The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: What is a Priority to master FIRST
Creating BBQ that EATs well for many? 81 96.43%
Creating BBQ that places or wins for a few Judges. 3 3.57%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 01-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #16
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
For me, I can't answer the poll since I want to do both. I cook at home for me and the family and I cook at competitions to win. Others will be in the same boat, plus we have plenty of members who don't compete and are only concerned in cooking for themselves and family and another set of members who only cook for competitions because they are tired of BBQ and eat something else at home. This is why we have Q-talk and Competition sections of the forum.
If you exhibit any of the qualities that Ron Prescribes, you will find, it is not possible to actually vote for two. LOL

I am certainly okay with anyone not participating in this poll. Just, if you can, in much the same way we (not even I) do not make commentary in various threads about why we are not commenting, please vote and comment maybe about why.

To RON personally, so we don't get this mixed up, I think he states an EXCELLENT paradox that maybe I should have added in the poll (I can't vote for one because I do both) VERY good comment so I am glad he made it. It is food for thought, but this poll is to get a sort of pecking order. I got an email instance that read

"I already have tender brisket so I can't vote for that" is not the point. What do you master FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who do you cook for FIRST!!!!!!!!

I think anyone who say TO WIN is like the guy who says I already he has a tender brisket. Somewhere along the line, I am willing to bet, your cooking BBQ skills were honed for a group and not competition.

I am surprised with those that chose "Taste" over Texture so I am glad we are doing this poll. I would never have thought that would be the case. This is great food for thought.

Unread 01-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #17
Big Mike's BBQ
On the road to being a farker

I guess I voted wrong now that I think about it. I voted for the judges option. I think that it is alot easier to master cooking for the masses. Just look at this forum. How many times have you seen a post that askes. I am cooking for 200 and I just can't seem to get my flavor right? But there are a ton of questions from cooks that want to know how to win contests. I bring in leftovers to work with me. Doesn't matter if I had a top ten call or finished DAL, they love it. Even as big and as popular as this sport we love has become, there are still alot of people out there that do not know what great BBQ is.

Big Mike
Big Mike's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #18
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

One more comment for those that are in the same condition as Ron (which is a legitimate one) and here's why and how you SHOULD vote.

Okay, so you want to do both. Trying to balance cooking for the judges and the masses is a noble and difficult task.

BUT... if you were teaching a newbie, you WOULD have to settle on one style FIRST, you may teach both, but you would HAVE to teach something first and along the way mention caveats like "now this will win at a tournament but in the back yard its not worth the trouble."

Should a guy that wants to master as quickly as possible the task of desilverskinning 40 racks of ribs? Should they inject 40 butts?

Conversely, should a guy that wants to start his VERY FIRST BRISKET TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE ARK ROYAL by injecting and foiling and what not?

Now yes those are two different people but tell me.... who is gonna waste more brisket? The Guy that can already make a tender, moist, and tasty brisket in his backyard already or the guy reaching for the stars?

Unread 01-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #19
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
If you exhibit any of the qualities that Ron Prescribes, you will find, it is not possible to actually vote for two. LOL
Which is why I said that i can't vote. Both are important to me.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #20
DubSmoke
On the road to being a farker

good eats man... i dont care what number a judge would give me. my friends and family are the most important judges i know!
DubSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #21
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post

I am surprised with those that chose "Taste" over Texture so I am glad we are doing this poll. I would never have thought that would be the case. This is great food for thought.
This is why I didn't vote in the other poll. Texture is very important and so intermingled with taste - you EXPECT it (whatever the meat of choice) to have that certain something for both qualities at the same time with the first bite. A conundrum for me.
deguerre is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #22
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

I would be thrilled just to be consistent ;-)
markrvp is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #23
MilitantSquatter

Definitely creating BBQ that is great to eat not comps...

Comp BBQ is a totally different animal and IMO should be a bi-product of what you've learned to master if you decide to participate.. unfortunately in today's comp scene, for many it's all about getting the winning results immediately without paying dues experimenting and just wanting to mimic what others are doing.

Unread 01-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #24
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

Uploads: 1

From my own experience;
I have spent years working on my Q. To satisfy myself, my family, and others (in that order)
Starting last year I decided to try my hand at competitions, to see where my own Q stacked up against the "pros"

I am now working on learning what judges like, and am finding that it depends almost entirely upon regional preference.

While any particular CBJ may have been taught to judge by the same criteria as other CBJs, individual judge's own opinions are what drive the score, and opinions are subjective.

Bottom line: i will continue cooking what I enjoy, and will tweak my recipes to (hopefully) suit the judges that particular day.

So the question; which one to we learn to cook for first? My vote went for myself & others.

Back to back winner of the BBQ Brethren Throwdown with a pig leg and something funky
CBBQA & KCBS member: Sir Porkalot BBQ Team
NC & NorCal (Yes I stay confused)
BLUE Thermapen
Visit my website: http://www.sirporkalot.com
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote