Need Help with Smoking a Turkey for the first time!

Well, I think the turkey was a success.

Most importantly, I know I can do better.

Now, I'm not making any excuses, but a bunch of my friends and I went out for Halloween and got kind of banged up. Needless to say, I wasn't feeling excellent the next day.
Pairing that, with the fact my favorite team had a bye week, it was kind of the perfect storm.

As a result, the turkey went on A LOT later than I had planned on, and I wasn't able to take it out of the brine and let the skin harden up a bit (which I definitely planned on doing).

I brined for about 36hrs straight.
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup kosher salt
2 tablespoons pure honey
1/4 cup grade B maple syrup (whatever I had left in the bottle just to use the stuff)
2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
2 cups apple cider

Mix that all up over the stove until dissolve in about 4 cups of water.
After the ingredients were dissolved I added it to a 5 gallon bucket which contained 1 gallon of water already.

After rinsing, I dropped the turkey in.

I don't have any pictures of this, sorry for that.

Sunday, after crawling out of bed, I pulled the turkey out of the brine, rinsed, but not heavily, and padded down the remaining water.
I cut up 2 lemons in halves, stuffed them up the butt.
Put the turkey on a plate and back in the fridge for about 45 minutes.

Threw on the UDS, with plenty of cherry wood and hardwood charcoal.
Had the UDS at about between 195-225 degrees

Low N Slow

After about 2 hrs, I began spraying the turkey every hr heavily with apple cider in a spray bottle.

4 hrs in, I mopped the turkey with melted butter.

After 6hrs, the turkey was done. I took the turkey out at 163 degrees and covered with foil and let it sit for 20 minutes.

It came out extremely juicy. Better than my Uncles, at least in my opinion. Everyone seemed satisfied as well. The skin was a little rubbery, but I know that was laziness and alcohol to blame. I know I will get better.
All in all, I proclaim success.

Thank you everyone for your input and for making this possible!
I owe you guys!
Here are some pics!
Enjoy and Thanks again!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 254
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 253
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 253
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 250
Nice job!
:clap2::clap2:

Hard to beat smoked turkey!
Thanks for the follow up!

Awesome glad it worked out. I've noticed my turkeys cook faster after brining as well.

Back