MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #76
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
This is pretty much my recipe every time. I do add some jalepeno slices. Plus I crumble the bacon and put it in the middle. The weave seems to fall off when cutting and serving so I retired it.

Melt all your stuffing together then roll it up like a tootsie roll in saran wrap, put it in the fridge and let it get cold and solid again. Less explosions without any lumps or air in the center.

that fatty form/press (looks like a piece of 1-1/2" pvc pipe) that (sorry i cant remember her name ) the gal from ok or ks that is a frequent poster here, uses looks like a pretty slick method for keeping the guts together until its time to roll.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #77
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyinsd View Post
that fatty form/press (looks like a piece of 1-1/2" pvc pipe) that (sorry i cant remember her name ) the gal from ok or ks that is a frequent poster here, uses looks like a pretty slick method for keeping the guts together until its time to roll.
I believe you are speaking of Cowgirl!

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #78
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
I believe you are speaking of Cowgirl!
thats her, thanks.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #79
B C BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Couple questions:
If a fatty is 1 pound or more of sausage formed into a log then how could you ever fit six of those into a turn in box?
What happens after you cook/smoke your fatty and then slice it and grill it? Is it called a grilled fatty then?
Smoke in da Eye mentioned mini individual fatties. How do these qualify as fatties if the previous definition were to be strictly adhered to?

Why are fatties included in grilling contests if in fact they seem to be or are a slow cooked smoked bbq item? At a contest does the organizer lay out the definition and cooking procedure for a fatty?

Old 06-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #80
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by B C BBQ View Post
Couple questions:
If a fatty is 1 pound or more of sausage formed into a log then how could you ever fit six of those into a turn in box?
What happens after you cook/smoke your fatty and then slice it and grill it? Is it called a grilled fatty then?
Smoke in da Eye mentioned mini individual fatties. How do these qualify as fatties if the previous definition were to be strictly adhered to?

Why are fatties included in grilling contests if in fact they seem to be or are a slow cooked smoked bbq item? At a contest does the organizer lay out the definition and cooking procedure for a fatty?

i've never gone to a comp, but i would guess that is like any other meat. you slice it and turn in your best pieces. you wouldnt fit 6 briskets into a turn in box either.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #81
cloob
Found some matches.

I am looking to smoke my first fatty this weekend. At what temp do I smoke it at and for how long?
cloob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #82
NeoTrout
is One Chatty Farker

Like he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
Seems like we talk about these all the time and it is one of the most asked questions of our new brethren(ette).

Buy yourself a log of breakfast sausage, you know the kind that you slice into patties and fry up in the skillet. Any kind will work, but we have pretty much settled on Jimmy Dean and Bob Evans. Cheaper brands tand to not taste any thing near that of the better brands, but tastes more like fat. Pick a flavor any flavor.

Take a knife and cut the wrapper off being careful to maintain the shape of the log. Place it in the smoker at your normal temps for smoking. Take it to 170 to insure doneness. This takes around 3 hours, but not usually more. I flip mine about half way through to get grate marks accross the top and the bottom.

Remove, slice, and enjoy.

Congratulations, you just smoked a fatty!

Next time, experiment with rubs or marinades if you care.

When they are on sale, I stock the freezer. I never fire up the smoker without tossing on a couple of fatties.

Klose 20x48 Deluxe Offset Pipe Smoker
Weber 22.5, Weber 22.5 w/Rotisserie
Weber Performer, Weber Ranch Kettle, 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Homer Simpson Smokey Joe
Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer, Blackstone 28" Griddle
Brinkmann Smoke'n Grill, UDS, Weber 26"
H-D FLHR
NeoTrout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #83
JD08
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloob View Post
I am looking to smoke my first fatty this weekend. At what temp do I smoke it at and for how long?
Personally, I do mine at 225-250. Use a probe for the internal temp of 165. It generally takes around two hours, but usually less than three.

Try doing a chub of Italian sausage with no stuffing, then slice and place on slices of French bread with a little chimicurri. Heaven.
JD08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #84
SmokekingSA
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Hi all. we don't get breakfast logs here. how would I go about making one? I thought a Fatty was pork sausage filling rolled flat then topped with things like Jalapeno and cheese, rolled up and then wrapped in bacon.
SmokekingSA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #85
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You can always make your own. Here's a "Jimmy Dean" clone recipe if you're looking for breakfast sausage. Just mix it together and skip the part about stuffing and make a log instead.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Link-JDean.pdf

A fatty can be any type of sausage. Stuffed, not stuffed, wrapped or naked. There's a thousand ways to make one. A naked fatty seems to be what you're asking about? That's nothing more than a log of breakfast sausage, coated with BBQ rub, and smoked to 170 degrees. Mmmmmm good.

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2014, 04:31 AM   #86
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Just to keep this with "What the heck is a Fatty" Serious sized fatties

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198282&highlight=GFS
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jimmy dean clone #85