***VOTE - BBQ Brethren "Cast Iron" Throwdown - VOTE***

Who should win the BBQ Brethren "Cast Iron" Throwdown?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
It is time to decide the winner of the [size=+2]"Cast Iron"[/size] Throwdown!

The winner will be announced after the poll closes on Saturday 4/10.

Click Here to go to the Throwdown thread for more pics/info on the entries.

[size=+2]1 T Scot[/size]
1_T_Scot.jpg

[size=+2]Boat-n-BBQ[/size]
Boat-n-BBQ.jpg

[size=+2]BobBrisket[/size]
BobBrisket.jpg

[size=+2]bowhnter[/size]
bowhnter.jpg

[size=+2]cmcadams[/size]
cmcadams.jpg

[size=+2]Cracklin Jeorge[/size]
Cracklin_Jeorge.jpg

[size=+2]Derek[/size]
Derek.jpg

[size=+2]Hofy[/size]
Hofy.jpg

[size=+2]jagardn[/size]
jagardn.jpg

[size=+2]KnucklHed BBQ[/size]
KnucklHed_BBQ.jpg

[size=+2]Meat Burner[/size]
Meat_Burner.jpg

[size=+2]MikeR[/size]
MikeR.jpg

[size=+2]Niek[/size]
Niek.jpg

[size=+2]Paulmark[/size]
Paulmark.jpg

[size=+2]RDOwens[/size]
RDOwens.jpg

[size=+2]rolf[/size]
rolf.jpg

[size=+2]Ron L[/size]
Ron_L.jpg

[size=+2]Shiz-Nit[/size]
Shiz-Nit.jpg

[size=+2]Sparky[/size]
Sparky.jpg

[size=+2]swamprb[/size]
swamprb.jpg

[size=+2]swibirun[/size]
swibirun.jpg

[size=+2]The BBQ QB[/size]
The_BBQ_QB.jpg

[size=+2]thirdeye[/size]
thirdeye.jpg

[size=+2]tjus77[/size]
tjus77.jpg

[size=+2]ZILLA[/size]
ZILLA.jpg

Wow! So many awesome entries. I went with Rolf for the overall package - use of a griddle and cast iron grates, balanced meal (gotta eat your veggies), colors that pop, and great grill marks on the meat. What nailed it for me was the wisp of smoke and the glowing charcoal visible through the grates. Outstanding!

Wow! So many awesome entries. I went with Rolf for the overall package - use of a griddle and cast iron grates, balanced meal (gotta eat your veggies), colors that pop, and great grill marks on the meat. What nailed it for me was the wisp of smoke and the glowing charcoal visible through the grates. Outstanding!
+1, So many good looking entries, but had to go with Rolf's!

Wow. For once I didn't even have to think. The pineapple upside down cake was it as soon as I saw it. (I did look at the rest of the entries to make sure). :thumb:

All very tasty looking entries, best of luck to all of the contestants. I'm having a heck of a time deciding.

I'm very surprised that we didn't see any entries for two foods that are cast iron skillet classics...

Chicken Fried Steak

Fried Chicken

I can't cook either one worth a darn, was hoping for some inspiration.

Chris

Tough one. I may not vote at all just so I don't feel like I'm doing any deserving farkers a disservice :biggrin:

The lighting, the composition, the smoke, oh yeah and the food... Rolf. There were other great shots, but Rolf organized and presented a lot of elements in a coherent and appetizing presentation. Great work.

Best throwdown I've ever seen! I'd say if you put all the entries together you'd have one helluva chapter on cast iron cooking... maybe even a small book on it's own. This is truly inspirational. I'm not voting yet, just can't decide!

Dont consider cooking on a Cast Iron Grate.....Cast Iron Cooking....

Why not?I'm not trying to stir the pot,but just wondering.The rules didn't specify Dutch oven or CI skillet,so I figure that anything goes,again,just my thinking.After all,it is cooking on CI:confused:.I guess that I won't get a single vote(which I obviously don't deserve),since I voted for Rolf:roll:.I just like sharing pics:-D

FWIW, I chose the topic and I see nothing wrong with cooking on CI vs in it.

The throwdown, is more about your personal inspiration and desire to try something new or old, while along the way sharing a little of that life experience with the rest of us.

Is participation large because the restrictions on the throwdown are light? Possibly. But, in the end I just wanted an excuse to play with my CI. I'm glad to see so many others wanted one too.

Mike D

The picture of my cast iron is in the cooking thread along with several other pictures of the process.

I for one think there is a very big difference in cooking in cast iron and cooking on a grill with cast iron grates. I entered knowing the rules though and knew going in what I was going to see, but it was still fun. Not everyone on the forum can cook over a live fire in the backyard so the inclusion of cast iron grates was more to broaden the field and include more members than anything else, and that's cool with me. I do wish we could all take as nice a picture as some of the others can.

Why not?I'm not trying to stir the pot,but just wondering.The rules didn't specify Dutch oven or CI skillet,so I figure that anything goes,again,just my thinking.After all,it is cooking on CI:confused:.I guess that I won't get a single vote(which I obviously don't deserve),since I voted for Rolf:roll:.I just like sharing pics:-D

I personally like having the limitation to overcome and allowing CI grates seems to eliminate the limitation completely. I always award extra points to those who have a unique or unusual way to address the category limitation -- points for difficulty and uniqueness, essentially. These are worth the most points. There is also (in decreasing order of importance) drool factor, photography, layout, what I am hungry for when I cast my vote, having the suggestion of an alcoholic beverage, side dishes, and of course having a really cool looking castle in the background. While I agree that a perfect picture of a perfectly grilled steak scores at the top in drool, in uniqueness and difficulty it is not so high. Pineapple upside down cake scores VERY high in uniqueness and difficulty, but lower in drool. I also will award handicap points for people who intentionally submit something otherwise thought to be inedible, like chicken salad or broccoli to a BBQ throwdown. These Qers may have a screw or two loose, but you have to admit they have balls and I feel they should be awarded for trying to turn nonfood into food.

There is no right and no wrong way to vote, otherwise every throwdown would have a unanimous winner and the zero club would not be so exclusive.

Any opinions expressed here are likely to change in the near future, especially with regards to Throwdown voting. The important thing is to have fun and take home some new ideas.

Back