MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #46
lcbateman3
is One Chatty Farker

I'm not Worthy, I'm not Worthy

You only fail if you do not try.
lcbateman3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #47
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #48
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Chris,

That's farkin' Genius! It's amazing how long we've all been Q'in, then someone drops in with a new idea.

Hey Mods, we need a new type of cateogry, "post of the year" and we vote on the most interesting, new, etc, etc.

I nominate Bigabyte.
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #49
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Well I finally made it out of the wood pile to check out your nutted fattie sploogie...

Looks awesome! I'd definitely hit some of that!

Somethin' about wives though... I showed your fattie to my wife ( ) just to prove that there are folks that are more insane than I and she says "Thats disgusting" Whateva'!

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #50
bigabyte

I'm beginning to think that most women have an aversion to eating fatties with nuts?
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #51
feltrider99
On the road to being a farker

I showed the pics to my wife and she said "Don't even think about making that." Must be good!
feltrider99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #52
misterrachel

Quote:
Originally Posted by feltrider99 View Post
I showed the pics to my wife and she said "Don't even think about making that." Must be good!
My wife had the EXACT same reaction!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #53
MDG3
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I'm beginning to think that most women have an aversion to eating fatties with nuts?
If you ain't married, I'll bet that ain't true.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:01 PM   #54
toddrod

I am surely going to try this out. How did you season your pork meat?

Old 10-13-2010, 11:24 PM   #55
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrod View Post
I am surely going to try this out. How did you season your pork meat?
I bought the sausage from a butcher, it's a medium heat breakfast sausage. It was not maple sausage nor was it sage, jsut regular breakfast sausage. This sausage is lower fat content than Jimmy Dean however, so keep that in mind when picking your sausage out. This stuff was 80/20 (80% lean/20% fat), which I prefer over the 70/30 that Jimmy Dean is. I wouldn't recommend trying sage sausage, maple would be fine I suppose, but it is already pretty sweet so I don't see why you would need the maple boost.

After rolling the sausage, I did not season it, but I did add the brown sugar/cayenne rub to the outside of the bacon weave.

The overall taste was very similar to pancakes and sausage with a maple/pecan syrup. It was more "meaty" tasting than "pecan pie" tasting, so in terms of how to dress it up in the end, I recommend dressing it up to flavor the meat. That's why I went with the BBQ sauce, which is a thick, sweet, smokey sauce packed with flavor, just a little goes a long way. For the particular sauce I used, I found the Extra-Hot to be just right, but I kind of like things spicy and the extra sweet in this balanced the spicy out. I know someone mentioned whipped cream, and I was prepared to add whipped cream to this myself when I made this, but upon tasting it I did not think I would like it with whipped cream. It is a sweet meat flavor, not a pie with meat flavor, if that makes sense.

I recommend trying a slice for yourself and then deciding what to add to it, if anything. A great many BBQ sauces would clash with the flavor, so make a decision on what to add after tasting it.

It's really good, and I will be making it again, no doubt about that. I finished it off today. I'm sure I'll be craving one again some time soon. If you make it, please share your thoughts. I would like to know if I am insane for thinking this is good, or if it really is good.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.

Last edited by bigabyte; 10-14-2010 at 12:17 AM..

Old 10-14-2010, 05:40 AM   #56
cgwaite
Full Fledged Farker

Now that's takin' it up a notch! BAM!
1 - 18.5 WSM
KCBS Member #52009
Certified MOINK Baller
cgwaite is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2010, 05:41 AM   #57
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Forget the sausage, how did you make your pecan pie?

And it took you 3 days to eat one fattie?

A fattie a day keeps the doctor away.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2010, 05:58 AM   #58
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Forget the sausage, how did you make your pecan pie?

And it took you 3 days to eat one fattie?

A fattie a day keeps the doctor away.
I didn't make the pie, it came from a bakery. They prided themselves by saying they used real maple syrup, brown sugar, and butter. But now that I think about it, they never said anything about real pecans!

Normally, a fatty doesn't last more than 30 minutes after it is pulled off of the smoker. This fatty was a bit more substantial.

While it was only composed of a paltry one pound of sausage, wrapped with a mere 1 pound of bacon, it was also filled with roughly half of a pecan pie, and dusted with brown sugar for good measure. I do not have the exact nutritional info, but I imagine it had some lasting power in terms of calories, perhaps more substantial than your typical energy bar.

The first day, I ate half of it before I even realized it. It was so blissful that it put me in a stupor for the rest of the day. The next day I made sure to eat my Wheaties for breakfast, instead of the fatty. This gave me sufficient strength to tackle 1/2 of the remaining fatty at lunch without the intoxicating rapture, allowing me to make further contributions to society. I took a similar approach yesterday when I finished the last of it.

I equate this approach to eating some food and drinking some water before drinking alcohol, really. It's just a good idea to take some measures ahead of time to allow yourself some indulgence of this reward.

I suppose eating broccoli would be a similar preventive measure, but for this dish, I recommend going full-tilt anti-veggie. Just get some soluble fiber and you'll be fine. Maybe a glass of Benefiber?

Duh.

Last edited by bigabyte; 10-14-2010 at 06:43 AM..

Old 10-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #59
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

What?? I thought she was upset because she made the pie. I bet they were mock pecans. Heck, you were doing her a favor by putting it in a fattie. Well, you can just add a homemade pecan pie to your staycation cooking list -- I like chocolate pecan.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #60
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
What?? I thought she was upset because she made the pie. I bet they were mock pecans. Heck, you were doing her a favor by putting it in a fattie. Well, you can just add a homemade pecan pie to your staycation cooking list -- I like chocolate pecan.
No, she doesn't even like Pecan Pie. She was upset because I brought home a pecan pie, but did not bring her a pie of her own. Then, just a short while later my pecan pie was half gone. She wanted reciprocity.

Duh.

Tags
fatty, Pecan Pie Fatty, Pecan Pig