MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling Lesson Polls

Notices

Food Handling Lesson Polls Poll based lessons. See what misconceptions our general population has regarding food safety and preparation.

View Poll Results: Food packaged in a private home can:
Be packaged to USDA standards 2 11.76%
Not be used in food service establishments 11 64.71%
Be prepared according to Federal labeling requirements 1 5.88%
Not to be sold without a business license 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2006, 10:12 AM   #1
bbqjoe
Banned

Default Home packaging

This has been touched on in a previous forum.

Question: See poll.
__________________________________________________ ______________

The answer is: Food prepared in a private home cannot be used in food service establishments.

Last edited by bbqjoe; 06-05-2006 at 09:34 AM..
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2006, 09:39 PM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Can I change my vote?
Pretty Please

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:38 PM   #3
bbqjoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn
Can I change my vote?
Pretty Please

TIM
Don't much matter. No one knows how you voted.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 06-03-2006, 10:44 PM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqjoe
Don't much matter. No one knows how you voted.
Joking--moment of levity

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Rick T
Full Fledged Farker

So if you have a home processors license, Your product can not be used in a food establishment?
Rick T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

If you are licensed, AND your home kitchen is certified by your local health department, then I don't see why you could not sell to restaurants.

But keep in mind...VERY FEW home kitchens will meet muster on being certified as commercial kitchens.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick T View Post
So if you have a home processors license, Your product can not be used in a food establishment?
Please explain home processors license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
If you are licensed, AND your home kitchen is certified by your local health department, then I don't see why you could not sell to restaurants.

But keep in mind...VERY FEW home kitchens will meet muster on being certified as commercial kitchens.
If you are licensed for what?

Your home kitchen could never be certified unless it was built as a commercial kitchen with a plan review from your local HD.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
goodbuddiesbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Default My understanding...

In Ohio they have a certification through the local Agriculture department where they will send a health inspector out.

You must:
1. Not have pets
2. No carpet in kitchen
3. Be clean

What this will allow you to do is sell baked goods (pies, cakes, muffins, breads, etc.). BBQ related stuff...you can sell rubs (no hydrogenated) and dry injections (no hydrogenated or preservatives).

You cannot sell sauces...must have a commercial kitchen and separate license for that.

My wife just got hers on Monday and I was surprised that they would allow you to package rubs.

And yes...you can sell the rubs and cakes, etc. to restaurants.
goodbuddiesbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
Rick T
Full Fledged Farker

In Maine: I had a meeting with the local Health inspector. I told her that I did not wish to use my home for making sauces because, my water is not great and 6 dogs.

I gave her a plan showed her where I would be doing it. She was okay with every thing. She understands that I will be selling sauces, under $50,000 gross, less than 10 employees, will sell at farmers markets, online etc.

I am building a kitchen at building I own and run my small const company from. The sauces need to be below a PH of 4.6 and must be tested on each batch and recorded.

My kithcen is in line with commercial type assembley but she said I was going way over what is needed. But she liked what I am doing. I had to have the water tested and the septic needed to have the code enforcement officer approve for the added use and type use. Right now I have done those. Labling will need to be modified a bit but she will help with that. I do not nutritional yet or a PC code yet. (hopefully in the near future.. I do need to have shelf life tested and something else. Also needed to have the PH tested and submiting the recipe and process, cooking and bottling. Both passed.

Anyway, the license is for making foods in your home or on a small scale.

Reason I ask, There are a couple small resturaunts that may be interested, once I am up and running. I am only going to do small batches and only have three sauces and two rubs right now.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 03-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
goodbuddiesbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick T View Post
Reason I ask, There are a couple small resturaunts that may be interested, once I am up and running. I am only going to do small batches and only have three sauces and two rubs right now.

This is gonna sound ridiculous, but they "MUST" buy them from you either online or through a "farmers-type" market. It is a completely different license if you drop it off, deliver or they pick up from your "Factory".

Other states may vary.
goodbuddiesbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
Rick T
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks, will check into that.
Rick
Old 03-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Your home kitchen could never be certified unless it was built as a commercial kitchen with a plan review from your local HD.
Using a wide brush with this assumption is the wrong thing to do. Research and you will find that the information you post is not true.

You might possibly be correct in your own state (I am no expert there), but in some other states this is entirely possible.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
Using a wide brush with this assumption is the wrong thing to do. Research and you will find that the information you post is not true.

You might possibly be correct in your own state (I am no expert there), but in some other states this is entirely possible.
Touche'
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #14
Matt_A
is one Smokin' Farker

Every single state, county, and sometimes even city/town have their own regulations about what is considered permissible retail/wholesale use of a residential kitchen. You must check with all three levels of bureaucracy before moving forward. Miss one little regulation and you can wind up in a pool of hurt.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #15
landarc

Actually, Uniform Building Code will not allow for a USDA certified commercial kitchen to be attached to a residential business with a common door. Nor can the water or sewer be shared common to the two units. The reason there is an exception is the nature of the food you are preparing. Not a local code, if you are cooking food for cold storage/canning and commercial distribution, you will not be certified for distribution through a home kitchen.

Pies, cookies and cakes would be considered fresh sale and do not contain spoilage elements. Rubs are dry powders and are not cooked. In a sense, you are both right, it matters what you are certified for.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote