The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun weekly contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted each week. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, and the chance to choose the next week's category. Fun people only please! If you take this too seriously you will have to leave the party until you are fun again.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #286
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jim View Post
Another point, the last three entries are all very good, but according to the rules posted, the entry must be submitted by 12/31/2010. Although cooked within the time frame of the throwdown they were not submitted until 2011 as seen on the time of their post. Just saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I received a request from someone who would begin cooking today, but would not be finished until after midnight. So, as long as you begin cooking it today, and post your pictures by the deadline (Midnight Central US Time on January 2nd), then your entry will count.
Grrrrr. More competition!

I'm cool with it. Glad to see more entries.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #287
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

2 questions for sawyerr10:

1. if you win, can we have the recipe for the sauce?

2. if you don't win, can we have the recipe for the sauce?

seriously - looks awesome - i wanna cook a whole pig soon. cooking little pieces of them sure is fun but it doesn't get much better than a pig pickin'.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #288
SCRedneckBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

GTR here ya go:

We use a very simple sauce...
Apple Cider Vinegar
Red Pepper
White Pepper
Black Pepper
Brown Sugar

Sorry we don't measure i'ts a feel sort of thing. If you want it really hot, add more red pepper, really sweet more brown sugar

We make it a mild slightly sweet sauce. The key is to let the vinegar mixture simmer for a while, letting it cook down.

Once we start putting it on the pork, we mix it in and let it simmer on the meat for a while, allowing the remainder of the fat and collogen in the meats to mix with the sauce... the longer the better.

That's it in a nutshell, a good place to start is 1 gal of vinegar, and 4 Tablespoons of each pepper and about 1 cup of the brown sugar, adjusting to taste as you go. Again the key is letting it simmer both in the pot and on the meat. Works grreat on whole hog and Boston Butts.
Chargriller Duo Model #5050 w/ firebox, Homemade box pig cooker, Brinkmann Square Vertical Charcoal Smoker

If I have to pull up my big girl panties and deal with it one more time the elastic is going to break and I really will have to show my butt
SCRedneckBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #289
gtr

Damn that sounds good! Gotcha on the measuring thing. Thanks a lot!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #290
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
I think it is cooked by 12/31/2010 and submitted by midnight on 1/2/2011.
I stand corrected, I should have looked further.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #291
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jim View Post
I stand corrected, I should have looked further.
You know, had I been thinking (like that ever happens), I could have updated the rules in the opening post when I made that rule change. Sorry about the confusion.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook well, Marsha Marsha Marsha!, New Shark in Town, No silly tags here, Throwdown, Throwdown Entry Thread