The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Unread 02-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Vending Ribs

What is the best way to way to vend ribs at festivals or large events? I will cook them on-site. I have a electric heating cabinet in my trailer so I will be able to hold them. I am not worried about having a couple racks left over as those are easy to get rid of . What to do if there is a lot of racks left is the question?

Worth Smokin' BBQ
26' KZ Toyhauler w/McPike 150 STOKER powered
Red Therma-Pen
www.facebook.com/worthsmokinbbq
worthsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Large events require cooking, cooling and then reheating. Leftover ribs are ready for use next day. Mind u I said large events. Small can get away with holding and serving.

Ymmv.
Northern midwest director for OBR
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I can do about 75 slabs without doing any reheating but if you want to sell 200-400 slabs like a lot of rib burners do then it's undercook, reheat and toss on a grill and serve. 2 hours max. Having the equipment to cool is the key.

I don't like vending ribs because once they reach a certain doneness there's no reheating. And I hate selling undercooekd ribs. I'm sure some of the rib burners here will chip in with advice.
Unread 02-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the help. I enjoy selling ribs but the uncertainty of how many to cook is what I don't like. I am used to cooking about 20 to 30 slabs and selling them in a day roadside vending. We are new to events, I just don't want to lose my arse. I guess it would be better to run out than cook to many.

Worth Smokin' BBQ
26' KZ Toyhauler w/McPike 150 STOKER powered
Red Therma-Pen
www.facebook.com/worthsmokinbbq
worthsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Depending on how busy the event it. Keep a consant flow of reheated ribs coming off the smoker to keep up with the demand. Keep them glazed and in a cambro. I do not grill because I dont think that bbq ribs should be grilled. I have sold 1000 ribs in three days. Just keep the cooker running and the ribs on and off. Get ahead of yourself a little but not too far. People will wait for the perfect rib. Do not over cook ribs and have left overs. Every rack you have left over that you give away is the retail amount less in your pocket, not the amount it cost you. Good luck

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
HandsomeSwede
Full Fledged Farker

I would echo Ford, I am not able to produce a reheated rib on par with those I cook and serve. We offer spares on our menu but when they are gone they're gone. We may have lost A customer at an event but it has never been issue. The one thing we do as a backup is offer flanken cut Korean short ribs for those who just need to gnaw on a bone. People are hesitant at first because they are not common but folks love them.
HandsomeSwede is offline   Reply With Quote