עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Unread 03-08-2010, 10:36 PM   #16
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Well said Shipmate!
+1 Yup

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous

"Walk with Us"
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 11:05 PM   #17
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Chet, remember what Johnny always says: Want to make a million dollars in the restaurant business? Start with two million.

I know you are already feeling the financial squeeze. My advice is concentrate on catering - the risk is much lower.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 12:09 AM   #18
Professor Salt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post

+1 Yup
Ditto what brother chuckwagon said. All of it is right on.

I used to work for a wholesale pizza factory. I sold parbaked pizza crusts to a miniature golf place which was one of my best customers. The crusts I sold were the cheapest POS products my company made and they turned them into cheap, doughy POS pizzas, which sold well because kids didn't care about what they put in their maws. Parents were willing to spend money on that, but at the putt putt I'm talking about, no way in hell that real BBQ was gonna sell for a price worth the time and effort to do it right.

Of course, since your putt putt place is brand new, it might be different from mine, but I doubt it. Since putt putt golf is a cheap, family entertainment, you're gonna be stuck with people who are mainly concerned about low prices, and that's a losing proposition for any serious BBQ cook. My $.02
I cook on two WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber kettle, a Komodo Kamado plus UDS.
Super-fast purple Thermapen
Professor Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #19
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Lots of good advice. You can do serious BBQ for catering. For the golf thing, pulled pork, smoked hot dogs, Keith's chicken breasts and smoked burgers. Cost is lower for the customer and you still make your margin. Other than the pork everything cooks in 2 hours or less so you don't need a huge quantity. Adding a bag of chips and pop is a great idea. Now this is assuming the kitchen has it's license and there's no additional cost to you.

And hand out flyers to everybody about your catering service.

Last edited by Ford; 03-09-2010 at 08:21 AM..
Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #20
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

There's some great information here already. As usual. However, there's some stuff missing imho, what are you going to be cooking on, ill go ahead and assume the backwoods, since you're a dealer. Also, whats the rent? Or is he just letting you use the kitchen, see if you're successful than slap you with some outrageous rent because he sees you doing more business than he is.
All said and done, keep it simple to start. Putt Putt is kids and tween stuff, burger, dogs, fries, ckn fingers, frozen pizza would be the staple to start. You can keep them all frozen and cook as needed.
As far as the que goes. Pork shoulder, you could easily get 2 days out of the product with proper storage and reheat. Ribs, dicey in my opinion, you could make 2 dozen racks and be sitting on 23. Chuck roast, pulled or sliced as others have said. Smoked sausage. Mac, potato, cole slaw, chips.
I know you're trying to do it with minimal outlay, but it is someone elses place, so it's gonna take something to make something.
Unread 03-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #21
lazybonesmoke1
Full Fledged Farker

How about smoked chicken legs or bbq pork nachos? There are alot of variables here. It doesn't have to be perfect in the beginning. I would warn you though, If you start putting out crap in the beginning even to kids you might get a bad reputation that is hard to turn around. Start out what you do because that's what you love to do not because of money.
lazybonesmoke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #22
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

I would probably check out the best BBQ joint you know and try to immulate their menu. Why re-invent the wheel. With the internet you can probably do this online. Then add a signature item or two. Probably in the appetizer area.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #23
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

God grant you success in your venture, whereever it leads!

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is online now   Reply With Quote