The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 11-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
conroe85
Is lookin for wood to cook with.
 
Join Date: 01-09-10
Location: Magnolia, Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default help with my brisket

need a little advice for my weekend brisket smoke. I am going to smoke a couple of 10-12 lb briskets in my stick burner. I am usually a rib man, but wife wants some brisket for the family get together. Here lies my issue...they want to eat by 4 or 5p on saturday. I work late fri so staying up all night or starting at 3 or 4 is not an option. My trailer pit usually runs between 230 to 260 with no issues. My plan was to rub them down good fri night and wrap them up. Put the meat in the oven around 6 or 7a, at around 200, to heat the meat and we pack up and head over to in-laws. after I get the pit ready (usually takes at least 1 1/2 hrs, I will unwrap and put them on at around 10a. Smoke em' as low as I can until about 3p and wrap them back up for an hour on smoker. open the pit up and let them stay there till 5p and dinner is served. Will I be cutting it close and am I on the right track for a rushed sat meal? advice would be appreciated. By the way, do I keep it on until I get the internal temp to 160 and then wrap again? what temp do I pull them off, 190ish right?
__________________
[B][COLOR=lime]comp stick burner on wheels, UDS, NBS, Old Smokey, tailgate pit :boxing:[/COLOR][/B]

Last edited by conroe85; 11-04-2010 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: add
conroe85 is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Join Date: 01-26-10
Location: Virginia
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I cook brisket hot and fast at 275 - 325 F all the time. I cook them fat cap down until they reach an internal temp of about 150 to 165 F then wrap them in foil. I continue to cook them at 275 to 325 F until they reach an internal temp in the thickest part until they reach 205 F. Then, I wrap them in a thick blanket and put them in a cooler for 2 hours. The last two hours in the cooler finishes them up nicely. I defat the juice in the foil/pan and use it as au jus over the finished brisket. It always turns out tender and delicious. So, it's about 6 hours total for a great brisket.
__________________
[COLOR=royalblue]Jambo Pit - UDS - Lang 60 (Sold)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 07-08-09
Location: Datyona Beach, Fl
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I cook brisket hot and fast at 275 - 325 F all the time. I cook them fat cap down until they reach an internal temp of about 150 to 165 F then wrap them in foil. I continue to cook them at 275 to 325 F until they reach an internal temp in the thickest part until they reach 205 F. Then, I wrap them in a thick blanket and put them in a cooler for 2 hours. The last two hours in the cooler finishes them up nicely. I defat the juice in the foil/pan and use it as au jus over the finished brisket. It always turns out tender and delicious. So, it's about 6 hours total for a great brisket.
OFF Topic......Why does the above^^^^contain one more sentenance than the one on the topic page, see below:

I cook brisket hot and fast at 275 - 325 F all the time. I cook them fat cap down until they reach an internal temp of about 150 to 165 F then wrap them in foil. I continue to cook them at 275 to 325 F until they reach an internal temp in the thickest part until they reach 205 F. Then, I wrap them in a thick blanket and put them in a cooler for 2 hours. The last two hours in the cooler finishes them up nicely. I defat the juice in the foil/pan and use it as au jus over the finished brisket. It always turns out tender and delicious.

The above is a direct copy of the original.....

ON topic....

I need to try a hot and fast brisket soon.........

Thanks,

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Join Date: 01-26-10
Location: Virginia
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
OFF Topic......Why does the above^^^^contain one more sentenance than the one on the topic page, see below:

I cook brisket hot and fast at 275 - 325 F all the time. I cook them fat cap down until they reach an internal temp of about 150 to 165 F then wrap them in foil. I continue to cook them at 275 to 325 F until they reach an internal temp in the thickest part until they reach 205 F. Then, I wrap them in a thick blanket and put them in a cooler for 2 hours. The last two hours in the cooler finishes them up nicely. I defat the juice in the foil/pan and use it as au jus over the finished brisket. It always turns out tender and delicious.

The above is a direct copy of the original.....

ON topic....

I need to try a hot and fast brisket soon.........

Thanks,

Paul B
SS UDS
Please clarify. I don't know what you mean.
__________________
[COLOR=royalblue]Jambo Pit - UDS - Lang 60 (Sold)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
landarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-26-09
Location: San Leandro, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

If your smoker can run comfortably in the 275F to 300F range, a hot and fast brisket is a great way to go. It is not really a whole lot different to do packers at 300F than 250F, just a lot faster. Boshizzle's method looks good.
__________________
I'm feeling bearish, and I'm packing a Wusthof Grand Brisket slicer from MABA

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
Ron_L
Moderator

 
Ron_L's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-09-04
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
OFF Topic......Why does the above^^^^contain one more sentenance than the one on the topic page, see below:
Because the quote box is a few characters narrower than the full thread width, so the lines wrapped at different points, causing the text to overflow onto an additional line. That's it, nothing sinister
__________________
"Ron Rico, Boss. You can call me Captain Ron..."

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 11-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 07-08-09
Location: Datyona Beach, Fl
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Because the quote box is a few characters narrower than the full thread width, so the lines wrapped at different points, causing the text to overflow onto an additional line. That's it, nothing sinister
Sinister or not, I would have missed the part about 6 hours if I had not responded to the thread in the "reply to thread" box. Is it something I need to do on my end to see entire posts???

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Brisket Please Help First Brisket What Went Wrong why does my Brisket Suck Thread barbefunkoramaque Q-talk 48 03-14-2014 06:54 PM
Pitmaster T's Official Brisket Please Help First Brisket What Went Wrong why does my Brisket Suck Thread Pitmaster T Q-talk 32 09-16-2011 05:44 PM
Overnight Brisket last night-done this morning? Dinner tonight...what to do with the farking brisket till then Butt_Pirate Q-talk 10 07-03-2011 10:55 AM
Brisket Challenge: Brisket, charcoal grill, 2 hours-what to do fireman_pete Q-talk 45 08-30-2010 10:39 AM
UDS Brisket PRON (my 1st brisket...done) KSims1868 Q-talk 16 05-10-2010 08:43 AM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts