ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun weekly contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted each week. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, and the chance to choose the next week's category. Fun people only please! If you take this too seriously you will have to leave the party until you are fun again.

Unread 01-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #91
bbqbull

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
I have a couple days to create my masterpiece.

Probably be my first and last throwdown entry but I am planning on giving it my best shot.
Current wind chill is 9 degrees, windy outside.

I will pass on this throwdown as I half way feel like I am coming down with a cold.
Good luck with all the fine creative dishes that have been entered so far.

KC I miss your advice.

Heavily medicated for your protection.
Founding member of Operation Bbq Relief.

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #92
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Downloads: 0

Great lookin' grub. And about hitting that Piggly-Wiggly, there's still hope....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82_bh...eature=related
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #93
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 3

Very creative entries so far. Way beyond my imagination. I'm very impressed.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #94
High Q
Take a breath!

Default Hobo Game Watching Party

So a couple of hobos from the neighborhood came over to the house this afternoon to watch the game. They brought the following with them.

They wanted to watch the game so I thought we would try to make seven layer dip out of the various canned oddities at my disposal.

Layed down a layer of refried beans for underpinning.

Then went for the ballpark style nacho cheese (I always wondered where that stuff came from)

I browned some ground meat and mixed it with the sloppy joe sauce and put it down next. Ro-tel tomatoes with green chiles went on top of that.

I popped it in the mini-WSM for about 50m on 250ish just to get everything working together (my version of cooking in the can).

Once it cooled a bit, I went over the ro-tel with some guacamole

And finished it with sour cream mixed with taco seasoning.

My wife loaned us some sprinkly mexican cheese and some chips and we were off to watch the ball game. I need a bigger couch with all these cats at my house.

Here's spoonful number one and my throwdown picture.

Enjoy! We did.
"Houston is a wretched little town composed of about twenty shops, and a hundred huts, dispersed here and there, among trunks of felled trees. It is infested with methodists and ants." -Emmanuel Domenech, Catholic Missionary, 1848
High Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #95
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great throw down Very creative I found myself laughing at a lot of those shots. Bill those ribs were nasty Hope the did not smell as bad as they looked
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #96
The BBQ QB
Full Fledged Farker

"Something Cooked from the Can" it says. The "Can"! THE Can. Who can? I can.

So I knew i was going to make Blackened Indian Tilapia, so my first thought was to set the Coleman up in the "can" and cook away. Well, I get the Coleman out and begin to have second thoughts. Although brevity is on my mind, and the idea of fauxing a cook setup in the john for laughs has me chuckling to myself I'm not too sure every one of you will take the yuck for a yuck without actually considering the concept as having merit.

I mean someone actually made a mug out of bacon, so cooking over open flame in an enclosed space doesn't sound like too much of a stretch so I canceled that plan, fun as it sounded.

Besides, "Do not use while sleeping" is actually printed on the outside of the fuel canister; which means, you KNOW someone actually did do that. I mean really, who cooks while sleeping?

Hobo's do, or would, I bet, if they had a Coleman stove.

Anyhow, I needed a can of Talapia. Easy enough, I consulted the Brethren Shelves, stuff you farkers leave alone and gets pushed back into the darkened corners, and lo and behold, way in the back a can, plain, like a paupers can, but well made, adorned with nothing, but simple words....."Tilapia in a can.......Yummmmmmmm". Brethren brand even.

I took this one after I opened the can and pulled them out. For informational purposes; canned Tilapia does not go back into the can like it was when un-canned. Some space, time continuum crap only Steven Hawking knows about. Betcha he hasn't had canned Tilapia, so there's one thing we have on Steven Hawking.

Who knew?

"He chose wisely." echoed in the furthest alcoves of my brain.

The can opened easily enough, spilling forth its bounty with equal speed. If you haven't seen it before, canned Tilapia is as fresh as fresh tilapia. Trust me. (I took photos to prove it.) Something to do with flash freezing ultra recalcitrant concentric vacuum despongification pumping during the canning process. Fine fish indeed. Fine process too. Google it. (Be sure to use the proper key words)

Well now that I had my fish, I went into cook mode.

Home made Garam Masala, add some Greek Seasoning and Fresh Mortar and Pestled Pepper, cracked that is, Capsicum Tea. (No ooze)

Dry off the filets, Extra Virgin olive Oil, and liberal application of seasoning on both sides. Let stand for 20 - 30 minutes. Sliced Zucchini, olive oil and cracked pepper. Made up some Cornbread mix to have me some fish cakes. Not Talapia. I never said this wouldn't get confusing. I made canned fish and corn fish and zucchini.

Here's the Mise en place

Get the smoker up to 375 and stable. Skillet and Corn bread mould on its way to perfection. FWIW I got 5 cornbread moulds in a can too, but I didn't take photos. Sorry, I was too excited un-canning them to remember.

I don't want to hear anything from you "No photos, it didn't happen" farkers. Read the Poobah's missive. No I'm not linking it for you lazy farks. Look it up!

I digress. I started with the cornbread. As I've said I was excited about them. What? fish shaped corn? corn flavored fish? Flavored fish corn? Fish shaped flavors? Man....You can taste the electricity even contemplating the permutations. No? Well, I can. I can indeed. (But not Tilapia, I don't have the highly specialized equipment, nor the pumps)

Hot stuff, first batch on and the skillets HOT. Maybe I need a blinking sign above my smokers? "HOT NOW". Na, it's been done.

They puff up don't they?

These are indeed tasty, but not fishy.

Then I threw the Zucchini on and got to the business of cooking the Tilapia.

A little close with one side done. Pretty flavo-flave lookin, huh.

Finally, there's the plated meal. A delicious, entirely canned extravaganza.

Note: No hobo's were consulted during this process, so some technical oversights and omissions of understanding may have occurred. Any confusion or obfuscation on the part of the author or assumed by the reader are purely side-effects of the readers incapacity or fish identification inabilities. All I can say is read, read, read. Books on canning might help.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

The BBQQB
The BBQ QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #97
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Dang, I wanted to do some canned steak just for Landarc, but couldn't find any. I didn't think to check the BBQ Brethren brand. I know they have canned ribeyes! Wish I thought of that last week when I could've mail ordered some. It's too late now. Nice post and lots of laughs. That tilapia looks great and love those puffer fish.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #98
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Man, that is some awesome brand... I never saw fish look so fresh coming out of a can!!!
Just remember... the standard has gone up. You Americans are getting good at LAMB!

IMBAS Certified MOINK BALLER (NOSKOS RULE)
"Bullet Bill" WSM
"Blue Lou" Performer
Too many other bits of BBQ Gear to count!

SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #99
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

I didn't even thing about canned Prime Rib!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Boxcar Willy, N8 has nice cans!, Nice set of cans!, Throwdown, Throwdown Entry Thread