MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
Manny69
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Fec100

Hey guys I'm new around here. Name is Chris from Central Kansas. Right now i currently have a smoker that is a 250 gal rf on a trailer for comps. We are considering selling this and getting an FEC 100. I was wondering if anybody has any cons on these units? I know all the good and heard tons of pros but no cons really. Please help. Thanks.
Manny69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

I own one, and honestly, I can't get a great brisket out of it. everything else is on the money, it cooks awesome pork, ribs and chicken, but for some reason, not brisket. probally just need a great recipe,,,,,
FEC-100's
KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
n-2-que
is one Smokin' Farker

i use my FEC100 for what two years now and no problems at all haven't found anything that didnt taste great.
Cooker
CookShack- Fec100
BGE - Extra Large with Table
Weber- 22 inch Kettle

Old 07-19-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Poohba?

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
FattyMac
Full Fledged Farker

Here is an FEC for beginners post that may be of interest:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=85422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Mike View Post
I own one, and honestly, I can't get a great brisket out of it. everything else is on the money, it cooks awesome pork, ribs and chicken, but for some reason, not brisket. probably just need a great recipe,,,,,
That's funny I was at a comp this past weekend and a couple of teams only use their FECs for brisket. I haven't been able to produce a decent brisket period, and I'm sure that's just me.

Last edited by FattyMac; 07-19-2010 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Spelling and to make the link clickable
FattyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Mike View Post
I own one, and honestly, I can't get a great brisket out of it. everything else is on the money, it cooks awesome pork, ribs and chicken, but for some reason, not brisket. probally just need a great recipe,,,,,
I placed 1st in brisket this weekend in Burlington, KS out of 54 teams. Also placed 1st in brisket at the 2009 American Royal invitational out of 126 teams. Just saying.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
I placed 1st in brisket this weekend in Burlington, KS out of 54 teams. Also placed 1st in brisket at the 2009 American Royal invitational out of 126 teams. Just saying.
But we all know your rubs are like Crack!

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Firehouse BBQ View Post
Hey guys I'm new around here. Name is Chris from Central Kansas. Right now i currently have a smoker that is a 250 gal rf on a trailer for comps. We are considering selling this and getting an FEC 100. I was wondering if anybody has any cons on these units? I know all the good and heard tons of pros but no cons really. Please help. Thanks.
I am very happy with my FEC and would buy it again it I were starting over. As far as cons, I can think of a few...

1. Need electricity. This is generally not a problem, but most of us who cook competitions carry back up power of some sort just in case. For home or restaurant use this isn't as big of a deal.

2. It contains electronics and mechanical parts that can fail. The FEC is incredibly reliable, but failures happen.

3. If you like a heavy some flavor then the FEC may not be for you. There are ways to add more smoke flavor, but it will never be as strong as a stick burner.

4. People call you names like "cheater" or "pellethead" or "pellet pooper"

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote