Changes in product

B

Buster Dog BBQ

So far three items I use in competition the last couple years has now disappeared from my grocers shelves and been substituted with cheaper price/quality products. Being in a town with a dominant grocer really sucks because they have so much control. While I was able to get one item ordered, that probably won't always be the case. Just hate changing during the year.

Anyone else having similar problems?

I understand your frustration. I may be able to help. What are you talking about?? ;-)

Great news Todd. With 412 varieties of KC Masterpiece I knew sweet molasses with honey chipolte's days were numbered. :)

But on a more serious note, my grocer had sold 8 pack's of Smart chicken now they phased out all but a couple varieties and replaced with Gold N Plump. He's still going to be able to get me 4 packs but can't guarantee when he will have it. I can always go to another grocer but the product never seems as fresh. I could also change brands but prefer to do that end of the year. The other products I jumped through a lot of hoops to get special orders.

I special order my chicken every comp week. I assume you are talking Hy Vee right? There are two here in Ames and one works with me, the other not so much. If your guy there won't work with you, then perhaps try another. It stands to reason though that if the chain carries the brand, they can get it for you.

I special order my chicken every comp week. I assume you are talking Hy Vee right? There are two here in Ames and one works with me, the other not so much. If your guy there won't work with you, then perhaps try another. It stands to reason though that if the chain carries the brand, they can get it for you.
Actually it was Dahl's. The Hy-Vee closest to my house isn't real friendly on special orders but I was able to get another one to get a product for me special order. Maybe tomorrow night I can get some more details from you.

One of my other products was parsley from Lofredo. I used to get a nice one pound cleaned and washed bag. The last one i bought was a different brand and not so good.

I have always used Sams baby backs. this year they have a green label on them. They tell me just the label has changed and its the same ribs. I'm not so sure about that, they just don't seem to have the same firmness when trimming them up.

Rod, which Dahl's are you using?
The one on grand seems to always have the smart chicken-although it's about 40-60 cents per pound more than hy-vee.

Id just like to find a package of chicken thighs that Didn't have the skin from half the chicken neatly tucked under the thigh...:mad:

Whats the going rate for chicken skin per lb.?

I have always used Sams baby backs. this year they have a green label on them. They tell me just the label has changed and its the same ribs. I'm not so sure about that, they just don't seem to have the same firmness when trimming them up.

Don, you go ahead and use those ribs. I'm looking elsewhere. Used them 3 times and they just don't cook that same as the ribs Sams used to carry. Fatty and there cut uneven. Hopefully they will change back.

The Sams bone in butts have taken me two hours longer to cook on average then normal. Same temps
and sizes.

Mike, Dahls by Waukee

I feel your pain Rod, I have ordered Chicken for contest week from HyVee TWICE....and TWICE it didn't arrive. Maybe the third times a charm??

The Sams bone in butts have taken me two hours longer to cook on average then normal. Same temps
and sizes.

Mike, Dahls by Waukee

Haven't noticed that on the butts but the briskets have been taking longer for sure.

Just curios... could anyone explain the possible reasons/science behind that?:confused:

I'm not one to ask for scientific reasoning. :confused:

Well, if all the variables remain consistent, i:e, cooker temp, apprx meat weight...ect, just wondering why the meats are taking longer to cook. Could it be things such as fat content/or lack there of for example?

One of my other products was parsley from Lofredo. I used to get a nice one pound cleaned and washed bag. The last one i bought was a different brand and not so good.

I'm lucky if the produce guy at Roundys has the half case I order when its time to pick it up Thursdays--and when its not Italian parsley its almost a bonus!

[QUOTE

But on a more serious note, my grocer had sold 8 pack's of Smart chicken now they phased out all but a couple varieties and replaced with Gold N Plump. I could also change brands but prefer to do that end of the year. The other products I jumped through a lot of hoops to get special orders.[/QUOTE]

Checked out a new meat place in the area--they can't get briskets but am trying a new chicken brand they carry this weekend--bell and evans--should be similar to the Smart chicken I'm hoping. In fact a guy by the name of Jaime may stop and see you in KC this weekend--he is a meat guy of sorts at this new market

Back