Dirty Jobs and they showed how people make colored concrete tables. Very interesting. The company that did the work was Mark Concrete out of Moss Landing, California.

"Good Lord, Bubba! How we gonna steal that there th'ang? It's gottab weigh more than my pickup truck!"

Nice Job! I like it a lot. What kind of bracing/wire/mesh did you use in the concrete?

Great job! A local BGE dealer was showing some Egg tables with concrete tops. I really wanted one but they cost more than the Egg!

That set up is sweet.

I would love to have my Egg is a set up like that.
My problem is that I need to call somebody to change the light when it goes out so a table like that is well beyond my capability.

Very nice! What is the finish on it?
I used Chengs acrylic concrete sealer
Amazon.com: Cheng Concrete Sealer 500 Ml: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21umb6f6RWL.@@AMEPARAM@@21umb6f6RWL
We'll see how it holds up under the Florida sun.:pray:

Looks really nice! Have any pics of the build or the form for the concrete that you can share?
Yes, I actually have an entire thread on the Primo forum dedicated to it, but I can post the pictures here too.

hope you put rebar in the narrow areas of the table!
Yes, I did, but it's made with 5000+psi concrete, it is some insanely strong stuff.

"Good Lord, Bubba! How we gonna steal that there th'ang? It's gottab weigh more than my pickup truck!"
The slab weighs about 270, the grill about 250 and the table about 100 pounds, so yeah, nobody is stealing it.:laugh:

Nice Job! I like it a lot. What kind of bracing/wire/mesh did you use in the concrete?
I used rebar, you'll see it when I post the pictures.:becky:

Thanks for all the complements everybody. This was actually my first concrete project, but I did a lot of research online before trying to take it on.

All of the following is a compilation of my entire thread on the Primo forum, I just did a copy and paste from the important parts. It was a lot of work, but worth it in the end. :thumb:

Ok, I finally got off my A$$ and started my table. Today I made my oval template for the concrete form. According the the Specs of Sakrete 5000 Plus concrete, counter tops should be no less than 2" thick, so I am going with 2 1/4".

Step 1. I started by tracing the shape of the grill on a piece of cardboard.
img_0749_Trace_Template_1024x768.jpg

Step 2. I cut out the oval outline with scissors and attached it to a piece of MDF with double sided tape
img_0842_Taped_Template_1024x768.jpg

Step 3. I then created a 1" gap around the grill by using a compass.
img_0843_Trace_with_Compass_1024x768.jpg

Step 4. Then darkened it with a sharpie for better visibility
img_0844_Traced_with_Sharpie_1024x768.jpg

Step 5. I then cut out the shape with a jig saw, then sanded with 150 to smooth out the saw marks and smooth out the curve.
img_0845_Sand_First_Template_1024x768.jpg

Step 6. I then traced the next two templates from the first one.
img_0846_Trace_other_pieces_1024x768.jpg

Step 7. I then glued and screwed the first template to the second piece of MDF
img_0847_Rough_Cut_and_glue_1024x768.jpg

img_0850_Screw_first_two_together_1024x768.jpg

Step 8. I then cut the 2nd layer about 1/8" to 1/4" from the edge of the first one.
img_0851_trim_template_1024x768.jpg

Step 9. I then used a Flush Trim Bit on the Router to match layer 2 to layer 1.
img_0852_Flush_Trim_Bit_1024x768.jpg

Step 10. Repeat steps 7-9 for the third layer.

Step 11. Sand the final three layer piece.
img_0859_Finished_Template_Side_1024x768.jpg

img_0860_Finished_Template_Top_1024x768.jpg

Today I worked on getting the Table Base put together.
I am using PT 4x4's for the Uprights and Notching them to support the weight of the Concrete counter top.

Here I am notching the 4x4's on the table saw.
img_0863_Notched_Table_Legs_1024x768.jpg

Cleaned up the saw marks with a sharp chisel.
img_0865_Rough_Leg_Top_1024x768.jpg

img_0866_Cleaned_Table_Leg_1024x768.jpg

I made some 5" wide x 3" high bases to attach my Beefy casters. I will attach the casters with 2 1/2" galvanized lag bolts.
img_0867_Chamfer_Bit_Leg_Base_1024x768.jpg

Here are the finished legs.
img_0869_Finished_Legs_1024x768.jpg

Started assembling the Table, I have a lot of work to do tomorrow.
img_0870_Started_Table_Base_1024x768.jpg

OK guys, I finished some more of my table project today.
I put a Walnut Stain on the table.
img_0925_Stained_Table_1024x768.jpg

The concrete form is done except for sealing the edges with Silicone.
img_0928_Finished_Form_1024x768.jpg

Hopefully next weekend I can put the sealer on the table and pour the concrete, my crazy schedule will dictate.:D

OK, I'm one step closer to being done. At this rate, I may have it done by the end of the year.ROFL

I just finished the last coat of Helmsman and put the Casters on. Now its just finishing the form for pouring the concrete.:Nail Bite:

IMG_3580_Table_Stained_with_Clearcoat.JPG

OK, I have finally poured my concrete table top. :D

Here is the Concrete form and mixing tub
XL_Table_Project_1.jpg

The Concrete(5000psi) and Concrete Dye.
XL_Table_Project_2.jpg

The concrete is poured and about to put in the rebar
XL_Table_Project_3.jpg

Gone over with a finishing trowel and I'm just hoping there are no air bubbles in it.:eek:
XL_Table_Project_4.jpg

Now it just has to cure for a few weeks.:rolleyes:

It was a lot of work, and if I had to do it again, I probably wouldn't...unless it comes out really good.:D

OK! I finally got my concrete slab on the table, all I gotta do now is sand and seal. There are some voids/pits on the top surface, I am looking at getting a filler dyed a darker color to show contrast.

XL_Table_031911.jpg

OK, this will be my final post on the project.
I bought some Burnt Umber concrete dye to fill in the voids/air bubbles from the concrete pour.
XL_Table_040111_2.jpg

XL_Table_040111_1.jpg

After the concrete set for a week, I went over then entire surface with 150 grit sand paper on an orbital sander, and sealed it with some Concrete Countertop Sealer.
XL_Table_040111_5.jpg

Here is the finished product, all I have to do is apply the wax on Sunday.

XL_Table_040111_4.jpg

XL_Table_040111_3.jpg

Thanks for looking...the project is finally complete!!

Back