Smo-Fried Wings (Hot Oil Pron)

kwas68

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Tried some smo-fried wings for the first time. Wanted to dial in a recipe before the big game.

I marinaded them in buttermilk with some cayenne mixed in overnight. I dried them off and sprinkled with some rub. They spent the next 40 mins in the UDS at 250.

Then I dropped them back into the buttermilk and into a ziploc containing flour, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne while the fryer came up to temp. I fried them for about 7 minutes.

Some of the wings got the Frank's Red Hot Wing Sauce and butter bath treatment. Some were plain and others were covered in some homemade BBQ sauce.

Results:
The Frank's wings were good but not worth the extra smoking effort. The sauce was overpowering and the smoke was barely noticeable.

The plain ones were good.

The BBQ sauced ones were best. It should have been obvious. If I do it again, this is going to be the way.

Pic 1: Out of the smoker, into the buttermilk.
Pic 2: Out of the flour mixture, into the fryer.
Pic 3: Out of the fryer, into my belly (bbq sauce added later).

Attachments

• IMG_5156_.jpg
    IMG_5156_.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_5159_.jpg
    IMG_5159_.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
I've done them like that too and I have to agree the bbq sauced ones were the best. They were the ones with the best smoke flavor.

Looks tasty! Been wanting to try wings this way for awhile; I think you just pushed my curiosity over the edge!

kwas, just a suggestion here bro. Do the same test but marinate the wings 2-3 hours vs overnight and see what you think. Overnight on wings really makes the end result different with texture and taste. Just throwing out an idea.

Yo Meat, I think I know where you are going with your suggestion. I was planning on making them for dinner and then something came up. So they ended up being lunch the next day. I fully expected these to be really moist and kinda soupy inside because of the long marinading session. That's the way they turn out if I marinate for that long and just fry them.

But for whatever reason, they weren't. Perhaps the smoking process dried them out slightly? They had a good texture.

I usually don't fry mine. I smoke them at a low temp the turn up the heat to crisp the skin. You could add the bbq sauce when they are being crisped. Saves me a step and some cleanup.

I do my wings "necked" on the gasser. In tupperware overnight in the fridge with my rub heavy. On a med/hot grill with a foil pack of hickory smoking on the burner. all at once and kick 'em round till done. Dip 'em yo self in whatever mood you are in. Usually do about 7+ # at a time. I'll post some pron next time...

Back