The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Various Kettle Questions

1) Any thoughts, pros vs cons on the EZ Que Rotisserie Ring vs the Weber Rotisserie Ring? I'm thinking I've heard that the EZ Que is "better" (it's certainly shinier), and I can get either for about the same price. I like the idea of the cage on the EZ Que, but I plan to add a ROL, and this needs to fit both a standard kettle and a Cajun Bandit.

2) Any one have any info on the Kettle Gas Conversion kit? I've seen references to them installed, a but a quick search on the net showed that they were only available in Au 5+ years ago. Any one know if they are available in the US or on the net now, from where, and if it's worth it? Can you still use charcoal, or is it an either/or kind of thing?

3) Finally does any one know of any kits specifically designed to convert either a Performer or an LP converted OTG to NG? If no kits, any one know what that would entail? Just a new reg? Would holes have to be bored too? Would it still work with LP, or would that ruin it?

Thanks for any thoughts and advice,

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
mbshop
Babbling Farker

ezq seems to be out of business. but you can find deals on cl or ebay at times. they are good units. i have a weber setup for my kettles which i like. the ezq's i have are for my cg and i like them also. no gas conversions that i know of in the u.s. there are ones available from south africa. as to going to ng, why?? they use so little propane as it is.

Unread 07-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks. I guess I'll wait for any direct comparison on the kettle kits. As to why ng, well, as little lp as the kits use, ng is still cheaper, so why not? Also, if I go gas on the CB, having the endless supply of ng means not having to weigh my tank and drive to the (far away) refill station before a cook. While I'm not the biggest tree hugger in the world, ng just result in less post-consumer waste, which is a good thing, and the final reason: For the second time in as many homes, I've paid to have an ng line run to my patio/deck. This time I'm determined to use it if I can, so if the options there, I wanna take advantage of it.

dmp

Unread 07-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Why go to the expense? Make your own. I did and it works great.

This was actually a pic I took for my UDS build, but if you look behind the UDS to the right, you can see my weber kettle with the rotisserie ring I made.

I took a section of drum, cut it at the "roller flare" to create a flange, cut some 2.5" slots for the spit and mounted the rotisserie brackets.

I used it the other night on the UDS to do a couple of chickens. Including the cost of the handles, the thing cost me about $10.00 to make.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

If I was still in St. Louis, I'd offer you $25 to make another. I don't have the time, and I'd likely screw it up anyway. Still waiting for any one with an opinion on one vs the other....

dmp

Tags
kettle, rotisserie