The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 12-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #31
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Yep, Brian is real good at making his boxes now...

NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-27-2010, 10:36 PM   #32
paulpoli
Found some matches.

Do you know approximately how much parsley you need per box? Just need help estimating

EDIT: I somehow missed the 2nd page and saw a comment that "He got a whole case and used 1/4 to 1/3 of it for one contest" so I guess I figured out my answer
paulpoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2010, 06:13 AM   #33
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

I usually figure on 2 bunches per box.. than pick up a few extra. But it depends on how fresh the bunches look.

Unread 07-28-2010, 07:13 AM   #34
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I usually get 6 - 8 bunches depending on the quality with 2 heads of green leaf lettuce.

Unread 07-28-2010, 07:24 AM   #35
ammoore
On the road to being a farker

I don't think anywill will argue the point that parsley boxes do look wonderful. And like most I can attest that my average appearance scores went up once I started doing them. However if I could give two pieces of advice for those just converting.....
1. Depending on how you place your entry on the bed of parsley, the middle may not even be visible (this is the case with my ribs, brisket and pork) So I don't kill myself making the whole box look perfect for those entries, I just focus on the edges.

2. Boxes are usually the last thing I do prior to getting a little sleep. So, I'm already tired and in a hurry to be finished with doing them. Have an extra head of parsley for touchups in the morning. You may find yourself wondering what you were thinking when you thought the box was good enough the night before.
ammoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #36
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

^^^good advice^^^

Since we put a refrigerator in our comp trailer, we've started doing boxes on Friday. They look better than when we would rush through them on Saturday. It gives us plenty of time to relax a little before things start getting hectic.

Unread 07-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #37
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

Better yet, make your boxes up before the contest using your own clamshells and transfer the greens to the contest box once you get them.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #38
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig View Post
Better yet, make your boxes up before the contest using your own clamshells and transfer the greens to the contest box once you get them.
Yeah Paul, I was amazed at the way you can "build" a box in less than 30 seconds .

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #39
sssSmoking
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Clamshell

Quote:
Where can you find the proper size/shape Clamshell? I have been having trouble locating. Thanks Don
sssSmoking is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #40
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssSmoking View Post
Where can you find the proper size/shape Clamshell? I have been having trouble locating. Thanks Don
Sam's usually has some. You just can't always count on getting the same size and shape when the contest Rep gives you your boxes. 9x9 is pretty standard, but there are exceptions to that rule.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #41
sssSmoking

Default Transfering

Quote:
Is there a trick in transfer the greens into the contest box. Looks like that would be very tricky.

Unread 07-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #42
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssSmoking View Post
Is there a trick in transfer the greens into the contest box. Looks like that would be very tricky.
Put a liner of parchment paper in your box, leaving excess in the front and back. Cut the corners of your parchment liner so it lies flat in the box. Build your putting green. Place a damp paper towel over the putting green and secure for travel with a damper made from cutting down a clamshell top or bottom. When ready to transfer, remove the damper and paper towel and grab the parchment liner by the corners. Lift out of your box and place into the contest box. Use one hand/arm to hold the parsley in place while you slowly pull the parchment liner out. The whole transfer process takes less than a minute.

Now, who can explain to me why the parchment paper always has pink streaks on it when you pull it out?

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #43
sssSmoking

Default Outstanding

Quote:
Put a liner of parchment paper in your box, leaving excess in the front and back. Cut the corners of your parchment liner so it lies flat in the box. Build your putting green. Place a damp paper towel over the putting green and secure for travel with a damper made from cutting down a clamshell top or bottom. When ready to transfer, remove the damper and paper towel and grab the parchment liner by the corners. Lift out of your box and place into the contest box. Use one hand/arm to hold the parsley in place while you slowly pull the parchment liner out. The whole transfer process takes less than a minute.

Now, who can explain to me why the parchment paper always has pink streaks on it when you pull it out?
Wooooo, now that is incredible. U tha man PAUL

Unread 07-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #44
Tiki Wolf
On the road to being a farker

How about placing crumpled paper towels on top of the parsely to make a snug fit and hold the parsley in place, close the box, invert it, remove the parchment from the bottom, close again, turn back over, then remove the paper towels? Has anyone tried that method yet?

Unread 10-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #45
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Chlorophyll reacting with the silicone on the parchment.