The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Smile Crispy Sriracha Hot Wings

I found a really cool wing recipe a while back, and thought this would be a good entry for the “Crispy” throwdown, not to mention trying something new and delicious. While the recipe called for the wings to be cooked in the oven for 30 mins, I knew grilling them indirect would be just as good, if not better.

In a plastic ziplock bag, I put some sea salt, cumin, coriander and olive oil, and threw in the wings and tossed so they could get coated with the spices and oil. I let this sit in the fridge for about 7 hours.

I fired up my Kingsford oval for indirect grilling. I still had some Kiawe wood that Saiko sent me, so I decided to put a piece on to give the wings a mild smoke flavor.

Once I put the wings on, I closed the lid of the kettle and opened all the vents. The oval quickly got up to 350 degrees...

I turned the wings every 10 mins:

After the wings had been on for 30 mins, I pulled them:

Now it was time to prepare the sauce mixture. The recipe called for butter, Sriracha sauce, chopped garlic, and cilantro. When I pulled the cilantro out of the fridge, I found these:

Those are Thai bird chiles, and I thought they would kick the heat up a few notches, so I chopped up two of them to add to the sauce mixture.

Meanwhile, the missus started frying up the wings in our cast iron chicken fryer to get them nice and crispy:

I melted the butter in a small saucepan, and decided to add the garlic as well so it could cook a bit. After that, I put all the sauce ingredients together:

Then, we tossed the wings in the sauce, and served them with sliced carrots, celery, and ranch dressing.

The wings were excellent - nice and crispy on the outside, but moist and tender on the inside, and they really packed quite a kick with the addition of the thai chiles. We will certainly be doing them again! Next time however, I will be doubling up the marinade/rub, and I may try chopping up a jalapeno and adding it to the sauce and see how that affects the flavor profile.

Here's the recipe I used:

Crispy Sriracha Hot Wings

The basics:
* 4 pounds chicken wings, cut up (serves 4)
* 1-2 quarts vegetable oil for deep-frying

For the marinade:
* 1/8 cup ground coriander (2 Tbs)
* 1/2 tsp ground cumin
* 1 Tbs kosher salt
* 1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil(2 Tbs)

For the sauce:
* 1/2 cup Hot Sriracha chili sauce (or to taste)
* 3/4 stick (6 tbl) unsalted butter, melted
* 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
* finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
* 4 large cloves garlic, minced

1. In a large zip-lock bag, combine coriander, cumin, salt and olive oil. Toss in the wings and massage the bag to coat. Refrigerate at least 4 hours, or overnight. Though the volume of the marinade seems small and barely coats the wings, it is critical to the success of this recipe.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place wings in a single layer on a large, rimmed baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Bake for about 30 minutes, until wings are firm, but not done. (They’ll finish cooking in the deep-fryer). Remove them from the oven and place on a platter to dry before frying.
3. In a clean bowl, blend cilantro, minced garlic, lime zest and juice, and melted butter. Add 1/2 cup Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce, combine and set aside
4. Working in small batches, deep-fry wings until crispy and browned, 2-4 min. Drain briefly on paper towels, then toss the hot wings in the sauce. Let the wings sit for 2-5 minutes before serving so the flavors soak into the wings.
5. Serve hot, on a platter with your favorite condiments

(serves 4 – figure 1lb wings per person)

Custom Avatars by Grillman
Check out my blog:
www.mooseonfire.com

Last edited by BobBrisket; 11-14-2013 at 01:44 PM..
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-25-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
bigabyte

Thanks for sharing! They sure look good!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Thanks Moose, those look great! I personally hate frying things. Is that last step necessary? Seems like they'd be pretty good without that step.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

I love wings, thanks for the recipe!

Old 10-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Oh yeah those look killer!

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
Moose

If you grilled them to fully cooked, you could skip the frying part, but you wouldn't have the crisp/crunch factor you'd get by frying them. Also, frying them puts a nice crust on the wings that helps soak up the sauce. Give it a shot and see how you like it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Thanks Moose, those look great! I personally hate frying things. Is that last step necessary? Seems like they'd be pretty good without that step.
Custom Avatars by Grillman
Check out my blog:
www.mooseonfire.com

Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
Big George's BBQ

They look Great
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
4dueces
is one Smokin' Farker

Outstanding. I'll have to try that as wings and Sriracha sauce are two of my favorites. Never thought about putting them together.
4dueces is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
HOPTOAD
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the recipe... sounds and looks fantastic.
HOPTOAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
bluetang

Thanks for that, they look really good from here!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 3 Stack Pro Q Excel 20, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM, 150lb Capacity Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #11
sportsnut
is one Smokin' Farker

Yummy, I'd hit it....
sportsnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #12
Boshizzle

Very nice! If it has Sriracha on it, it's gotta be good.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #13
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Hot damn those look good!
Another option to crisp them up without the frying would be to put them in a 450 degree oven until they crisped up a bit. Wouldn't be near as good, but would be acceptable if you wanted to skip the frying part. I'll be giving those a shot, I love Sriracha on anything!

For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote