The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Unread 04-12-2010, 12:28 AM   #16
BRBBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Ah...so many grasshoppers following in our footsteps!
You can talk me out of it, just buy my smoker
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #17
Konrad_Haskins
Knows what a fatty is.

Yes it's a lot of work. A common mistake is to start with prices too low. There are a lot of expenses including insurance. Don't try to be the cheapest, try to be the best. It's no fun if you're not making a little money.
Konrad_Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #18
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad_Haskins View Post
Yes it's a lot of work. A common mistake is to start with prices too low. There are a lot of expenses including insurance. Don't try to be the cheapest, try to be the best. It's no fun if you're not making a little money.
Amen. If you can't CLEAR 30% - 40% after all costs, including equipment ammortization, don't do it. No sense working for wages and eating the capital expenses. Groceries x 2.5 or 3 is a good number.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #19
BRBBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6Cop View Post
Try Tractor Supply Company, if you have one there. There is a guy in my neck of the woods who sells ribs, Q and fish out of his vending van at our local TSC.
You we're right on the money, the manager said YES. I got rejected every where I went, but TSC is a go.
Unread 05-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #20
Trucky1008
is One Chatty Farker

Just curious if you've got started vending at TSC? Is your TSC in the Bluffs or Omaha? I'd like to stop by.

Jambo Backyard
Fast Eddy FEC100 X2
BGE- Large x2
Certified MOINK Ball Maker, 2008
KCBS Member and CBJ
Extreme BBQ Trailer 8.5' x 22'
Trucky1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #21
timmy7649
Full Fledged Farker

when you all road side vend what time do you start your pork? i got mine down to 8 hrs. that means i would hav to get there by 2 to get the meat on by 3. wow that is early. how do you all do it ? if you dont mind me asking.
Unread 05-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #22
Cabntmkr1
is Blowin Smoke!

Check your local Lowe's stores.
In Wichita, I have seen hot dogs carts set up on the parking lots.
One of the operators stated to a friend of mine that she makes a lunch killing seven days a week.
Steve
[FONT=Arial]ServSafe Certified[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Déjà Moo - The feeling you've heard that bull before. [/FONT]
Cabntmkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #23
TexasGuppie
Full Fledged Farker

Default Something to think about...

Are there any Harley-Davidson dealers in your area?
Weekends are a time when these dealerships have a lot of lookers, current H-D owners and others who are just bored and dreaming of life on two-wheels not to mention a bunch of employees.
Walk into any of the newer dealerships and you'll often find a small food service or "cafe" and they are always busy; folks waiting for their bike to be serviced, tourists buying their newest t-shirt, etc.
Barnett's H-D in El Paso has free burgers and dogs on the weekends for those who make a purchase in the store, big or small and they cook them on a little gas grill and thay taste like crap BUT THEY ARE ALWAYS JAMMED WITH HUNGRY BIKERS!
Now fast-forward to you, some GREAT BBQ and reasonable prices. The smell alone will draw them to you, the dealer benefits if your fare is tasty and people want to come back next weekend (more t-shirt sales) and what food fits in with the biker culture better than BBQ?
Talk to the dealer, ask for a spot, offer to throw on some horrible frozen patties or mystery-meat dogs (at his expense) to give away to the shoppers that buy shirts and watch how quickly they are by-passing that junk to get some REAL GRUB.
I've talked with my local dealer and he sees it as a win-win situation. Of course it always helps when you have laid down $24k for a Harley (gives you a little leverage.)

Just my .02 worth.

-Guppie

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"You must go through the Valley to stand upon the mountain of God."[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]In Memory of Scott "E" Cook[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]3/29/1965-9/3/2006[/FONT]
TexasGuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #24
BRBBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuppie View Post
Are there any Harley-Davidson dealers in your area?
Weekends are a time when these dealerships have a lot of lookers, current H-D owners and others who are just bored and dreaming of life on two-wheels not to mention a bunch of employees.
Walk into any of the newer dealerships and you'll often find a small food service or "cafe" and they are always busy; folks waiting for their bike to be serviced, tourists buying their newest t-shirt, etc.
Barnett's H-D in El Paso has free burgers and dogs on the weekends for those who make a purchase in the store, big or small and they cook them on a little gas grill and thay taste like crap BUT THEY ARE ALWAYS JAMMED WITH HUNGRY BIKERS!
Now fast-forward to you, some GREAT BBQ and reasonable prices. The smell alone will draw them to you, the dealer benefits if your fare is tasty and people want to come back next weekend (more t-shirt sales) and what food fits in with the biker culture better than BBQ?
Talk to the dealer, ask for a spot, offer to throw on some horrible frozen patties or mystery-meat dogs (at his expense) to give away to the shoppers that buy shirts and watch how quickly they are by-passing that junk to get some REAL GRUB.
I've talked with my local dealer and he sees it as a win-win situation. Of course it always helps when you have laid down $24k for a Harley (gives you a little leverage.)

Just my .02 worth.

-Guppie
Thanks, I've been so busy I haven't had time to smoke anything. Vaction, school, Moving in laws, ect. Hope to get back on track in 4 weeks.
Unread 06-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #25
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

I have a great working relationship with my HD dealer. I buy my stuff there, he uses me to cater.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #26
Terry Knife
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy7649 View Post
when you all road side vend what time do you start your pork? i got mine down to 8 hrs. that means i would hav to get there by 2 to get the meat on by 3. wow that is early. how do you all do it ? if you dont mind me asking.

When I go mobile, my plan is to smoke today and serve tomorrow. My smoker converts well to reheat so it'll only be on-site for that, and do to be eye-catching.

Any breweries near you? We're going to be looking to serve at "Pint Nights" and things like that, beyond parking lots.
Terry Knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #27
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy7649 View Post
Large cooks beginning of the week. Brisket and pork reheat excellent. Ribs and chicken are cooked fresh daily.
Northern midwest director for OBR
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote