ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #16
bmanMA
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I'm really having a hard time trying to figure how a brisket can taste hammy. Hammy is a taste that I associate with cured pork. Do you mean that it was salty? Did you use the amount of water that Kosmo specified?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was salty. I used the correct amount of water, i think ;)

The texture also backed up the hamminess. The meat was undercooked as per temp. The meat was very tender and moist, but not the texture that you expect. As I've been thinking about this today, I am leaning towards an explanation which is a bit of the perfect storm. What do you think?

1) Windy day, may have affected temps that I was unaware of, potentially taking pit temps down. It didn't have its cozy on :(
2) Injection was salty, and I used a lot of it, and let it sit overnight. Perhaps overnight is too long, and perhaps I injected too much.
3) The meat may have been soaked in a solution in the bag; i will have to check that next time.
3) Meat temp never got right, but because of the overnight marinade it was tender, leading me to pull it prematurely since my pen slid right through it... ?

Last edited by bmanMA; 09-06-2010 at 05:59 PM..
bmanMA is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #17
jgarofalo
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm gonna go with "Wally world meats are THE WORST" So far, everything I've bought and made from them is hammy. I'm sticking with regular old food store for meats from now on.

Your meat was probably enhanced.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #18
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarofalo View Post
I'm gonna go with "Wally world meats are THE WORST" So far, everything I've bought and made from them is hammy. I'm sticking with regular old food store for meats from now on.

I agree with this just because I been there with food from other places. I bought some Hormel BB from Jewel that were a 2 for one sale. I quickly found out why they were on sale. Was the worst ribs I ever tasted.

Proud Owner of a UDS & UDG

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill

Member of the Drumhead Club
ChicagoSizzlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #19
bmanMA
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarofalo View Post

Hey, I am 100% all-natural my friend ;)

So, I stopped by the Wally to read the f'n package. Yup, enhanced. Like a mother. Never thought to look for it, but then again this was the first time I've bought anything there, as well as being the first time I have bought a flat-only Angus in a fancy package. Won't make that mistake again

Brethren sniffed this one out. Nice.
bmanMA is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #20
bmanMA
is one Smokin' Farker

For completeness' sake, I'm posting the follow up.
I got a nice brisky from my local butcher and used Kosmo's to inject once again. I added some rub and water to the mix and injected as I had done previously (where i FAILED). It was very good. Clearly my problem had been the enhanced cut of the WallyWorld meat. I took 10th out of 44 in brisket that day. Plenty of room to improve, but I was pretty happy that the hamminess was gone. Check your labels!!!

Unread 10-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #21
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Just read through the whole thread. I knew in your first post what was wrong, and that is:

WALLY WORLD + MEAT for Q'ing = FAILURE.

Hope your next one is better!
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-01-2010, 11:57 PM   #22
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I'm really having a hard time trying to figure how a brisket can taste hammy. Hammy is a taste that I associate with cured pork. Do you mean that it was salty? Did you use the amount of water that Kosmo specified?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep Ron, that is the first time I have ever heard someone use that description with a brisket. Just don't have a clue to help with the taste issue. Hope someone has a better idea.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-02-2010, 12:17 AM   #23
DickQ
Knows what a fatty is.

check your meat thermometer, it could be wrong.. a 5.5 flat will never take that long to cook wrapped or unwrapped..my guess is it was overcooked and dry . Thats why it didn't pull apart right

Custom built 6 rack rotisserie stick burner
Custom built pellet burn insulated vertical
Custom built charcoal gravity feed vertical
Backwoods Party
Weber 22" WSM
Weber kettle
BBQ Gurus
DickQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #24
smokedinvt
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanMA View Post
For completeness' sake, I'm posting the follow up.
I got a nice brisky from my local butcher and used Kosmo's to inject once again. I added some rub and water to the mix and injected as I had done previously (where i FAILED). It was very good. Clearly my problem had been the enhanced cut of the WallyWorld meat. I took 10th out of 44 in brisket that day. Plenty of room to improve, but I was pretty happy that the hamminess was gone. Check your labels!!!
Thanks for this tip and to the Brethren. Important stuff to know for us novices.
Memo to file - no meats from Wally World.
We have some local butchers around. Sounds like a good enough reason to shop locally.
smokedinvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #25
btcg
Babbling Farker

Next time be sure you're @ 190 at very least before pulling it. If the weather isn't cooperating, foil and place in the oven at a higher temp.

[FONT=Courier New][I]Proud Graduate of:[/I][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Jack's Old South BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Johnny Trigg & Rod Gray BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Paul Kirk BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
btcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, ham, injection