The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Unread 04-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Certified Kitchen & Storage question

If you gain the use of an offsite certified kitchen, can you cooked the "prepped" meat anywhere? If a different site, what is most likely required for transporting the uncooked prepped meat?

2nd question
If you use an offsite certified kitchen, do you have to store stock there, or would a dedicated commercial fridge anywhere suffice?

I'd like to get started in a little catering and want to get some ducks in a row before asking the HD.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Bbq Bubba

Honestly, if your just going to do private parties, skip the kitchen & HD & cook onsite.
A kitchen would be used for prep, cooking & storage transporting varies county to county. You can NOT store food items anywhere but that kitchen. .
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Talking to the HD is not necessarily a bad thing, and may help shorten your research time on what to do where. Cooked on site will help you avoid the situation all together.

Every place is different - Lotta hoops we jump thru here in So Cal for catering. We're lucky and have an FDA approved commercial kitchen to work out of, so a lot of the headaches and worry have gone away.

Best of luck!
Twitter - @ranchoagogo @ranchotogobbq
www.ranchotogobbq.com
C Rocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
JD McGee

Yup...what they said...^^^...I only do "private gigs"...(not public)...and I prep/cook everything on-site. High heat pork butts and briskets are a lifesaver btw...
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

I was talking to the HD in San Antonio recently. They told me that for private party's I have no obligation at all to any HD rules.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 06:50 AM   #6
thillin

I'm thinking of trying to get my comp trailer certified. I just want to be open to more than onsite private partys in the future.
Weber 1 touch CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:36 AM   #7
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillin View Post
I'm thinking of trying to get my comp trailer certified. I just want to be open to more than onsite private partys in the future.
Welcome to a wonderful new world. The HD is your firend, be nice to them and under no circumstances make them mad (right Bubba). Seriuosly it's a big step form approved vending windows to self closing doors to ceiling ventilation to commercial refrigeration to writing SOP's here in MI to .....) But when done you can not only cater but also vend so it's a big plus if you're serious about doing BBQ for money.

And if all you want to do is cater then don't do it. Way to much cost and hassle. If you can have a regular job and do a gig on a weekend you can cook anywhere so long as it's a private party and you don't tell. Even cook, freeze and reheat pork, etc.
Unread 04-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
thillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Welcome to a wonderful new world. The HD is your firend, be nice to them and under no circumstances make them mad (right Bubba). Seriuosly it's a big step form approved vending windows to self closing doors to ceiling ventilation to commercial refrigeration to writing SOP's here in MI to .....) But when done you can not only cater but also vend so it's a big plus if you're serious about doing BBQ for money.

And if all you want to do is cater then don't do it. Way to much cost and hassle. If you can have a regular job and do a gig on a weekend you can cook anywhere so long as it's a private party and you don't tell. Even cook, freeze and reheat pork, etc.
I need some of the parts from your old trailer.

I'd like to be able to some vending at festivals in the future or roadside. This is solely secondary. I have a fulltime job that is primary, but would like to suppliment my income since I have 3-4 days off each week.
Weber 1 touch CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty