• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Meat Glue

What are some of the positive's?

Apparently this stuff is used all the time?? I am not sure where it's used, I've take a cooking course here or there, Charcuterie being one of them, and that's the only place I've seen it. Nonetheless, proponents claim the following.

• Make uniform portions that cook evenly, look good, and reduce waste
• Bind meat mixtures like sausages without casings
• Make novel meat combinations like lamb and scallops

What about the following:
1. Since meat is mixed (in case of beef) if you cook it rare or medium rare, you can expose yourself or your customers to potentially harmful bacteria.
2. You are paying premium price for a product that is not premium.
3. God knows what harm this enzyme can do long term.

I wish they would at least label the meat when they use this stuff...

Hummmm build your own super brisket!

I didn't know, but found out this is the stuff they use to form Chicken McNuggets into their iconic shapes.

If its good enough for McDonald's its good enough for me. :rolleyes:

Just saw that enzyme being used on a recent episode (Marcel's Quantum Kitchen)... reformed a meat log... like a sausage fatty.

It is supposed to be used in a lot of high end restaurants. It is supposed to be tasteless and safe

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use it to make a steak, because I like mine rare, and I'm not too keen on putting bacteria from the outside of the meat into the inside unless it's going to be cooked thoroughly. But to build a chuck roast that's going all the way to pulling temperature, or a pot roast, or a pseudo butt from rib trimmings, why not? Might be an economical alternative?

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use it to make a steak, because I like mine rare, and I'm not too keen on putting bacteria from the outside of the meat into the inside unless it's going to be cooked thoroughly. But to build a chuck roast that's going all the way to pulling temperature, or a pot roast, or a pseudo butt from rib trimmings, why not? Might be an economical alternative?
The stuff is $90-$100 a kilo and it has a really short shelf life so I'm not sure how economical it is.

What was that quote? "If it's good enough for McDonalds, it's good enough for me"?
Huh? Wha? You've got to be kidding me. McD's the home of the McRib!?!

I'll pass on both accounts: Meat Glue AND McDonalds!

Just saw that enzyme being used on a recent episode (Marcel's Quantum Kitchen)... reformed a meat log... like a sausage fatty.

Saw this show the other night also. Thanks for jogging my memory of where I'd seen this!

If you ever ate surimi, that fake crab product, you've probably eaten this stuff.

I don't like the idea of the uses in the video, but there are a lot of high end chefs using it to make some of what they serve more intersting and creative. Wylie Dufresne of WD-50 in NYC for example. Guess it all depends on what it's being used for?

French Culinary institute in NYC even has a class dedicated to it.

Back