The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #16
fshnwiz
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Just my opinion mind you but I would never disgrace a 55 gal drum by laying it on its side or by cutting holes in it for anything other than air intake. I recently modified my pds (prettty drum smoker) by extending the height by 5 1/2 ". This allowed me to install another rack right at the top of the original drum. Now By adding some hooks to my charcoal basket I can raise It and hang it on my original grate bolts If I happen to need to sear or to grill something. Best of both worlds.
fshnwiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-17-2010, 07:34 AM   #17
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

It's just 1 idea I had. Like I said, based it on the "big baby" design, which seems to be pretty popular. I wouldn't go as far to say that laying a drum on its side was a disgrace, i'm just trying to some up with ways to make a larger capacity unit using drums instead of, say, a gigantic propane tank. Drums are free and easy to get for me- large tanks are expensive and hard to move. I don't know. Still a work in progress.

Unread 06-17-2010, 07:59 AM   #18
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Your first idea is doable, the second looks like a cold smoker. Variations of your ideas were in Mechanics Illustrated in the 50s and 60s and I'm sure many people built them. Your horizontal grill needs to be raised from the wood on bolts and the wood protected from heat by diffuser metal.
I think your UDS and horizontal grill need a third vertical UDS style barrel with an offset wood burning firebox(also a M.I. plan). I'm sure these plans have been posted by a Brethren within the past 3 years.
Your climate is similiar to mine and I need to wrap my UDS in the winter to keep it efficient. You would need alot of fire to melt the snow off two drums.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #19
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Hmmmm, some interesting points to consider.

Unread 07-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #20
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Here's a better pic:

Unread 07-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #21
Howtobrew
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

You can use tile backer board from Home Depot for insulating to your wood frame. It's called Hardi-board or something like that. Ceramic composite, non-flammable. quarter inch thick. Easily cut to size.

Unread 07-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #22
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

if you couldnt make your little "clean out" door on your UDSv1 seal decent. how do you think you are going to get those monster doors on this to seal up enough to hold temp and smoke?

Unread 07-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #23
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

HOLY FARK MAN!!!!!

If you tell me that you just "whipped up" these sketches, I'm gonna scream!! The modeling pics look pretty awesome!

I'm even an AutoCAD guy, but holy CHIT batman!

Nice "rough sketches"!!

All-in-all, I guess I don't see the point of combining the smokers. It'll make it aweful heavy and less portable. I have a UDS and a couple of kettles and I'm glad they are all independent. I've loaded each up in the truck and sometimes a couple at a time to take to friend's/family's places or even camping (yeah, that's how I roll) and if they were tied together with a cabinet, that would've been hard to do. I have used 1, 2 or even 3 cookers at the same time and I just roll them all out to the driveway as I need them.

Look, I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I'm just throwing it out there.

Looking forward to final pics of whatever you do.
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #24
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyinsd View Post
if you couldnt make your little "clean out" door on your UDSv1 seal decent. how do you think you are going to get those monster doors on this to seal up enough to hold temp and smoke?
Ummm, the fact that I'm actually going to put a seal on it? Better design? More reseach? More experience? Probably a combination of all those things.

On the first UDS I built, I made no attempt to even create a seal. I just cut the door out and went on. It wasn't really a surprise that it let a bunch of air into the drum. The surprise (to me) was how difficult it made cooking in it.

Unread 07-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #25
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
HOLY FARK MAN!!!!!

If you tell me that you just "whipped up" these sketches, I'm gonna scream!! The modeling pics look pretty awesome!

I'm even an AutoCAD guy, but holy CHIT batman!

Nice "rough sketches"!!

All-in-all, I guess I don't see the point of combining the smokers. It'll make it aweful heavy and less portable. I have a UDS and a couple of kettles and I'm glad they are all independent. I've loaded each up in the truck and sometimes a couple at a time to take to friend's/family's places or even camping (yeah, that's how I roll) and if they were tied together with a cabinet, that would've been hard to do. I have used 1, 2 or even 3 cookers at the same time and I just roll them all out to the driveway as I need them.

Look, I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I'm just throwing it out there.

Looking forward to final pics of whatever you do.
Thanks!

Whip them up? Hardly. Each one took at least a couple hrs. The model was probaby 5-6 hrs.

The point? ...just like building stuff. I think it's a viable design. Like I said- the capacity of a big cabinet smoker without the investment.

Just got a new job with much better pay. Might be able to build this thing sooner than I thought.

Unread 07-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #26
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean "Puffy" Coals View Post
Thanks!

Whip them up? Hardly. Each one took at least a couple hrs. The model was probaby 5-6 hrs.

The point? ...just like building stuff. I think it's a viable design. Like I said- the capacity of a big cabinet smoker without the investment.

Just got a new job with much better pay. Might be able to build this thing sooner than I thought.
I think your biggest challenge (besides getting a good seal on the doors) is going to be getting enough heat into your verticals. Big Baby uses much larger diameter stove pipes. I know you said it wasn't to scale, so maybe that's what's throwing me off, but I think you'd need much more and more direct an opening from your proposed firebox to your verticals.

Aside from that, I think the concept is sound. Execution will be your bugaboo. Can you weld?
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #27
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Hey I know it seems obvious and looking at it now its prob a bit tall and top-heavy and one day will prob fall over and crush a small animal but this could be an option.. couldn't it? Just stack one drum on top of the other. You will most likely have a difference in heat temps at the top but then you could prob use the top racks for warming or something... hmm i dunno. Not sure if it will work to be honest but I have already put together the illustration so I might as well show it. A possibility... maybe! maybe not? lol

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen-capture-229.jpg (27.0 KB, 104 views)
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #28
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Might be in the position to buy a welder in a few weeks- provided my expense checks start comin. Question is- what should I buy? Mig, tig, stick, arc? What do the welders recommend recommend for a beginner? Need something cheap and easy to use/learn.

Unread 09-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #29
citrus
Full Fledged Farker

Man, that thing will hold a lot of meat!

Unread 07-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #30
aaabbq
Found some matches.

have you started this build yet? im looking at doing one very simalar
aaabbq is offline   Reply With Quote