The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #16
cjallen85
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Sounds good. It somewhere to start I will definately try that first and see where I get. Thanks Definately glad I joined this site!
cjallen85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #17
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

You need more draft, If I were trying to tune that monster I would make the stack at least 2 or 3 feet longer to induce more draft.

You could also try placing some steel tuning plates over your hole from the firebox to the cook chamber, below grate level and slide them around making gaps until you can get the convection down.

You could probably use a bit more intake size as well.
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #18
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjallen85 View Post
It does leak a bit. there is a silicone gasket around the doors that works pretty well. Its not leak proof but its pretty good. the hole that joins the smoke box to barrel is 6in by 4in. Didnt know if it was to small
i have never seen it, but i have heard reference to a thread about sizing your firebox and opening in relation to your smoke chamber. i could be wrong but that hole sounds pretty small in relation to the area you are trying to heat. have you ever checked your temp coming out of your exhaust pipe?

Unread 06-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #19
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Definately could use some tuning plates or take a 6 to 8 inch pipe and run it from the fire box to the other side. Cut holes in the pipe starting with small holes close to the fire box and getting larger as you get to the other end. Definately need more draw on your exhaust ( bigger Pipe ) and higher. Also needs a larger intake.

Just my .02

Spice

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT, PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #20
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Get a bigger exhaust , you haven't good air flow. Also maybe a bigger intake can't make it out on the pic. You can't get your exhaust too large always can block it off
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #21
cjallen85
Got Wood.

You think a larger diameter exhaust pipe? or just add on to that one?

Unread 06-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #22
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicewine View Post
Definately could use some tuning plates or take a 6 to 8 inch pipe and run it from the fire box to the other side. Cut holes in the pipe starting with small holes close to the fire box and getting larger as you get to the other end. Definately need more draw on your exhaust ( bigger Pipe ) and higher. Also needs a larger intake.

Just my .02

Spice
Coming from Spicewine, I would say that is about $200 worth of advice.

Unread 06-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #23
deathamphetamine
is one Smokin' Farker

i had the same thing going.... I scrapped it. Now i am gonna use the double barrel chamber just for pigs, if I get around to it. I like Spicewine's answer, you should try those mods. I'd love to see you get this cooker cookin! Who knows, it might motivate me to finish this one. That thing would look super mean with a big chrome stack!!!

Unread 06-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #24
cjallen85
Got Wood.

Thanks for the advice guys. It definately helps a lot. Don't know to many around here into these kind of projects. I will keep everyone posted on the project. There is a BBq comp at the end of august I want to have this cooker ready for up until now I was using webers and store model offsets to cook on.

Unread 06-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #25
KSims1868
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys. It definately helps a lot. Don't know to many around here into these kind of projects. I will keep everyone posted on the project. There is a BBq comp at the end of august I want to have this cooker ready for up until now I was using webers and store model offsets to cook on.
I know I'm going to sound like a broken record but seriously...if you have access to 55 gal drums like that you REALLY should consider building a UDS since you obviously have fabricating skills. A UDS will really surprise you. Until I cooked on 1...I was skeptical as well. Now that I'm cooking on a UDS I have 3 friends building their own as we speak to replace their cheap-o store bought off-set smokers.

Unread 06-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #26
cjallen85
Got Wood.

I just dont think the uds has the room that i am trying to achieve. but for and extra smoker for around the house I will definately try that out. It will be my next project. The girlfriend is gonna love seeing me build yet another grill lol.

Unread 06-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #27
cjallen85
Got Wood.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicewine View Post

Just my .02

Spice
Thanks Spice,
I am going to add these mods and will let you know of my progress, thanks.

Unread 06-07-2010, 10:59 PM   #28
cjallen85
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathamphetamine View Post
i had the same thing going.... I scrapped it. Now i am gonna use the double barrel chamber just for pigs, if I get around to it. I like Spicewine's answer, you should try those mods. I'd love to see you get this cooker cookin! Who knows, it might motivate me to finish this one. That thing would look super mean with a big chrome stack!!!
I am definately working night and day on this smoker. I will let you know how this works out thanks!

Unread 06-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #29
Wampus

Quote:
I just dont think the uds has the room that i am trying to achieve. but for and extra smoker for around the house I will definately try that out. It will be my next project. The girlfriend is gonna love seeing me build yet another grill lol.

Yes, but for a lot less work, you could use 2 or 3 UDS's and cook a lot of meat. I mean, unless you're looking to go whole hog. I got 12 racks of baby backs on my UDS this weekend all at once. I could put 6 or 8 butts on there too.

Hell.....what am I saying....I've GOT one and I'm looking as I type this for an offset. You already look like you're on your way, just need some tweaking.

Yeah.....never mind. GO FOR IT!!!
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #30
big brother smoke

Welp, how much fuel and what type of fuel you using?

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314