MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
Tinybud
Take a breath!

Default American Legion kitchen

A couple weeks ago I was talking to a friend that is on the board for our local American Legion (wasn't a member at the time) Starting asking a few questions about their kitchen and dining room. He said that they just renewed their license with the health dept, but no one was using the kitchen, so I inquired with him about using it to open up to the members and use it for our catering business, He loved the idea of having someone in their using it, Had a board meeting, and staring Jan. 15th Tiny's Bar-b-que will be opening up to the members and guest of the Beech Creek, PA American Legion. Only cost we have for using the facility is to cover the increase in their electric, and the propane we use, which they have a seperate propane tank for the kitchen. We're really excited to get started, Have worked out a pretty good menu. I know allot of folks here have been looking for a commercial space to do some cooking out of, take a look at your local social clubs as more than likely they have a commercial kitchen and might not have anyone using it.. So 2010 is starting off good for us. Hoping it all goes well..
6ft. Southern Yankee
Meadow Creek Caterer's Delight 108
Caldera Tallboy
Tinybud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Outstanding!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2010, 01:39 AM   #3
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Thats great news! I am in a similar situation with the local Catholic War Veterans post (which my father is currently commander of...) for them to sponger my competition team for the low-low cost of allowing me access to the licensed kitchen for catering...

Old 01-11-2010, 05:30 AM   #4
armor
is one Smokin' Farker

that's great! I may check into that.

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
armor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

We are trying to work a similiar deal with our local Elks Lodge.

Pete
fireman_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

Hoy chit why didn't i think of that! Thats great news for yo guys! congrats and good luck

Old 01-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

As a past American Legion Post Commander,i know the only time our kitchen was used was for benefits or fund raisers.This was probably every 2-3 months and the rest of the time the kitchen did not seen any use unless some one rented the hall .
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
BBQ_MAFIA

Congrats on the good news. I wish you good luck.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

So for Tinybud and others who do this, are you driving your smokers up to the place do the prep inside and cook in the parking lot? I am trying to do this as well, but am having a difficult time figuring out logistics. Thanks!
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]

Last edited by musicmanryann; 01-18-2010 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: typo
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
bam
is One Chatty Farker

Best of luck now that you are legal. My family had a deal with a local bar that wasn't using their kitchen.The owners sold the place new owners had their own people. Where is Beech Creek Pa.? Any where near Philly?
bam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #11
bbqpitstop

This is exactly how I started my bbq business years ago using a local moose lodge's kitchen. A little unsolilcited advise to keep it running smooth.

Always take a thorough beginning inventory of all smallwares so that upon outgrowing the facility there won't be dispute as to what is whos

Always leave the kitchen cleaner than you found it, everday.

Come to an agreement in advance regarding who else can use the kitchen in the case of events or other groups bringing in their own food.

Agree whether you will offer your food to outside sources or the public and if they are allowed entry to the lodge to pickup.

Consider allowing other members to learn how to run your smoker and to use it for their non profit fundraising efforts. It shows goodwill and creates more interest in bbq itself

Coordinate what type of safeguards you'll have in place should you end up hiring help. Protection from theft, damage, etc. are important to lodges due to slim operating budgets.

Offer to pay for the cleaning of hoods, exhausts and occasional thorough cleaning of floors if you're utilizing the fryers, salamanders or grills.

Ultimately we had a great experience with this as a startup venue and we still retain a lot of customers from our Moose lodge. We eventually went to a public venue to have our own kitchen but overall it was a cost effective way to test the water on the marketability of our product.

Good going and I highly recommend this for anyone thinking of starting a restaurant so they can get a taste of what it's really like to be responsible for the day to day operation before laying out the big bucks.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanryann View Post
So for Tinybud and others who do this, are you driving your smokers up to the place do the prep inside and cook in the parking lot? I am trying to do this as well, but am having a difficult time figuring out logistics. Thanks!
If this is how i had to go, then yes. Everything would have to be prepped and cooked at the commissary. In some states, this still may not even work as you have to have your cooker enclosed so check your local regs before you get carried away.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #13
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinybud View Post
A couple weeks ago I was talking to a friend that is on the board for our local American Legion (wasn't a member at the time) Starting asking a few questions about their kitchen and dining room. He said that they just renewed their license with the health dept, but no one was using the kitchen, so I inquired with him about using it to open up to the members and use it for our catering business, He loved the idea of having someone in their using it, Had a board meeting, and staring Jan. 15th Tiny's Bar-b-que will be opening up to the members and guest of the Beech Creek, PA American Legion. Only cost we have for using the facility is to cover the increase in their electric, and the propane we use, which they have a seperate propane tank for the kitchen. We're really excited to get started, Have worked out a pretty good menu. I know allot of folks here have been looking for a commercial space to do some cooking out of, take a look at your local social clubs as more than likely they have a commercial kitchen and might not have anyone using it.. So 2010 is starting off good for us. Hoping it all goes well..
same question as BBQ Bubba ive been thinking of doing this at our local AL as well...issue is other than meat prep who is cooking the BBQ in a kitchen? Its still being done on a smoker that does not reside in the actual kitchen thus the health dept by me frowns on it..so not sure what the use of an approved commercial kitchen will buy me

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #14
JD McGee

Wow...what an offer! Congrats! I'm still lookin' for a catering kitchen here...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #15
smoke it if ya got it
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Wow...what an offer! Congrats! I'm still lookin' for a catering kitchen here...
Hey JD Have you tried some of the local schools some of them offer a kitchen rental for local events. That's what I plan on using over here. My wife working there also helps. They are charging me $25.00 bucks each time. It's mainly for community members.

[COLOR=red]Rub it till it smokes![/COLOR]
smoke it if ya got it is offline   Reply With Quote